Programme Leader in Fashion
I have been in higher education teaching fashion design to students for 17years. I joined the University of Salford in 2006 as programme leader of fashion having previously worked at Arts University College Bournemouth. Prior to that I worked in the fashion Industry for various fashion brands and designers in London, Barcelona, Durban (SA) and Taipei both as designer and creative pattern-cutter.
My current role involves management and leadership of the fashion department including the development and planning of curriculum/learning programme. I am also responsible for managing budgets and all staffing within the area with emphasis on leading a positive working environment where learning is transmitted consistently, and is distinctive of a high quality undergraduate offer. Also as pathway leader in the design area, I teach students in their 2nd and final year of study. Formal scheduled teaching duties include delivering lectures, Seminars, tutorials and demonstrations including assessment throughout the academic years. Areas of specialism are conceptual design development processes and creative pattern cutting/draping. Also I work with all final year students on their design portfolios.
I have been fortunate to be involved in many international collaborations including been invited to deliver master classes at Columbia College (Chicago, US), University of St Petersburgh (Russia), Conde Nast (Shanghai, China), ZFIT (Ningbo, China). Fu Jen University (Taipei, Taiwan)
In 2017, our Fashion programme was runner-up in the Guardian Teaching Excellence Award as well as been a finalist for the Times Higher Education award for international collaboration of the year.
I have been in education teaching students for over 15years. I joined the University of Salford in 2006 as programme leader of fashion having previously worked at the Arts University College Bournemouth. Prior to that I had worked in the fashion Industry for various brands and designers including in London, Barcelona, South Africa and Taipei, Taiwan as designer or creative pattern-cutter. My role involves the management and leadership of BA Hons Fashion Design. I am responsible for all development and planning of curriculum/learning area and the creative direction of the programme. I am member of GFW, BFC and also on the Arts Thread International education board. Our aim is to offer a distinctive internationally renowned fashion design programme with the highest professional standards.
Qualifications and Memberships
- PGCE [Post Graduate Certificate in H. Education]
- FAETC [Teaching Certificate Stage 1]
- Masters with distinction in Fashion & Textiles
- PG Dip with distinction in Fashion & Textiles
- BA Hons in Fashion Studies
- BTEC in Fashion Design
Membership of Committees, Working Parties at University of Salford
- School of Arts and Media, Exam Boards Chair, 2012-Present
- School of Arts and Media, International Group, 2011-Present
- Joint Chair on the Student Complaints Committee, 2012-2013
- Member of Student Personal Mitigating Circumstances Board, 2010-2013
- Member of School of Design Enterprise Committee, 2008-2011
- Member of the Teaching and Learning Committee, 2008-2011
- Member of the School of Art and Design Marketing Committee, 2009-2010
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Member of Skillset, 2015 – Present
- Member of Arts Thread International Education Board, 2015 – Present
- Member of the British Fashion Council Colleges Council, 2008 – Present
- Member of Graduate Fashion Week, 2000 – Present
- Member and Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, 2005 – Present
- Member of Association of Degree Courses in Fashion & Textiles, 2006 – 2010
- 1999 Sogo, Taipei, Taiwan (Jiarjia) 1999
- 1998 Custard Factory, Birmingham. (Private) -1998
- 1998 Photo 98, Birmingham (Public) – 1998
- 1996 Graduate Fashion Week - 1996
- Titas, Textile & Apparel, Taipei /Premier Vision, Textile, Paris /Premier/Pure/40%
- Conde Nast, (1999, Sep) Jiarjia (advertisement), Vogue Taiwan,
- Conde Nast (1999,Nov) Jiarjia (advertisement), Vogue Taiwan,
- Hearst Magazines (1999,Aug) Profile on designers, Harpers Bazaar Taiwan
- 2013 & 2014 Admiral Needle Fashion Gran Prix, University of St Petersburg. Invited as fashion show judge on their panel of distinguished international members of fashion industry and education. The event is over 4 days and the biggest in the Russian Federation for new and young designers.
- 2001 – 2017 As programme leader and pathway leader of fashion design programmes I have participated and led numerous student fashion shows and events including at GFW London for over 16years.