Skip to main content

Students loans and grants

While you are studying either an undergraduate or postgraduate course at university you'll normally have to pay for your tuition fees as well as your living costs for the duration of your degree. You can apply to Student Finance England (SFE) for loans and grants to help with some these costs.

If you are a UK undergraduate ordinarily resident in Wales, Nothern Ireland or Scotland then you can apply for finance though the following agencies:

If you are an undergraduate student and your course started after 1st August 2016 then you can apply for a Maintenance Loan to help with day-to-day costs, such as rent or food, while you are studying.

Everyone who is eligible for help with their living costs can get at least some Maintenance Loan however how much you can get depends on where you live while studying. You can also apply for more if you provide your household income information.

Maintenance Loans are paid directly to you three times a year, normally around the start of each term. You must have a UK bank or building society account in your own name and you will need to have registered at university before you can receive your first payment.

The following table shows the maximum Maintenance Loan amounts for courses starting from 1 August 2016 for students ordinarily resident in England and studying outside of London.

Figures table

If you have a one or more children who are financially dependant on you or an adult who is financially dependant on you then you can also apply for the following grants:

If you have a specific disability or learning support needs then you may be eligible for some help through Disabled Students Allowance.

EU students

If you’re an EU student from outside the UK studying in England, you can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan if you meet certain conditions but not loans or grants for living costs unless you have been resident in the UK for 5 years prior to the start of your course.

If you have been working in the UK for a while and intend to continue doing so whilst studying, you may be assessed for further financial support as a Migrant Worker but this is not always guaranteed.

If your course started before 1st August 2016 then please refer to the Undergraduate Courses starting before August 2016 page for information on your funding options.

Part-time students are able to apply for a tuition fee loan from Student Finance England to help pay for fees providing the intensity of the course is a minimum of 25% of a full-time course equivalent.

New students from August 2018

If you are a new part-time student starting your course after 1st August 2018 then you can now also apply for a maintenance loan to help support you with your living costs while you study.

The amount you can borrow will depend on a few different factors, your household income, where you live during your study and the intensity of your course.

The below table is based on students living away from home and studying outside of London

PT figures

If you’re a part-time student you’ll be due to start repaying your loan in the April after you leave your course or the April four years after the first day of your course (even if you’re still studying), whichever comes first providing you are earning over the £25,000 threshold.

If you are studying on a Nursing, Midwifery or Allied Health Professional course that started after 1st August 2017 then the bulk of your funding will now come from Student Finance England, however you may still be entitled to some extra support through NHS Bursaries from the Learning Support Fund if you:

  • Have at least one dependent child (Child Dependants Allowance)
  • Have Travel and Dual Accommodation Expenses for a placement
  • Are experiencing extreme financial hardship (Exceptional Support Fund)

If your course began before 1st August 2017 then please see our  Nursing, Midwifery or Allied Health Professional courses which began before August 2017 page

For Masters courses beginning from August 2017, English and Welsh domiciled students who are not on a course that receives a bursary from the NHS or Department of Health will be able to borrow a loan of up to £10,000. This is designed as a contribution towards course costs and is paid directly to the student. Loans are available for courses in all subject areas as long as the course is a full Masters qualification.

Students who are residents of Northern Ireland may apply for a postgraduate tuition fee loan of up to £5,500 from Student Finance Northern Ireland

The key points of the English and Welsh postgraduate loans are summarised below:

  • Postgraduate Loans will be available up to a maximum value of £10,280.
  • The loans are available for both taught and research Masters courses.
  • Postgraduate loans will be available for all full-time, part-time and distance learning Masters courses.
  • Repayments will be income-contingent and made concurrently with undergraduate loans.
  • Rates will be set at 6% (England) or 9% (Wales) of annual income over 21,000.
  • The current interest rate is the annual RPI+3%. More details can be found at

Eligibility and applying

Details are available from the website. Potential applicants are requested to read the eligibility criteria thoroughly. If you have any questions that the student finance bodies cannot answer to your satisfaction, you can email Moneymatters on

If you have secured a place through Clearing, you will need to look at applying for your funding. You can do so here.

Student Finance England has produced a video for students going through the clearing process and needing to apply for finance which can watched here.

Videos with BSL interpretations

Extra support available:

If you have any questions or are concerned about your student funding assessment then please contact one of our finance advisors at for help.