Professor Seamus Simpson
Professor of Media Policy
I am Professor of Media Policy in the School of Arts and Media at the University of Salford. My research interests are in European and global communications policy. My work has been funded by the ESRC and the European Commission. I was part of the PricewaterhouseCoopers team which undertook the first EU-funded evaluation of the pan-European electronic communications regulator, BEREC, in 2012. I served as elected Vice-Chair and Chair of the Communication Law and Policy Division of the International Communication Association between 2012 and 2016 and was an ICA Board of Directors member (2014-16). I am a Senior Editor of the Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Communication (Oxford University Press). I am a member of the ESRC's Peer Review College and the Academic Management Committee of the AHRC North West Consortium Doctoral Training Partnership. I am Research Group Lead of the Communication, Cultural and Media Research Group at Salford.
Interests, Power and Media Policy
I have supervised 19 research degrees to completion (18 PhD and 1MPhil) and am interested in supervising PhD candidates in economic, social and political aspects of media and communications
All aspects of European and global media policy and regulatory governance
Recent Externally Funded Research Project:
Sept 2015 to August 2018. International Professional Fora – A study of Civil Society Organisation Participation in Internet Governance. Co-Investigator with Alison Harcourt (University of Exeter – Principal Investigator) and George Christou (University of Warwick – Co-Investigator).
Funder: Economic and Social Research Council. Project value: £370,000
Qualifications and Memberships
MA International Business and International Financial Management
PhD (European Telecommunications Policy)
Member of Economic and Social Research Council Peer Review College
Member of the International Communication Association
zMember of the European Communication Research and Education Association, Communications Law and Policy Section
Member of the UK Political Studies Association
Books and other major authored research works
- 2020 Alison Harcourt, Christou, George and Simpson, Seamus Global Standard Setting in Internet Governance. Oxford: Oxford University Press. In press.
- 2018 Humphreys, Peter and Seamus Simpson Regulation, Governance and Convergence in the Media Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- 2016 Simpson Seamus, Manuel Puppis and Hilda Van den Bulck (Eds) European Media Policy for the 21st Century – Assessing the Past, Setting Agendas for the Future; London: Routledge.
- 2012 Pierre Philippe, Hanssens Serge, Szenci Krisztina, Kauffman Alain, Simpson Seamus, Boeger Nina, Corkin Joseph Study on the Evaluation of BEREC and the BEREC Office, Brussels: Office of Publications of the EU, 252pp.
- 2007 George Christou and Seamus Simpson (2007) The New Electronic Economy – European Governance Strategies in a Globalising Economy. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- 2005 Humphreys, Peter and Seamus Simpson (2005) Globalisation, Convergence and European Telecommunications Regulation, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
Articles in Peer-Reviewed International Journals:
- 2019 Rashid, Imir and Simpson, Seamus 'The Struggle for Co-existence: Communication Policy by Private Technical Standards Making and its Limits in Unlicensed Spectrum', Information, Communication & Society, DOI: 10.1080/1369118X.2019.1662072.
- 2019 Rashid, Imir and Simpson, Seamus 'Civil Society activism, strategic alignment and international public policy making for spectrum', Journal of Civil Society, 15(1), pp. 62-81.
- 2017 Simpson, Seamus ‘European Union Telecommunications Policy’, Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Communication. Oxford University Press. October. DOI: 10.1093/acrefore/9780190228613.013.128
- 2016 Simpson, Seamus ‘Intervention, Net Neutrality and European Media Policy’, International Journal of Digital Television, 7(3), 331-46.
- 2014 Simpson, Seamus ‘ Next Generation Network environments in Europe: the significance of the EU as a policy actor’, Government Information Quarterly, 31(1), 100-07.
- 2014 Christou, George and Simpson, Seamus ‘Shaping the global communications milieu: the EU in global Internet and telecommunications policy. Comparative European Politics, 12(1), 54-75
- 2013 Simpson, Seamus ‘The potential of soft governance in the EU Information Society: lessons from the EU Electronic Communications Regulatory Framework’. Information, Communication and Society, 16(6), 899-917.
- 2012 Simpson, Seamus ‘Evolving Communications Policy Agendas and ‘North-South’ Relations – the Internet and Telecommunications’. Communications, 37(2), 195-214.
