Skip to main content

Young students

Starting University Under Eighteen Years Old

Before your classes begin, there will be a series of sessions and events to register you as a student, and to introduce you to the University, to your course tutors and to the resources you will use while you are a student here. This introductory period is known as Induction and welcome. Most of your Induction events will take place in the week before classes begin, but depending on your course and your level of study, some of these events may take place earlier, and some may take place after your classes have begun. You should hear from the university by the first week in September at the latest, telling you when and where you should report for your first Induction event. If you are under 18, your parents or carers should also have completed a parental and UK guardian consent form, to support your application. Please be aware that we need this form signed before you start university.

The University provides a wide range of support services for all students, and you are welcome to make use of most of these services (you cannot buy alcohol or have it bought for you or any tobacco products). The university provides mandatory pastoral support for all students under the age of 17 at  the time of starting university. If you are 17 or under we will contact you to arrange monthly one to one meetings to check everything is ok., If you are 17 when you start at Salford you do not have to meet with us but you are welcome to make an appointment with the Under 18 team any time you want .

You can contact the Young Students support team here:

The Education and Skills Act (2008) requires full-time education for children up to the age of 18. University students who are under this age are required to maintain high levels of attendance and participation in their course, and will be required to return to state education if this is not done. The Programme Leader for the student's course will ensure that attendance and participation is monitored and will manage any concerns. For further information about your time at University, please go to our FAQ section.

If you are a UK student under the age of 18, you are still able to take out a Student Loan. You should apply as normal via leaving plenty of time as sometimes it can take a bit longer. The only condition is that your parents/carers must sign your form to enable you to receive loans before your 18th birthday. Once you reach the age of 18, the responsibility of the loan becomes your own. Should you have money worries during your course, seek guidance from a askUS finance adviser: There may be additional support available to you to top up existing loans and grants you receive. Should you experience delays in receiving your Student Loan, you should speak to askUS as soon as possible so that we can help you with a "bridging loan". Contact us on 0161 295 0023, if you have any questions around your student loan.

If you are planning to study in the UK, it is important to note that if your parents or carers are unable to travel with you, you must have an official guardian by law who is responsible for your welfare, whilst you remain in the UK. For some people, this may be a family member or friend, although for students who don't have that support in the UK, there are other options available. You can search and apply for UK guardianship through AEGIS (Association for Education and Guardianship of International Students). The university is unable to process applications, without a UK guardianship form signed.

Contact for support

t: 0161 295 0023

Click here if you would like to book a 1-1 appointment.