Skip to main content

Funding for support

Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) is a non-means tested and non-repayable source of funding to help meet the extra costs of studying that disabled student’s face. It is designed to help disabled students study on an equal basis with other students. Most students on a full time or part time course are eligible to apply. Your Disability Adviser will help you apply for DSA or you can find out more form from your funding bodies website:

  • Student Finance - England students: Click here for detail on how to apply
  • NHS students:  Apply through your online BOSS account
  • NHS Social Work MA students:  Apply through NHS Social Work Bursaries
  • Students Awards Agency for Scotland SAAS:  Click here for more information 
  • Student Finance - Wales students:  Click here for detail on how to apply
  • Student Finance - Northern Ireland students:  Click here for detail on how to apply

What kind of support would you be eligible for?

  • Specialist Equipment Allowance: to purchase specialist equipment to assist you in your studies such as specialist software and a Digital Voice Recorder (DVR).
  • Non-Medical Helpers Allowance: to fund people to work with you, including study coaching, mentoring, note-taker and British Sign Language (BSL) interpreters.
  • General Allowance: for other disability-related costs such as photocopying and printing expenses, books and other small items.
  • Travel costs: DSA may be able to contribute towards additional study-related travel costs incurred.

The application process for DSA can take up to 3 months with no delays. If you are in immediate need of support, we can provide you with interim support while you wait for your funding to come through please contact us.

If you have been approved for DSA support but need to contribute £200 towards the cost of a computer or laptop then you can apply to the university for financial assistance. Click here to go to the 'Disabled Students Allowance Contribution Support' form to apply for support with this cost.

International and European Union (EU) students

International and most EU students are not entitled to claim DSA, but Disability & Learner Support will do what is reasonable to ensure the student has a fair and equal opportunity to succeed, and has some funding to support this.

International and European Union (EU) students are entitled to have a Reasonable Adjustment Plan arranged for them; this can include support like extra time for examinations and help with presentations, please see making an appointment on how to book an appointment.