How do I change a course
Many students change courses. Maybe you are not happy with your course? Or feel you have made a wrong decision or perhaps you need to leave for personal reasons? The one important thing is that you need to work out if it is the right thing for you to do and what to do next.
We can help you do this by offering advice and guidance around issues such as:
- how to choose a further course
- whether changing course will achieve what you want
- finding other suitable courses
- the process of transferring course.
There are some very useful pages for course changers on the Graduate Prospects website, which will help you think more deeply about the issues listed above. AGCAS have also published a document Changing or Leaving your Course.
Top tips for changing your course
- The earlier on in the academic year you decide you want to change courses, the more likely you are to be able to switch straight on to your course of choice, if there are places available.
- If you are sure you want to change on to a different course, speak to the potential course leader/admissions tutor. It will be at their discretion as to whether you can transfer and they will be able to tell you if there is room on the course. Make sure you are clear why you left or are leaving your old course and why you want to be on your potential course.
- If you can change courses within the University, you will need to get a transfer form from your new course administrator. If your course change involves a move to another University you may need to apply through UCAS - it is important to be clear on the method of application.
Interruptions and Withdrawls: Practical information and advice, including workshops - Thinking of Leaving
Speak to a Careers Consultant
If you are considering changing course, or leaving the University before completing your course, you are welcome to discuss your options with a Careers Consultant. The discussion will be both confidential and impartial.
Please click here to view & book one of our current appointment options. A Careers Consultant will listen to your ideas, help you identify your strengths, weaknesses and skills and assist you in relating all of these things to the world of work. You can also book an appointment either via the askUS Desk in University House or ring 0161 295 0023 (option 5)
Appointments are available for current students/graduates of the University of Salford.
Back on Course (Managed by the Open University in partnership with UCAS)
Back on Course is an impartial telephone and email advice and guidance service for people who have left University. If you are considering returning to university or progressing onto apprenticeships, employment or further training, then Back on Course may be able to advise you on options available to you.
Telephone Advice Line: 0845 366 0476