Skip to main content

Sanctuary Seekers FAQ

Article 26

Article 26 refers to the segment of the same name, contained within the Universal Declaration of Human Rights that states that everyone has the right to education and specifies that higher education should be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit. The Article 26 scholarship was created to make this right a reality for people who have sought asylum in the UK. The University of Salford refers to those who have sought asylum in this country as sanctuary seekers, as part of a wider campaign to lessen the negative associations of being an asylum seeker. Though the Article 26 guide (available here) and subsequent answers based on this information, may contain these terms, as a means to be as clear about the legislation and regulatory requirements that are in place for applicants to apply to this service via the University of Salford’s askUS service, which adheres to the terminology that is used by the Home Office. The University of Salford is one of several universities working in partnership with the Article 26 project, to enable students from an asylum-seeking background, who do not have access to student finance (tuition fee or maintenance loans) to undertake an undergraduate degree programme. The Article 26 project delivers a package of support that includes a full tuition fee bursary, as well as practical and financial support, whilst the university complements this through student support services. The Article 26 project is run in conjunction and is validated through the Helena Kennedy Foundation. You can find out more about the foundation, the project and past recipients from their website.

The University recognises that placement years and placements of all kinds are an invaluable learning experience and puts you in better stead for fining that perfect graduate job and we will support ALL students in finding a placement. As an Article 26 student the university has invested a lot in you and this includes your future careers so yes we will support you in your placement search. However this will depend on your ability to work in the UK. If you have not got the right to work in the UK there may be a possibility of an unpaid placement. You will need to discuss your placement plans with Arron at your one to ones in your second year of study and we will work with you to put these plans in place.

The Article 26 Award has been developed to enhance the educational opportunities of students who are classified as:

  • Asylum-seekers or the partner/dependant of an asylum-seeker.
  • An asylum-seeker/partner/dependant who has been granted limited leave to remain or some other form of temporary status.

The University of Salford fully supports the objectives of the Article 26 Project and offer three scholorships for students who are seeking sanctuary in the UK and want to study at University. Those who are successful with their application for the Article 26 scholarship will receive a tuition fee waiver to cover the cost of the course, whilst also receiving a bursary of £1,000 per year (for three years) to help support your studies throughout the academic year, which is split between two £500 instalments in November and February. There are three Article 26 awards available to applicants, every year, for courses starting in September only. Before applying please read the guidance notes here, You can apply for the Article 26 award by clicking here.The application for the scholarship will be open at the end of December each year and closes mid May. 

Please note the term “limited leave to remain,” has previously been referred to as ‘DLR’ (discretionary leave to remain) in Article 26 documents, however due to recent changes in legislative terminology, the immigration status of an applicant will be referred to as such. None of the students supported by the project qualify as home students for the purpose of tuition fees, nor are they entitled to student finance in the form of maintenance grants or loans, whereas most asylum seekers do not have permission to work.

Students who attend the University of Salford are from a variety of backgrounds, so not all students will have access to the same financial support as others, but for those, who are from disadvantaged backgrounds or experiencing hardship the thought of attending university can be daunting. It is important not to worry about this, as the University of Salford can provide you with practical financial advice and support. Although this list is not exhaustive and cannot provide details of your individual circumstances, some of the costs you are likely to face as a student consist of:

  • Accommodation: Depending upon where it is that you decide to stay during your studies, accommodation will take up a significant part of your weekly budget. University accommodation starts (at the time of writing) at £83.50 p/w, via sites at John Lester, Eddie Coleman and Bramall Court. Whereas accommodation on campus begins at: £117 p/w. Private accommodation in Salford, is estimated at £80 p/w, though you would have to pay your utility bills separately.
  • Bills: If you are staying in private accommodation you may also have to pay utility bills. These equate to £15 on average, per week.
  • Books and Equipment: For your course you may be asked to purchase books, equipment or stationary that is relevant to your studies. The costs for this may vary though it is likely that you will spend a significant amount of your budget nearer the beginning of term.
  • Transport: The University of Salford operates an intercampus bus service through our partnership with Stagecoach Manchester. This intercampus service can be used at any time between Adelphi and MediaCity campuses, which also includes Salford Shopping Centre. This may cut down on some of the costs of transport - however if you live further afield, you may have to pay bus or train fares. Whilst if you drive this will cost significantly more.
  • Food: This approximately the second largest expense you are likely to deal with. Food can be expensive from outlets and local supermarkets, though there are cheaper alternatives available. The university offers cookery courses that could be beneficial to you, for learning how to eat healthy and budget your food expenses.
  • Entertainment and Socialising: It is likely that during your studies that you will wish to spend time with your friends/family. Depending upon what it is you like to do, whether you’re a part of a local society or activity group, like going to the cinema or experiencing the local music scene, this is likely to have an effect on your weekly budget.

