Skip to main content


Abuse is defined as being “a violation of an individual’s human and civil rights by another person or persons”. It may also be an act of neglect or an omission to act in order to prevent another person coming to harm. In terms of what actually constitutes abuse, it is easy to focus  on the more common or known about types of abuse and forget to think about what else might add up to abuse.

Here is a non-exhaustive list of types of abuse:

Physical – Being hurt, injured and/or treated roughly.

Sexual – Non-consensual intimate touching, sexual comments and/or suggestions.

Psychological – Being bullied into doing something that you do not wish to.

Cyber abuse – Being harmed in a deliberate, repeated and hostile manner through the use of internet and related technologies (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, email, mobile phone).

Financial – Having personal finances taken by another or persuaded to hand them over against your wishes.

Neglect – Not having your specific care needs met by another (in particular someone who is responsible for your care).

Discriminatory – Treating you in a negative and different way based on your ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability etc.

Mediators Network is an independent mediation service run at the University for both students and staff to access.  It is an effective tool for all to help resolve an issue at the earliest opportunity before it potentially gets worse or deepens.

Bullying and Harassment advisors at the University offer a service to both staff and students that aims to tackle bullying and harassment. Excellent advice is provided on the webpages as well as contact links for the service.

Self Help Guides produced by Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust offer a wide range of information for adults who experienced abuse as children as well as information for those suffering from domestic abuse.

NAPAC is a national charity that exists to support survivors of child abuse when they want to talk and receive support. Counselling, advice and links to support in your area is available. Freephone 0800 085 330 from landlines, 3, Orange and Virgin networks. Freephone 0808 801 0331 from 02, T-Mobile and Vodafone networks.

Crisispoint is a registered charity and company offering psychotherapy, counselling and support to victims and survivors of sexual crime. This service is also available to the families or supporters of these people. Visit the website for more information.

National Domestic Violence Freephone Helpline run in partnership between Women's Aid and Refuge, is a national service for women experiencing domestic violence, their family, friends, colleagues and others calling on their behalf. The Helpline can give support, help and information over the telephone, wherever the caller might be in the country. The Helpline is staffed 24 hours a day by fully trained female helpline support workers and volunteers. All calls are completely confidential. Translation facilities for callers whose first language is not English and a service for callers who are deaf or hard of hearing are available. Call on 0808 2000 247.

Men's Advice Line is a confidential helpline for men experiencing domestic violence from a partner or ex-partner (or from other family members). They help by giving the caller the time to tell their story; offering emotional support; providing practical advice and signposting to other services for specialist help. Call Monday - Friday 9am-5pm on freephone 0808 801 0327 (free from landlines and from mobiles using the O2, Orange, T Mobile, Three (3), Virgin, and Vodafone networks). Alternatively you can email them.

NSPCC Helpline can be contacted if you are concerned about the safety or welfare of a child. Their helpline is available 24/7 on 0808 800 5000 or alternatively you can email them.

Cybersmile is a cyberbullying charity committed to tackling all forms of online bullying and hate campaigns.  They deliver professional advice, education and support to those affected as well as their families and friends.  Their website contains a plethora of useful information and they also have a confidential helpline.  To contact them, call 0845 688 7277.

Salford Citizens Advice Bureau can provide free impartial and confidential advice and information on many issues including homelessness and legal problems. Give them a call or visit your local bureau. The nearest one to the University is based at Salford Precinct.

Salford Women’s Centre is a Women only community centre (exempt under Section 7 (2) (e) of the Sex Discrimination Act) offering a safe, friendly, relaxing, supportive environment and advice to women for their personal development. Services include counselling, creative writing and post natal support depression support groups amongst others which are free. Visit the website for more information or call 0161 736 3844.

Victim Support offer support across the North-West with offices open Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm. If you've been a victim of any crime or affected by a crime committed against someone you know, they can help you find the strength to deal with what you've been through. Their services are free and available to everyone, whether or not the crime has been reported and regardless of when it happened. They are not part of the police, the courts or any other criminal justice agency.

St Mary’s Centre provides a comprehensive and co-ordinated forensic, counselling and aftercare service to men, women and children living in the Greater Manchester and Cheshire area who have experienced rape or sexual assault, whether this has happened recently or in the past. The centre comprises a team of experts with a wealth of knowledge and experience in advising, supporting and treating anyone who has been raped or sexually assaulted. If you want to make a referral just follow the step-by-step guide in the ‘our services’ section on the website or call 0161 276 6515.

