Skip to main content


Wherever in the world your exciting new journey is starting from, we can’t wait to see your Salford story develop. Before you set off, take a look at the information below. It will help you get everything in place to get your first few weeks running smoothly.

Find out how to apply for your course as a Tier 4 student, how to apply for a visa from inside and outside the UK from our new Immigration and visa website.

You may also want to take a look at our handy guide on Cost of Living in the UK.

Make your journey from the airport to your accommodation an easy one, by booking our airport taxi transfer service.    

If you fly into Manchester International Airport you can get free taxi transfer to the University campus or your student accommodation. You need to book in advance to take advantage of this service.     

Book your taxi transfer and find out more...

Before you depart, check that you have all the documents you will need and carry them in your hand luggage. You will need show some of these documents to the UK Border Force officers and further documents if you have booked a taxi transfer.    

Please ensure you have the following ready when you arrive:    

  • Your landing card. You will be given a landing card on the airplane shortly before you land. You must complete the card and have it ready to hand to the Border Force officer on arrival      
  • Your passport. Remove your passport from any protective case before handing it to the Border Force officer      
  • Visa. This could be in the form of a vignette in your passport and/or a decision letter proving your right to study in the UK.      
  • Your CAS letter. You may be asked to show your CAS on arrival in the UK      
  • Your medical card. You may be asked to show a medical card or a TB screening certificate (depending on your country of origin) on arrival in the UK      
  • Your University offer letter. You will need to show this to the taxi company if you have pre-booked a taxi transfer      
  • Your airport welcome/taxi transfer confirmation. You will need to show this to the taxi company if you have booked a taxi transfer.

Depending on your circumstances, the following documents may be required once you have entered the UK, either for your University registration or for other purposes:    

  • Travel and health insurance documents      
  • Documentary evidence of your finances including confirmation of sponsorship      
  • Documentary evidence of your qualifications (original documents of academic certificates and/or original official transcripts)      
  • Your offer letter from the University of Salford      
  • Original documentary evidence of your English language skills (if required)      
  • Your ATAS Certificate (if required)      
  • Driver’s license (if you have one)      
  • Any doctor’s letter outlining medical conditions or prescribed drugs      

What you should pack will depend on your individual circumstances. Here are some items we recommend you bring with you:

  • Pack at least one warm sweater and a jacket. Cotton or wool fabric are much warmer than synthetic fabrics. You can buy suitable warm clothes at low cost once you arrive. Student support staff or welcome staff can advise where to go for bargains.      
  • A dictionary. This can be very useful especially at the start of your studies      
  • Small personal items such as photographs that can help your new accommodation feel more like home

Your entire household!    

  • You can buy all the household items you may need, such as bedding, or kitchenware locally at low cost      
  • Too many books. You can borrow most books you need at the library or they may be available second hand from other students      

There are some things you cannot bring into the UK, or are subject to restrictions:    

  • Banned goods. These include items such as firearms, knives, imitation or ceremonial weapons, certain fur or animal skin products, indecent or obscene materials. 
  • Food products and plants. There are restrictions on bringing certain food stuffs and plants into the UK. Meat and dairy products are not allowed in most cases,and restrictions apply to vegetables and plants. Restricted goods will be confiscated on arrival, so please check the regulations carefully.        
  • Duty Free Goods. You can bring in a certain amount of duty/tax free goods into the UK for your own use. This is known as a ‘duty free allowance’. If you go over your allowance, you may have to pay duty or tax. There are limits to the amount of tobacco and alcohol you can bring into the country and on the value of other goods.
  • Cash. You must declare on arrival any amounts of cash in any currency you are bringing into the UK which is equivalent to or more than 10,000 Euro.

You must have agreed a payment plan with the University for any outstanding tuition fees before you can complete student registration.    

You can pay any balance on your fees in full on arrival, or you can arrange to pay the balance in instalments.    


There are also a number of accommodation payment plans available to you:

The first step of registering as a student is to attend International Check In.    