We understand that the Asylum Seeking process can affect you mentally and emotionally and that sometimes you may need some extra support, to help you in your studies. If you feel that you need to talk to someone in confidence, you can speak to a member of the university’s counselling or welfare team. For more information, please visit our Wellbeing and Counselling page Or you can fill in an online referral form by clicking here.

The Asylum Process

An asylum seeker is the legislative term used to describe someone who is in the process of applying to the government to be recognised as a refugee by the UK.

Once successful, the applicant is deemed a ‘refugee’, which is the term used to refer to someone who has been given permission to remain in the UK, owing to the well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, member of a particular social group or political opinion and is unable or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to avail themselves to the protection of that country.

Persecution covered under the legislation includes torture, physical and mental violence, rape, imprisonment, discrimination, deprivation of rights and forced labour.

People sometimes refer to asylum seekers as refugees, because they have fled their countries’ due to persecution to seek sanctuary in the UK. However in terms of the UK’s legal process and the terminology relating to the legal status a person has in the UK, applicants are only legally classified as refugees once granted this status by the home office.

An unaccompanied asylum-seeking child, is the definition for a person under 18 years of age or who in the absence of documentary evidence establishing age, appears to be under that age, who is applying for asylum in their own right; and is separated from both parents and not being cared for by an adult who by law or custom has responsibility to do so. Children in this situation are also known as separated children or unaccompanied minors.

There are several stages involved within the process of seeking asylum with in the UK and gaining refugee status from the home office. Though each individual case may differ through personal circumstances, the process of applying, gaining and maintaining status as an asylum-seeker within the UK often follows a process that includes:

Arriving in the Country

When an individual arrives in the country they can start the process of claiming asylum immediately, for example at the airport or port. However, they can also claim asylum when they have been living in the country for some time, for example if the situation changes for the worse in their home country or if activities they have taken part in the UK would put them at risk on return. Sometimes people are brought into the UK by lorry and left in the middle of an unknown city. They may first seek help a local community member, a support organisation, a church or a mosque. They will probably require help understanding how to lodge a claim for asylum.

Claiming Asylum

Children and adults may apply for asylum at ports of entry, such as airports or after entry, usually at the asylum-screening unit, which at the time of writing, is located in Croydon, south London. As unaccompanied children are deemed to be vulnerable, they can also apply at a local immigration service enforcement office.

The first stage of an asylum claim is the screening interview, generally carried out at the asylum-screening unit in Croydon. If an individual claims asylum at the port of entry, they will go through a screening process at the port. The screening process involves a brief interview and the taking of fingerprints and any other identification information the home office thinks is required. During the screening process, the applicant should be given an Application Registration Card (commonly referred to as an “ARC” Card), which confirms that they have applied for asylum.

Applicants should be given an interpreter if requested or deemed necessary.

If unaccompanied minors have been referred to children’s services prior to claiming asylum they will attend the screening interview with their assigned social worker. Alternatively they will attend with another “responsible adult” or their legal representative.

The screening interview is followed by a longer, more detailed interview, referred to as the substantive interview or the full asylum interview. During this interview the asylum claim is explored in more depth. There will be a written record of both interviews.

It is essential that every person claiming asylum has independent legal representation throughout the asylum process and if challenging a decision or procedure that impacted on their claim. Asylum and immigration is a highly regulated area of law and only those authorised to do so, such as registered advisers and solicitors can legally provide immigration advice. Legal aid is available for people claiming asylum, subject to a financial means test and the case having sufficient merit.

Asylum-seekers may not need accommodation, for example if they can stay with family or friends. However many asylum seekers arrive alone and with little or no money. Therefore they need assistance with accommodation. The first step is emergency accommodation, which houses people immediately. This can be in a flat, a bed-sit, hotel or B&B. Sometimes people live in emergency accommodation for many months before being moved, and for others it is a short wait.

After emergency accommodation people are generally “dispersed” to more permanent accommodation that they will stay in until they receive a decision on their claim, usually outside London and the South East. Asylum-seekers have no say in where they are dispersed to and it can mean making a move for example from London to Glasgow.