Women's Domestic Abuse Helpline has a lot of excellent information available on their website surrounding domestic abuse issues. They are able to assist women in domestic abuse situations, friends or family who would like to support someone or agencies who may wish to gain accurate advice to give to women and their dependents regarding domestic abuse. They can be contacted on 0161 636 7525 Monday to Friday 10am to 4pm with an extended opening time on Tuesday to 7pm.

Forced Marriage Unit offer support if you’re trying to stop a forced marriage or if you need help leaving a marriage you've been forced into. Trained professionals are available to give free and confidential advice on what to do next. Visit the website for more information or call 02070080151 Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.

Karma Nirvana support victims of honour based abuse and forced marriage whether they be male or female. Their helpline can be contacted on 0800 5999 247.

End the Fear are a Manchester based service offering advice to those who wish to escape domestic abuse as well as to those who know of someone who is being abused.

Trafford Domestic Abuse Service is a registered charity offering support to individuals and families who are affected by domestic abuse. They support both female and male victims of domestic abuse who live or work in the Trafford area. TDAS staff are available Monday to Friday 10am-4pm on 0845 241 1117.

Salford Women’s Aid is the key national charity working to end domestic violence against women and children. The Salford branch has an in-house solicitor and can offer help with housing, benefits, social services, child protection and signposting. They can be contacted on 0161 793 3232 Monday to Friday 10am-4pm.

Respect offer information and advice to help domestic violence perpetrators stop their violence and change their abusive behaviours. The main focus of the Respect Phoneline is to increase the safety of those experiencing domestic violence by engaging with the abusers to reduce the risk. The Respect Phoneline is available on freephone 0808 802 4040 (free from landlines and from 02, Orange, T-Mobile, 3, Virgin and Vodafone networks) Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. Alternatively you can email them.

Family Planning Association explains where you can go for help if you have been sexually assaulted as well as information, advice and support on sexual health, sex and relationships.

Broken Rainbow offers a confidential helpline service run by trained LGBT people who have an understanding of sexual identity issues along with the impact domestic violence can have on lives. Their helpline is available Monday and Thursday 10am-8pm, Tuesday and Wednesday 10am-5pm on 0300 999 5428 or alternatively you can email them.

Rights of Women offer free confidential legal advice to women on their advice line. They offer specialist advice in family law, divorce and relationship breakdown, children and contact issues, domestic violence, sexual violence, discrimination and lesbian parenting.

Relate offers advice, relationship counselling, sex therapy, workshops, mediation, consultations and support face-to-face, by phone and through their website. They can be contacted on 0300 100 1234.

Shelter provides a free, national telephone advice line staffed by trained housing advisers. They have helped thousands of people, from finding them an urgent place to sleep to suggesting how to handle mortgage arrears.

It is always better to try and resolve any issues of bullying and harassment informally if possible (there may be some incidents which are so serious that it would not be appropriate to resolve things informally).

Go and talk to the person who has been bullying you. The sooner you are able to do this the better as very often small incidents escalate into something much more serious over time. Some people genuinely do not realise their behaviour has a negative impact and will be happy to modify their behaviour once informed.If it is not possible for you to approach the person who has been bullying you, you can take someone along to support you.

It is important that if you are the recipient of bullying and harassment and you require outside assistance you approach someone you feel comfortable talking to about details of the incidents affecting you. There is no obligation to go to any specific person if you want help with bullying and harassment, the examples below are suggestions.

  • Line manager
  • Tutor
  • Union or Students' Union Rep
  • Bullying & Harassment Advisor
  • Bullying & Harassment Coordinator
  • Make a note of what has been happening so you can give examples of what exactly you mean.
  • Talk to one of our Bullying and Harassment Advisors. They can advise and support you and will treat what you tell them in confidence.
  • Having gone through the informal procedures with no satisfactory outcome (or if the situation is simply too serious) you should put in a written complaint which should include details of what has happened.
  • Full details about this process are available within the Dignity at Work and Study Policy
  • If you feel you would like to see a Bullying & Harassment Advisor then you can contact us at: T: 0161 295 2261 (office hours) -

You do not need to supply us with your full name or any other details initially if you do not feel able to.