Skip to main content

Wellbeing FAQs

Our 24-hour Student CareFirst telephone helpline provides emotional support by trained counsellors.

If it would help to talk to someone call 0333 212 5968

We are a team of experienced Counsellors and Wellbeing Advisors with a diverse background in mental health settings.

We provide a range of advice and support in managing the various difficulties which students are faced with whilst studying at University.

This can include information and guidance for managing mental health issues, academic difficulties or personal life stress. Typically this is provided in the first instance by telephone consultation with one of our Wellbeing Advisors to explore the type of support you may need, If appropriate, one to one counselling is also available.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) says “Mental health is not just the absence of mental disorder. It is defined as a state of well-being in which every individual realizes his or her own potential, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to her or his community.” Counselling and Wellbeing are here to help all students in achieving this during their time at University.

You can complete our Online Wellbeing Form here. You can also contact the service on 0161 295 0023 (option 1 then 1) for an informal chat and to discuss the service in more detail. Alternatively you can email or visit the askUS advice desk in University House.

Typically upon completing our Online Wellbeing Form you will be contacted by a Wellbeing adviser within 3 working days for an initial phone call. During this call they will identify how best you can be supported with your difficulties and will make suggestions for next steps which may involve further appointments with the Wellbeing service. You can also contact Wellbeing on 0161 295 0023 (option 1 then option 1) between the hours of 9am-5pm Monday-Friday.

The British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) says “Counselling and psychotherapy are umbrella terms that cover a range of talking therapies. They are delivered by trained practitioners who work with people over a short or long term to help them bring about effective change and/or enhance their wellbeing”

At the University of Salford our team of counsellor’s work on a short term basis to address a range of issues commonly experienced by students, whether related to their mental health, personal life or academic difficulties. This is achieved by giving you the chance to talk openly in a confidential setting with an experienced professional, which can help you to gain clarity and develop a deeper understanding of yourself. As a result you may be able to identify behavioural changes and coping skills which can help to overcome any difficulties you are experiencing.

The first step is to complete the Online Wellbeing Form after which a Wellbeing Advisor will call you for an initial phone assessment and determine how we are best able to support you. If it felt that counselling is an appropriate intervention then you will be placed on the counselling waiting list.

You will normally wait for 4-6 weeks but this can go up to 6-8 weeks in busy times. You will be offered appointments 3 times once on the waiting list. If a student turns down their offer it can be a while before they are offered again.

This depends on the individual needs of each student when they meet with their counsellor, but typically the service works to a 6 session model.

The service we offer is confidential, which means we will not discuss your situation with anyone outside of the service, unless you have provided us with consent. Exceptions to this rule apply only if there are legal or statutory obligations to disclose or if there is a risk of harm to yourself or to others. We will discuss this further in our first appointment with you.

In accordance with professional practice, we do keep statistical information of students accessing the service and make notes about what happens during sessions which are saved to your records. These records are strictly confidential and not shared outside our service.

Unfortunately we won’t be able to see you that day if you have missed your appointment as we have other appointments booked in. If you are late we won’t be able to extend the appointment for the same reason. You will need to re-book the appointment in the usual way. If you miss or come late to a counselling appointment you may not be offered further appointments (as agreed in your contract when you first meet with the counsellor).

The best place to get support for PMCs is from the Salford Student Union.If you feel unable to sit an exam or submit a piece of coursework due to your wellbeing, we would be happy to support you. We can discuss PMCs but suggest that you consult the Union for practical advice regarding the process and the timeframes involved.

If you have had thoughts of suicide recently, or if you are feeling suicidal now, contact someone immediately for help:

During the hours of 9am-5pm Monday-Friday please contact Counselling and wellbeing on 0161 295 0023 (option 1 then 1) or email us at

Contact your GP for out of hours services. If you have already taken an overdose or cut yourself badly, dial 999.

Call NHS 111

Papyrus HOPELineUK (support for people feeling suicidal): 0800 0684141

Samaritans: 116 123

Sanctuary (Helpline in the day, safe place to go at night): 0300 003 7029

Crisis Point: 0161 225 9500 (Manchester residents only)

Anxiety UK INFOline:  08444 775 774

CALM (support for men) 0800 58 58 58

Nightline – information on the back of your student ID card

If you or others feel at risk or consider the situation to be an emergency, you can call the Police on 999.

You can contact the University’s Security Service by phone from any campus, or go to the Security Office at Maxwell Well on Peel Park Campus, 24 hours a day (down the road to left of main Maxwell entrance then turn right and ring the intercom).

If you require medical treatment but not urgently, you can contact the St Mary’s Centre (Sexual Assault Referral Centre – a specialist service for you) helpline 0161 276 6515, or access NHS services (this website describes the different services and also allows you to search for services near you). If you are not sure what help to access you can call the NHS non-emergency advice line 111.

For more information please consult this guide produced by the University.

Contact Counselling and Wellbeing on 0161 295 0023 (option 1 then 1) or email us at

To find out more about the events run at Salford and to book your place, simply visit the events page on Advantage.

There is a doctor here at the University of Salford. They are based on the third floor of the Maxwell building. You can contact them on 0161 295 4209/4287 or for more information visit this link.

There are a number of local dentists offering regular appointments and urgent care. You can find a dentist on the NHS Choices website by entering your postcode under ‘Find local services’ and clicking ‘Dentists’. If you need it, the University postcode is M5 4WT.

In an emergency always call 999 for immediate help.
If you have a health concern (non emergency) you can always phone NHS 111.

In the first instance if you have concerns we would advise that you speak to your GP or practice nurse or you may benefit from speaking to one of our wellbeing advisors who may be able to signpost you to a local support service. Alternatively you may wish to self refer to one of the following services:

- Salford Drug and Alcohol Team (DAAT) - 0161-745-7227
- SMART team (under 22's) - 0161-743-0167
- Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) - 0845 769 7555

For more services and general information, visit our addiction page.

Visit healthy-eating where you can find out about how to eat healthily, seasonally and find out about any fun events which are going on.  You can also visit our page on food and mood for lots more information.

You should contact your GP or doctor to discuss this in more detail. If you wish, you can also contact the service on 0161 295 0023 for an informal chat and to arrange a time to meet with an advisor. Alternatively you can email or visit the askUS advice desk in University House. Further information can also be found on our webpage.

In the first instance if you have concerns we would advise that you speak to your GP or practice nurse. Further information can also be found on our webpage.