Support and accommodation for children seeking asylum

Children, who arrive in the UK alone, should be looked after by the local authority in which they are physically present. This is in accordance with the Children Act 1989. They should also receive accommodation and financial support from children’s services, rather than the Home Office.


The Home Office may require an asylum-seeker to report on a regular basis to an immigration-reporting centre, for example every fortnight or every month, while their claim is being processed.


The home office has the power to detain asylum-seekers in a detention centre (referred to as an immigration removal centre) while their asylum claim is being processed. The Home Office operates a system called the detained fast track, which is an accelerated system for processing asylum claims, during which the person applying for asylum is detained.

For detention to be lawful it must be proportionate and alternatives to detention must be properly considered. The decision to detain is not subject to any automatic independent review but immigration detainees have the right to apply to the court for bail if they have been in the UK for more than seven days.

It is Home Office policy never to detain unaccompanied children other than in the most exceptional circumstances and then only for a very short period.

However, a child could end up in detention if the Home Office do not believe they are a child and treat them as an adult.

Asylum-seeking families with children should not be detained for the processing of their asylum claim. Families with children will only be detained in "pre-departure accommodation" at the end of the process if their claim is unsuccessful, as part of the family returns process.

If the asylum application is initially refused by the Home Office, the applicant usually has the right to appeal to the First Tier Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum Chamber). If their appeal is dismissed they may be able to seek permission to appeal to the Upper Tribunal and beyond that to the higher courts. Appeal time limits are very tight and an asylum-seeker must act very quickly in this situation and get legal advice to ensure that an appeal is lodged in time. Lodging an appeal in time will mean that their claim for asylum is on going and will also entitle them to continued financial support for living costs and to stay in their accommodation.

This is when an asylum applicant has been through the asylum process and the Home Office has refused to grant them any form of leave to remain in the UK and they do not have any outstanding right to appeal against this decision. Asylum seekers who are subject to ARE are sometimes referred to as a “refused asylum-seeker,” else “undocumented” or “irregular”.

The financial support and accommodation they have been receiving from the Home Office will cease.

Once they have exhausted their appeal rights they will be expected to leave the UK voluntarily or face being forcibly removed. They may be detained.

The Home Office can provide reduced financial support and accommodation to an appeal rights exhausted asylum seeker facing destitution in limited circumstances, for example if they have lodged a further legal challenge or they are preparing to leave voluntarily.

Once someone is classified as appeal rights exhausted, there are limited possibilities for challenging the refusal. At this stage they may be able to make a fresh asylum or human rights claim, for example if there is new evidence, a change of circumstance, or new case law.

Refugee Status is granted when the applicant has been recognised as a refugee under the 1951 Refugee Convention. They will be granted leave to remain for five years (with access to social security and the right to work), prior to the end of which they must apply for permanent stay known as indefinite leave to remain (ILR), at which point their case will be reviewed.

Humanitarian Protection is granted to people when the Home Office has decided that they do not fit the criteria for being recognised as a refugee, as laid out in the 1951 Refugee Convention, but it is considered that they face a risk of suffering serious harm on return, such as torture or unlawful killing. Humanitarian Protection is usually granted for a period of five years (with access to social security and the right to work). An application for indefinite leave to remain must be lodged before the period of leave expires.

Limited Leave to Remain (previously known as “Discretionary Leave to Remain”) is granted to the majority of unaccompanied children seeking asylum. Limited leave to remain is granted to an unaccompanied child when the Home Office does not accept that they should be granted refugee status or humanitarian protection but there are no adequate reception arrangements for them to be returned to their country of origin. Before July 2012, limited leave to remain was granted to unaccompanied children for three years or until they reached 17½ years, whichever was shorter. Now they will be granted limited leave to remain for 30 months or until they reach 17½, whichever is shorter. Applicants need to apply for an extension of this leave extended by the Home Office, and it is now much harder for them to obtain free, quality legal representation when making an application to extend their leave to remain.

Limited leave to remain is also given if the Home Office does not recognise an asylum seeker as a refugee or a person who qualifies for humanitarian protection but they are granted on the basis of their right to respect for private and family life (Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights). It is another type of temporary permanent residence until they have lived in the UK for at least 10 years and leave is granted with the right to work but often with no access to social security. In older cases, leave was granted for 3 years, with an application for permanent residence after 6 years.

A diagram documenting this process can be found on page 31, Education for All: Access to higher education for people who have sought asylum: a guide for universities.

