Skip to main content

Inviting your family and friends to the UK

Your family and friends may wish to come to the UK for a short visit, or to attend your graduation ceremony.  

What type of visa should they apply for? 

If your friends and family would like to come to the UK for a period of up to six months, they may be able to come as ‘visitors’.  In this case, they would need to apply for a Standard Visitor Visa

To find out if your family and friends need a visa to travel to the UK and how to apply please see here.  To find out what supporting documents to provide with a visa application please see here.  

Please note: in the majority of circumstances, visits of more than six months in any 12 month period are not allowed.

What documents will they need?

Please see here for a full list of documents that they will need to provide.  These will be dependent upon their circumstances.

As part of their application, you can provide:

  • a letter of invitation to help support their visa application.  We have created a Standard Visitor Visa letter template that you can use.  Simply click on the link and fill in the blue sections with your own information. You can also use it as a guide to help you make your own letter.
  • a letter from the University of Salford confirming your student status.  This letter is called a ‘Proof of Study’ letter and can be ordered here.  This will help to ‘connect’ the visitors to the UK

Please note: you must make sure that your contact details are up-to-date before requesting the letter.  This will ensure that the University posts your letter to the correct address.