Skip to main content

Leaving the University?

If, for any reason, you are thinking about leaving your programme or wish to temporarily pause or interrupt your studies, we are keen to discuss this with you.

In the first place, you should talk to your personal tutor or your programme leader. In addition you may wish to contact askUS as they have trained advisers who can help with all types of financial, personal and emotional issues. It could be that we can help you with your problem or advise you where you can access relevant help or support.

If you wish to notify the University that you are thinking about interrupting or withdrawing, you will need to complete the online form available here (choose the appropriate option from the menu at left).

The University’s Student Interruptions and Withdrawals Policy is available here.

It is very important that you consider your situation carefully. The following information is provided to help you understand some of the potential implications.

If you are considering interrupting your studies or withdrawing from the University, you are invited to attend a ‘Staying at Salford’ workshop to discuss any concerns you may have. You can book onto the workshops here or by contacting the askUS helpdesk on 0161 295 0023.

As we are keen for you to be able to stay in contact with us whilst you are on your interruption, you will still have access to your student email account during this period.

In addition to this, you are still welcome to contact your Programme Leader and/or Personal Tutor for any advice or guidance whilst you are on an interruption.

You will also have access to all relevant University buildings. These include Library buildings and you will also have access to Library services including:

  • reference access to the full Library collection;
  • limited borrowing rights;
  • access to a sub-set of electronic resources through a dedicated terminal during staffed hours;
  • access to Skills for Learning training courses.

Student Experience and Support are also available to offer you a range of services during your period of interruption. These include assistance from AskUS and the Wellbeing and Counselling Services, as well as access to advice and information from Careers and Enterprise.

If you are wishing to interrupt your studies, your fees will be recalculated up to the point of your agreed last date of attendance unless you interrupt after Academic Week 20 (if you are a taught student) or Academic Month 8 (if you are a PhD student), when 100% of the fee is incurred. The recalculation is done slightly differently depending on how you are funded

Student Finance

If you receive your funding from Student Finance England, you are permitted to interrupt your study without incurring any tuition fees up to the end of Academic Week 2.

If you interrupt after Academic Week 2, tuition fees payable are recalculated according to three liability periods. At each period a percentage of the tuition fee is paid by the Student Loans Company to the University on the following basis:

  • Second week of October (25%)
  • Second week of January (50%)
  • Second week of April (100%)

As soon as you reach a liability period you will be charged for the whole of that period. For example, if you interrupt your study on 30 October, you will incur 25% of the fee (this will apply to all students who interrupt before the second liability is reached in January, when the fee incurred will be 50%). The University will notify Student Finance of the dates of interruption and of the revised fee amount.

Maintenance loans and other grants awarded by Student Finance England are also recalculated up to your agreed last date of attendance. However, the University has no involvement in the administration, repayment or reassessment of these payments or calculations. It is strongly advised that you contact Student Finance England to discuss the financial implications before submitting an interruption request.

Self-Funding Students

If you are a self-funding taught student, you are permitted to interrupt your study without incurring tuition fees up to the end of Academic Week 2.

Tuition fees are recalculated on a weekly pro-rata basis for taught students and monthly for PhD students according to the following formula:

  • Weekly charges: fee divided by 30 (i.e. standard number of weeks in an academic year) multiplied by the number of weeks registered on course. e.g. Student paying £6,000 annual fee interrupts in Academic Week 10: (£6,000/30) x 10 = £2,000 fee incurred
  • Monthly charges: Fee divided by 12 multiplied by number of months (or partial months) registered. e.g. Student paying £6,000 fee interrupts in Academic Month 3: (£6,000/12) x 3 = £1,500 fee incurred
  • Please note 100% of the fee will be charged after Academic Week 20 (for taught students) and Academic Month 8 (for PhD students)

Sponsored Students

If you are interrupting and receive sponsorship for your studies, your fees will be recalculated the same way as for self-funding students. The sponsor will be notified of any outstanding credit or debit balances.

Scholarships, Bursaries and other Discounts

Any discounts offered directly by the University will be recalculated pro-rata on the same basis as the tuition fees up to the agreed last date of attendance.

Returning from Interruption

When returning from an interruption of study you will need to re-register and will be subject to payment of any outstanding fees at the point of your return. You will also be charged fees for any study to be repeated. Any scholarships, bursaries and other discounts will be reapplied commensurate with the fees.