There are several aspects of support that is available to asylum seekers, though the main aspects of this support relate to finance and accommodation. The support that you can receive includes:

A weekly support payment of varying rates for single adults, couples (married/civil partnership), Lone Parents, unaccompanied children, whereas pregnant women and those with a disability may receive further support.

Accommodation is provided by the Home Office - Entitlement to accommodation is awarded by the Home Office, who then sub-contracts to companies who provide housing for asylum seekers.

Some contractors rely entirely on private landlords. If a landlord chooses to withdraw a property from the market, there is no option but to move the asylum seekers residing there.

* Housing is provided in a number of UK cities and accommodation is provided on a ‘no choice basis’. Relocation is almost impossible and although there is a process to apply for alternative accommodation, it rarely results in a positive change. Article 26 has experienced some success in approaching the Housing Officer responsible for an individual’s accommodation and persuading them on a case-by-case basis. Housing Officers cover a wide geographical area and can exercise considerable discretion as to where people are accommodated.

Additional support may be given in accordance to Section 4 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999. This support can only be provided under certain circumstances to prevent destitution and encourage people to return to their country of origin. Refused asylum seekers must be destitute and meet at least one of the following criteria:

Section 4 support is different to support provided by the Home Office under section 95. Accommodation is offered on the same ‘No Choice’ basis; however no cash payments are made to recipients to fund the cost of living. £35.39 per person is paid onto an Azure card on a weekly basis. This Azure card can be used at a specified list of supermarkets to buy food and other essential goods. There are certain items cardholders are prohibited from purchasing e.g. cigarettes, alcohol, petrol and diesel. No cash payments makes living on section 4 incredibly challenging, as travel costs cannot be met and people are denied access to a huge range of cheaper purchasing options for e.g. markets and charity shops.

You can find out more about the financial support available from the Home Office website:

  • Financial Support:

  • Accommodation Support

  • Section 4 Support:
    • They are taking all reasonable steps to leave the UK or they are placing themselves in a position where they can do so; OR
    • They cannot leave the UK because of a physical impediment to travel or for some other medical reason e.g. being in the last stages of pregnancy; OR
    • They cannot leave the UK because in the Secretary of State’s opinion no viable route of return is currently available; OR
    • They have applied for a judicial review of their asylum application and have been given permission to proceed with it; OR
    • Accommodation is necessary to prevent a breach of their rights within the meaning of the Human Rights Act 1998.

Special facilities or services can be paid for under section 4 support, e.g. the costs associated with pregnancy, buying children’s clothes and travel to medical appointments. However in reality the time taken to complete the application form for the decision to be processed n for payment to be received can mean that the appointment or activity for which funding was required has passed. Section 4 support is often bolstered by additional help from the charity sector. In spite of the practical challenges and significant difficulties associated with living on section 4 support, several Article 26 students are in receipt of it.

Childcare Support for Asylum Seekers

Students seeking asylum who also have children are not entitled to the same help with childcare costs as mainstream students i.e. the childcare element of student finance. This situation can pose a significant barrier to asylum seeking students because they are often less likely to have extensive friendship and family networks to help with childcare. In addition it is important to note that this issue disproportionately affects women, who are predominantly viewed as the primary caregivers. This section outlines the childcare entitlements of asylum-seeking students with children and offers ideas and suggestions about where to get practical support as well as funding to help with childcare costs.

Students seeking asylum are NOT entitled to childcare grants for full-time higher education students. However their children ARE entitled to:

  • Free early years education for children aged 3-5. The scheme offers 15 hours per week of free childcare for 38 weeks during the course of a year.
  • Attend school for compulsory education from the age of 5.
  • From September 2013 there are also free early education places for some two-year-olds. Students on certain benefits, including Home Office support, are eligible to apply.

Disability Support

The Home Office does not make special provision for asylum-seekers who have a disability. They advise people to contact social services in the area where they live. The local authority social services department assesses individual needs and may decide to offer different housing and additional support, known as community care.

Community Care includes:

  • Practical care in the home or elsewhere
  • Personal care
  • Advice and support
  • Cooked meals delivered at home
  • Ongoing monitoring of the disability and its practical impact

In practice, support from social services is usually only provided as a last resort where the only alternative is destitution. This should not deter making a referral to the local authority for additional support, which is the route recommended by the Home Office but securing this additional support is not guaranteed.

Students seeking asylum are excluded from the extra financial help available to disabled students. They cannot claim Disabled Students Allowance to help with extra study costs arising from their disability because they are not eligible for student finance. They are also excluded from benefits and cannot claim Personal Independence Payment to contribute towards the costs of help with daily living or getting about.

