Trans Student Support
The University is committed to ensuring an equal and diverse environment for students from all backgrounds and identities. For some students who identify as transgender or non-binary, some consideration and support may be required from staff and students to create a safe and welcome environment that can help facilitate their studies that is inclusive of their gender identity and expression.
The University can support students in the process of gender reassignment by adapting student ID and records to that of your preferred name/gender, whilst offering personal and professional support for anyone considering or currently in the process of gender reassignment. For more information about gender identity and the support available, click here.
Not all students who identify as transgender will ask for the same level of support, however the University is able to offer services that are beneficial to anyone questioning their gender identity or in the process of gender reassignment. These services include:
- Wellbeing and Counselling Services
- Befriending/Mentoring Service
- Salford Support Fund - Hardship Fund (a broken link)
- LGBT Society
Support available if you live in Salford can be found at:
- Equality Challenge Unit - Information about transgender staff and students in higher education
- Equality Act 2010: Information about the Equality Act 2010, guidance for employers and supporting transgender people (please note: the equality act does not encompass non-binary identitities).
- Your Right to Change Your Name: Information for transgender people about changing your name, including at the Department of Work and Pensions, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency, and the Passport Agency.
- Gender Identity Research and Education Society (GIRES)- For research relevant to transgender people. Includes information for employers about Transition at work and provides advice and training to organisations.
- Government Equalities Office - For information about the UK Government’s action plan to advance transgender equality
- The Gender Trust - A charity that helps transgender people and all those affected by gender identity issues.
- Ministry of Justice - For information about the Gender Recognition Panel.
- Press for Change - A lobbying and legal support organisation for transgender people in the UK, it provides legal advice, training and research to transgender people, their representatives, and public and private bodies.
- TransWiki - A comprehensive directory of the groups campaigning for, supporting or assisting, transgender people and their families across the UK.