If you are funded by Student Finance, the University will send a notification advising you that you are re-registered. Any part of an academic year attended counts as a full year of funding, however, funded students are generally entitled to one year of funding in addition to the length of their course e.g. if studying a regular 3-year undergraduate degree, you may be entitled to a fourth year of funding. This is dependent on you not having had prior study, and is given entirely at the discretion of Student Finance. It is recommended that you contact Student Finance to discuss your eligibility for this additional year of funding.

Process for interruptions on a Tier4 Visa:

  1. Understand visa implications of an interruption
  2. Leave the UK
  3. Provide proof you left the UK
  4. Request a CAS to return to the UK
  5. Apply for your visa
  6. Re-register at Salford

Going on Interruption

When you have a Tier 4 visa, your sole purpose for being in the UK is to study on a full time basis. If you need to interrupt for any reason you need to consider the following points:

  1. Depending on your course of study, UK legislation allows different amounts of time to study at different levels: a. Below degree level – 2 years; b. Undergraduate degree and Masters combined - 5 years 11 months (including wrap up time); c. Postgraduate Research – 8 years. A. If your interruption means you will not be actively studying for 60 days or more the University is required to withdraw your current leave to remain in the UK. This means you will be required to leave the UK as soon as possible after your interruption has started to protect your immigration status. B. If you are required to interrupt for a period of up to 59 days we strongly recommend that you surrender your Tier 4 visa and leave the UK whilst you are not studying as this will ensure you are able to return at the appropriate time and focus on your studies. Irrespective of how long you interrupt for, if you do not surrender your visa at this point you forfeit the right to an extension to your course. In addition, this time counts towards the total time you are permitted to study for (as shown above).
  2. Once you have understood the above and you have taken an interruption, you will receive an email from the Home Office Compliance Team informing you that you should leave the UK as soon as possible and provide evidence you have left the UK. Please see the point below on what is acceptable ‘exit evidence’.
  3. If you are a level 3, undergraduate or taught postgraduate student undertaking an interruption for 90 days or more, the University will withdraw the sponsorship and you will have to leave the UK as soon as possible. You will have to apply for a new visa when you return.
  4. If you are a postgraduate research student undertaking an interruption for 90 days or more, the University will withdraw the sponsorship and you will have to leave the UK as soon as possible. You will have to apply for a new visa when you return.

Returning from interruption

When you are ready to return from Interruption you will need to complete the following actions:

  1. Submit exit evidence to prove that you left the UK, this can be: * Flight tickets and boarding pass; * Entry stamps from your home country; * Entry certificate from your home country. Send the above to the Home Office Compliance Team:
  2. Request a new Confirmation of Acceptance to Study (CAS) number. The CAS request form will be sent to you on receipt of your exit evidence. The CAS takes 5 working days to process on receipt of all the required information;
  3. Receive your CAS and apply for your visa. Help can be found here;
  4. Return to the UK to re-register for your course.

Pregnancy and illness

If you suffer from a long term illness or require maternity leave during pregnancy/after giving birth and are unable to continue with studies The University strongly advises that you interrupt studies and leave the UK and return to your programme when you are able to focus on your studies. If you are unable to travel, we advise you make contact with the Home Office Compliance Team in the Ask Us Service. This will enable us to discuss your options with you and help you to protect your immigration status.

Once your interruption is agreed in principle with the University, contact your landlord / agent as soon as possible to discuss your options with them.

If you want to remain in your accommodation and you have signed a contract then you should be entitled to stay, as long as your contract does not say anything about you maintaining your student status. You will need to check whether you will become eligible for council tax.

If you would like to leave your accommodation, but have signed a tenancy agreement then you are legally bound to that contract and it is not usually possible to 'get out of it'. However do speak to your landlord, agent or site office in the first instance to find out about their terms and whether they will release you early as occasionally this will be possible, particularly if you can find another tenant to take on your contract. If your landlord does agree to end your contract early, they may still require you to pay all your rent or a portion of your rent and some administrative fees. To get further information about your rights as a tenant, follow the links below:

If you are in financial hardship, you can speak with a Money Adviser (book an appointment through askUS) to see if there is any advice or assistance they can give you. If you are asked to find a replacement tenant before leaving, you can try advertising on the message board on the Manchester Student Homes website or through relevant Facebook sites/groups. Or for any other accommodation support please contact askUS on 0161 295 0023 (option 7) or email

When you return from an interruption of study, you will be required to re-register and will then sign up for the Academic Regulations and the programme and module specifications in force at the time you resume studies.