Disability and Travel

The disabled person’s bus pass gives free, off-peak bus travel across England. Although eligibility for the pass is assessed locally, the rules are laid down nationally. Foreign nationals who apply need to show that they live here and are not just visiting. This means that students seeking asylum can apply. They will need to be assessed to see if they are in one of the seven categories of disabled people eligible for the pass.

An eligible disabled person is someone who:

  1. Is blind or partially sighted.
  2. Is profoundly or severely deaf.
  3. Is without Speech.
  4. Has a disability or has suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on his or her ability to walk.
  5. Does not have arms or has long-term loss of the use of both arms.
  6. Has a learning disability, that is, a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning.
  7. Would be refused a driving licence for medical reasons.

You should contact your local authority to find out more about the application process.

If you are a student, who is not in receipt of a qualifying benefit nor has the ID listed, a letter from a GP confirming their condition should suffice. Student life can assist with this process, by making an appointment here.

Disability and Equality

The University of Salford has made a considerable commitment to support an Article 26 student who has mobility problems to travel to and from University our approach has been noted as one of the examples of best practice, according to the Article 26 team.

Most full-time students, regardless of immigration status, are excluded from claiming JSAIB, IRESA, IS and housing benefit. However, some students can claim these benefits. Non-student partners may be able to claim these benefits for the couple. Carers allowance cannot be claimed by full-time students but can be claimed by non-student partners.

Universal Credit is due to replace JSAIB, IRESA, IS, Housing Benefit, Child Tax Credits and Working Tax Credit. The rules for full-time students are mainly the same but there are some differences. Universal Credit has been introduced gradually from 28th October 2013, in selected local areas across the country. But the timetable for change has not been finalised. The Salford Citizens Advice Bureau can provide you with further details and support of what benefits are available and the eligibility criteria necessary to apply.

Some full-time students may be able to access benefits to help with living costs and housing costs. These are:

  • Lone Parents
  • Students living as part of a couple
  • Disabled Students

A complete overview of the support that is available can be found on page 50, of the Article 26, Education for All guide.

Once a positive decision about an asylum claim has been reached, the asylum-seeker will be classed legally as a refugee, else classified under humanitarian protection policies. This can mean that the funding and support available to asylum seekers will be withdrawn. The transition to other sources of support and accommodation can often prove to be very stressful. A positive decision means negotiating a number of often unknown systems (depending on personal circumstances), such as student finance, public and private accommodation providers, welfare benefits and employment. This period can pose many practical problems and result in heightened emotional distress. If you would like to access support, you can make an appointment with our wellbeing team here.

A person granted refugee status or humanitarian is eligible to apply for student finance when student finance starts depends on when in the academic year their status is granted.

Students with refugee status or HP have the same entitlement to benefits as students with limited leave to remain and mainstream students.

It is important to take note of how student finance is likely to affect the benefits you may currently receive, or will be applying for in future, as some elements of your student finance may affect the level of support that you’re likely to receive:


  • Special Support Grant, Childcare Grant, Parents Learning Allowance, Disabled Students Allowance, Loan for Fees do not affect benefits.

Loan Parents

  • Income Support for a lone parent with a child under 5
  • When student maintenance loan payments commence, their income will be too high to qualify for income support for the majority of the year. They can claim Income Support just for July and August, as student finance is ignored as income during this period.


  • Maternity Allowance and Statutory maternity Pay are not affected by student finance.


  • When the student maintenance loan starts to be paid, a non student partner’s jobseeker’s allowance or income related employment support allowance will be reduced due to the student maintenance loan, maintenance grant and adult dependents grant for most of the year, but not July and August.
  • Working Tax Credit will not be affected by student finance

Disabled Students

  • When the student maintenance loan starts to be paid, Income Related Employment Support Allowance will be reduced, as the student maintenance loan is classed as income. The adult dependant grant element of student finance is also classed as income. The adult dependant grant element of student finance is also classed as income when calculating benefit entitlement. Both the student maintenance loan and adult dependent grant are only classed as income for the majority of the year, but not for July and August.
  • Personal Independence Payment is not affected by student finance or any other income.


  • Child Tax Credit and Child Benefit will not be affected by student finance.

Accommodation Costs

The student maintenance loan and, for couples, also the maintenance grant and adult dependants grant will reduce housing benefit for most of the year but will not count as income for July and August so benefit should be higher for those months.