- 2011 Simpson, Seamus ‘New Governance in European Union Policy Making – Policy Innovation or Political Compromise in European Telecommunications?’, West European Politics, 34(5), 1114-33
- 2011 Christou, George and Seamus Simpson, ‘Multilateralism, the EU and the Evolving Global Governance of the Internet’, Journal of European Public Policy, 18(2), 241-57
- 2010 Simpson, Seamus ‘Effective Communications Regulation in an Era of Convergence? The Case of Premium Rate Telephony and Television in the UK’ Convergence, 16(2), 217-33
- 2010 Simpson, Seamus ‘Governing Information Infrastructures and Services: States, Markets and the Public Interest in Telecommunications’ Aslib Proceedings, 62(1), 46-56
- 2009 Simpson, Seamus ‘Supranationalism and its Limits in European Telecommunications Governance - The European Electronic Communications Markets Authority Initiative’ Information, Communication and Society’, 12(8), 1224-41
- 2009 Christou, George and Seamus Simpson ‘New Governance, the Internet and Country Code Top Level Domains in Europe’, Governance, 22(4), 599-624
- 2008 Humphreys, Peter and Seamus Simpson ‘Globalization, the ‘Competition’ State and the Rise of the ‘Regulatory’ State in European Telecommunications’, Journal of Common Market Studies, 46(4), 849-74
- 2007 George Christou and Seamus Simpson ‘Gaining a Stake in Global Internet Governance: the EU, ICANN and Strategic Norm Manipulation’, European Journal of Communication, 22 (2), 147-64
- 2006 Christou, George and Seamus Simpson “The Internet and Public-Private Governance in the European Union. Journal of Public Policy. Vol 26, 1, 43-61
Recent International Refereed Conference Papers
- 2019 Rashid, Imir and Seamus Simpson ‘Governing Mobile Internet Communication: The EU, Private Technical Standards Making and the Pursuit of Co-Existence in Unlicensed Spectrum’. Paper presented to the 2019 GIG-ARTS conference, Salerno, Italy, 16-17 May.
- 2018 Simpson Seamus ‘Public Policy and Media Convergence – Paths, Limitations and Prospects’. Paper presented to the 57th FITCE Congress, MediacityUK, 6-7 September.
- 2018 Simpson, Seamus ‘State preferences in SDO decisions: the road to co-existence in unlicensed spectrum’. Paper presented to the 2018 European Consortium for Political Research Standing Group on Regulatory Governance conference, Lausanne, Switzerland, 4-6 July.
- 2017 Simpson, Seamus and Imir Rashid ‘International Technical Standards Development as Internet Governance – the Case of Wireless Internet Communication’. Paper presented to the 2017 European Consortium for Political Research General Conference. Panel: Stakeholder Governance in standards Development Organisations: Exploring Mechanisms of the State, Market and Civil society in Internet Governance. Oslo, 6-9 September.
- 2017 Rashid, Imir and Seamus Simpson ‘Spectrum Standards Development as Communication Policy Process: Spectrum Co-Existence and Civil Society’. Paper presented to the 2017 International Communication Association Conference, San Diego, USA, 25-29 May.
- 2016 Rashid, Imir and Seamus Simpson ‘Global Civil Society Activism and the Public Interest in the Debate on the Future Shape of Spectrum. Paper prepared for the 2016 UK Political Studies Association conference, Brighton, 21-23 March.
- 2015 Simpson, Seamus ‘Convergence, Net Neutrality and European Media Policy’. Paper presented to the FACE conference, ‘European Media Policy 2015: New Contexts, New Approaches’, 9-10 April, Helsinki.
Conferences and Conference Panels Organised
- 2017: Content Director of the Nations and Regions Media conference, The Lowry Theatre, Salford Quays, 28-29 March.
- 2016: Co-organiser (with Katharine Sarikakis, University of Vienna, Texas) of the Communication Law and Policy Division contribution to the International Communication Association Annual Conference, Fukuoka, Japan, 9-13 June.
- 2016: Programme Chair of the Challenging Media Landscapes conference, MediacityUK, 14-15 November.
- 2015 Content Director of the Nations and Regions Media Conference, MediacityUK, 16-17 November
- 2015: Programme Chair of the Challenging Media Landscapes conference, MediacityUK, 16 November
- 2015: Co-organiser (with Katharine Sarikakis, University of Vienna) of the Communication Law and Policy Division contribution to the International Communication Association Annual Conference, San Juan, Puerto Rico, 21-25 May.
- 2014: Co-organiser (with Laura Stein, University of Austin, Texas) of the Communication Law and Policy Division contribution to the International Communication Association Annual Conference, Seattle, 22-26 May.
- 2013: Content Director, Salford Media Festival, MediaCityUK, 18-22 November.
- 2013: Organiser of the European Communication Research and Education Association Communication Law and Policy Division conference, Communication & Media Policy in Europe: Assessing the Past, Setting Agendas for the Future, MediaCityUK, 25-26 O ctober.
- 2013: Co-organiser (with Laura Stein, University of Austin, Texas) of the Communication Law and Policy Division contribution to the International Communication Association Annual Conference, London, 17-21 June