Skip to main content

Care Leavers Support FAQ

Yes you can. We have a dedicated care leaver team at askUS. Through our care leaver support service, we are able to assist with many of the challenges and pitfalls you might face in coming to university. It is recommended that you contact us at to discuss your application, even if you feel you don't require our service, as you may not be aware of the support that is available to you.

Yes. Our care leaver support service can provide you with assistance at all stages of the application process. From helping choose the course that's right for you, to guiding you through the hefty form filling and dreaded UCAS personal statement and beyond. We have a team of dedicated staff members who can help put your mind at ease, and make applying to university as stress free as possible.

We offer individual support to all students, who are seeking assistance in choosing the course they wish to study here at Salford. Through this process we can help identify the course you would like to apply for, what it is you can bring to the course and what strengths you can gain from your study, in line with any career goals. We will ensure that you can meet all of the entry requirements and offer guidance toward alternate entry routes if applicable.

Care leavers can gain regular support from our care leaver coordinator and student life services at the University of Salford. We can ensure that you have regular contact with our care leaver coordinator by setting meetings at times and between intervals that suit you. The university is committed to offering support for all students, no matter what challenges you may be facing, as we would like for you to gain the most from your studies, and time here.

The university has partnerships with student accommodation services in the local area and can facilitate any assistance you may require in making your application for accommodation. We can ensure that you find accommodation to suit your requirements, as well as offering 52-week contracts.

We recognise that it can often be difficult attending open days, interviews and other recruitment events held by the university, which is why we think it's important that you have the opportunity to look around before making your final decision. We can assist you with travel expenses, especially if the trip is likely to take you out of your way, but no matter where you live or travelling from, we can provide you with assistance in keeping the costs down.

With your consent, we would like to work with your local care organisation on your behalf, as this can ensure that we can offer the best and most appropriate support, for your needs. It is not university policy to disclose any information that you do not wish us to, though any information we do receive from you or your organisation, is protected under the Data Protection Act (1998).

Yes, we can. The university can offer you assistance, if required, in gaining effective and accessible childcare in the local area, so you're always nearby. We will also take any childcare arrangements into consideration, in defining what support we can offer you, to ensure that you and your family can be taken care of during your studies at Salford.

The university can keep you informed of the support that is available to you via email, phone, postal or through regular contact with your care leaver coordinator. This ensures that you are up to date with upcoming events and workshops that may be of interest to you, whilst giving you information on additional services and support.

Further Funding Available:

As well as some of the finance available to you within the University, and from Student Finance England, as a care leaver, you may be entitled to additional grants and funding from the various external organisations listed below.

Don't forget, that some of this funding requires you to apply before you have come to the University, so make sure that you look into these options early, and get a head start with applying.

The Prince's Trust    

The Princes Trust provide Development Loans of up to £500 to fund childcare costs to help you attend a college course, buy equipment, materials or tools , pay for travel costs to a work placement, training course or job. It will not fund university tuition fees.    

You must be 16-25 and not at university yet – so this is only for prospective students.    

For more information click HERE.

t: 01282 714 365    

OR Contact: The Princes Trust, North West Regional, Northbridge House, Elm Street Business Park, Burnley, Lancashire, BB10 1PD

Buttle UK Grant Scheme for Students    

“Our grant scheme for students and trainees helps young people facing severe financial and personal difficulties, often without family or parental support, acquire academic, trade or professional qualifications which gives them the opportunity to succeed in life.    

Last year we supported 180 students with grants totalling £281,108 for courses as diverse as bricklaying, the performing arts, business studies and medicine”    

More information, including criteria can be found HERE.            

t: 020 78287311    

OR Contact: Frank Buttle Trust, Audley House, 13 Palace Street, London, SW1E 5HX

Foyer University Bursary    

This is a non-competitive (i.e. if you are eligible you will receive the bursary) bursary administered by the Forum Federation. Forums are national ‘hostels’ for homeless young people. The nearest one is in Eccles. The criteria for a Forum Bursary are:    

  • You are a resident of a Foyer in England      
  • Or you are going to university and were a Foyer resident a year or less ago      
  • You are a Home student      

If a student fulfils this criteria they can apply online from April HERE.

Please note you do not have to be a care leaver to be a Foyer resident.        

t: 020 7430 2212    

OR Contact: Foyer Federation, 3rd Floor, 5 - 9 Hatton Wall, London, EC1N 8HX

The Care Leavers' Foundation Trust Fund        

A small grants scheme for care leavers aged up to 29.        

Grant applications are welcomed from all care leavers up to the age of 26 to help with personal development needs, crisis payments, education, training or employment needs.        

Applications connected with training and enterprise are open to care leavers up to the age of 29. You can download the application HERE.        

t: 01952 504 715        

OR Contact: Care Leaver Foundation, P.O Box 202, Bala, Wales, LL23 7ZB