Skip to main content

Health Services

askUS work in partnership with NHS services in the community to ensure that you get the care and support that you need while you study at Salford.

Getting treatment

In order to make sure that you are able to access medical treatment as soon as possible when you need it, it is recommended that you register with a GP as soon as you arrive at University.

Click here to find out more about how to register with a GP.

Your GP is generally the first medical professional to contact when you feel unwell. However, many illnesses such as coughs and colds can be treated over the counter at your local pharmacy.  

To familiarise yourself with which actions you should take when you are ill or injure yourself, you can take a look at the following website: Right Treatment, Right Place.

Got immediate concerns about your health?

In an emergency always call 999 for immediate help. 

If you have an urgent health concern which isn’t life threatening you can always phone 111

Help with healthcare costs

Full time students under the age of 19 do not have to pay prescription charges. You just need to complete a HNC1 claim form which is available from your Doctor's Surgery or the Student Life Advice Desk in University House.

If you are over 19 and on a low income you may be able to get help with healthcare costs - click here to find out more.

Healthcare for international students

International students on a full time course lasting 6 months or longer are entitled to free NHS hospital treatment. If your spouse or children live with you throughout your course they are also entitled to free hospital treatment. More information is available from the British Council

Dental care 

There are a number of local dentists offering regular appointments and urgent care. You can find a dentist on the NHS Choices website by entering your postcode under ‘Find local services’ and clicking ‘Dentists’. If you need it, the University postcode is M5 4WT.