  • Housing benefit for rent
  • Council Tax Support for couples


  • People with refugee status or HP are allowed to work.
  • Full-time work to meet total cost of living and accommodation combined with full-time study is very challenging to sustain for the duration of an undergraduate degree programme.

An award of limited leave to remain after the refusal of a claim for asylum or as temporary leave to remain in the UK is often viewed as a positive decision. Whilst an award does in many cases afford individuals a greater security, limited leave to remain can cause significant challenges in terms of support. Once granted limited leave to remain, an asylum seeker is no longer entitled to support from the Home Office. Many students who are granted limited leave to remain whilst studying are excluded from welfare benefits and student finance. It is important to be aware that whilst a student is awaiting a decision on an application for an extension or renewal of an award of limited leave to remain, their rights and entitlements remain the same i.e. they are still treated as having limited leave to remain. Their status does not change whilst they are awaiting for a decision on an application for an extension.

The Refugee Council

Address: PO Box 68614, London, E15 9DQ
Phone: 020 7346 6700 Contact:

The Refugee Council is one of the leading charities in the UK working directly with refugees, and supporting them to rebuild their lives. We also speak up for refugees using our direct work as an evidence base, and ensure refugees have a stronger and more influential voice in decisions that will affect them. We work with a range of partners and in collaboration to ensure we can best support our clients.

The charity was founded in 1951 in response to the UN Convention for Refugees, which was created after World War II to ensure refugees were able to find safety in other countries. Since then, the Refugee Council has provided practical and emotional support to refugees from across the world to help them rebuild their lives and play a full part in society.

The Refugee Council receives funding from local, central and European Government to deliver some services, however it is reliant upon voluntary income – including grants from trusts and foundations, corporate support and donations from individuals – to deliver a range of specialist projects that support refugees. This includes: employment and move on advice; therapeutic support; destitution services; support for separated children whose special needs are not covered by mainstream services; and our work to achieve a fairer and more humane asylum system.

Salford Refugee Forum

Address: Salford Forum For Refugees and People Seeking Asylum, Spiritan Youth Centre, Northallerton Road, Lower Kersal, Salford, M7 3TP.

The seeds of Salford Forum for Refugees and People Seeking Asylum were planted in 2009 when Salford CVS came together with Community Pride Unit in order to explore the possibility of establishing a refugee and asylum seeker network in Salford.

During the autumn of 2009 Salford CVS delivered a series of workshops to all known refugee and asylum seeker groups in Salford. These workshops concentrated on identifying the ways in which these groups could be brought together so that they could support each other as a network.

The meetings organised by the group are listed below:

  • Happy Homes.
  • Salix/City West.
  • UPM.
  • Priority Properties.
  • Manchester Refugee Support Network.
  • Police and housing providers to talk about training.

Under the umbrella of the network, three subgroups were also set up to further develop the network and to promote it in a wider area in Salford. These subgroups are as follows.

  • Funding group.
  • Network meetings group.
  • Partnership working group.

Salford City Council Asylum Seeker Service

Address: Unity House, Salford Civic Centre, Chorley Road, Swinton, M27 5AW
Salford Home Search Telephone Number: 0161 909 6514

As part of the national dispersal programme for asylum seekers, Salford City Council entered into a contract with the National Asylum Support Service (known as NASS and is part of the Home Office). The city council's housing support service, is responsible for managing this contract which covers 30% of the asylum seekers in Salford with the remaining 70% being housed by private landlords.

British Red Cross

Address: British Red Cross, UK Office, 44 Moorfields London EC2Y 9AL
Phone: Tel: 0344 871 11 11 (+ 44 2071 3879 00 from abroad)

The Red Cross has a long tradition of providing practical and emotional support to vulnerable refugees and asylum seekers in the UK. We often need to respond quickly and effectively to crises such as supporting large-scale arrivals or giving emergency provisions to those facing severe hardship.

Asylum Aid

Address: Asylum Aid, Club Union House, 253-254 Upper Street, London, N1 1RY
Phone: (020) 7354 9264

Asylum Aid is an independent, national charity working to secure protection for people seeking refuge in the UK from persecution and human rights abuses abroad. We provide free legal advice and representation to the most vulnerable and excluded asylum seekers, and lobby and campaign for an asylum system based on inviolable human rights principles.

Refugee Action

For thirty years, we've been standing up for people who've fled persecution, violence and harassment. Find out more about who we are, how we support refugees and how you can help.


Address:Victoria Charity Centre, 11 Belgrave Road, LondonSW1V 1RB


Phone: 07810 637464