You must bring the following original documents to check in:    

  • Your passport      
  • Your current visa      
  • Your offer letter from the University of Salford      
  • Documentary evidence of your academic qualifications      
  • Your English language certificate (if required)      
  • Your ATAS certificate (if required)      

Please check at Registration section for details of where and when you should attend International Check In.

After International Check In, you will complete registration through a short online process to confirm: your personal details, the programme you will be studying, and the method of fee payment.

  • You will only be able to complete registration if you have an agreed payment plan for any outstanding fees        
  • You must complete registration by the deadline set by your programme        
  • We are required by law to advise the UKVI (VISA) if any student who has received a CAS number does not register by the deadline. Your visa may be cancelled if you have not registered on your programme        
  • Please contact the Registration Team at if you have any problems registering by the set deadline. If you are unable to register by the deadline, you may need to defer the start date of your programme. If you are required to defer, please contact the International Conversion Team at, stating your student ID number        
  • Deferring your start date will affect your immigration status. If you are already in the UK, please contact a University visa advisor at If you are still in your home country, please contact the agency that issued your Tier 4 visa for more information.

It is important to make a note of all important dates which relate to your immigration status and set reminders for taking any action required, such as applying for a visa extension, or renewing your passport.    

  • The date your current visa expires        
  • The date you will need to request a CAS number, if you need a visa extension, or want to switch from a Student Visitor Visa to a Tier 4 Visa during your studies        
  • The date your passport expires        
  • Dates you are meeting with your supervisor (if you are a research student, or a masters student who has progressed to writing up your dissertation)        

There are two departments within the University you will deal with regarding your immigration status.    

askUS offers general support and specialist visa advice for all visa categories. askUS run a ‘batch scheme’ to help you apply for an extension of your Tier 4 visa.    

Main Office: University House, Peel Park Campus

w :

e :

t : +44 (0)161 295 0023

Student Administration is responsible for your student records, including keeping copies of your immigration documents and academic qualifications. Student Administration is also responsible for supervising the Attendance Monitoring scheme.    

Main Office: University House, Peel Park Campus

e :

t : +44 (0)161 295 2060

Welcome WeekWelcome week takes place from 23 – 27 January where there will be orientation and social events for international students.        

If you are coming to the UK or to Salford for the first time, we recommend you arrive in time to join in with the welcome programme.        

During Welcome Week, there will be social activities, talks and lectures about university life. You can go on guided tours of the campus and trips out to explore the local area, the city of Manchester, and the north west of England.        

You can find out more about the welcome programme at

During the week starting Monday 23 January, before teaching begins, your programme leader will organise a number of induction events to introduce you to the course, to your lecturers, and to the other students you will be studying with. It is important that you attend all these events, so that you will be fully prepared when teaching begins.    

You can find a timetable of your induction activities by searching for your programme here

Attendance mornitoring

We are required by law to inform the Home Office if any international student is not attending classes regularly. Most courses will require you to submit an attendance form to your school office each week or month depending on your mode of study.        

This form can be collected from your school office or downloaded from our website here, this must be signed each week by a lecturer or supervisor before you submit online.      

Research students, or students on placement, must make suitable alternative arrangements with their supervisor to get their signature.        

If you do not submit an Attendance Monitoring form regularly, the University must report this to the Home Office, and your visa could be revoked.    

For full details, visit the Visa and Immigration webpages.

You must provide a UK address and telephone number as part of the University registration process.    

It is a requirement of your visa that you inform the University if either should change.    

If you don’t have a permanent address when you register with the University, you can provide a temporary address.    

When this changes you must update your details at here

International studentsWe offer a wealth of support for students who are studying in the UK for the first time, and those who are returning to continue their studies. For more information, click here and scroll through the information below.

InterLink: InterLink links new international students with current students from the UK. Your InterLink mentor is there to give you advice and answer your questions about being a student at Salford. You can meet your InterLink  mentor in person when  you arrive, or email them before you leave home. You can meet your InterLink mentor in person when you arrive or talk to them by email before you leave home. 

LEAP: If English is not your first language, you may want to join our Learning English for Academic Purposes (LEAP) scheme. LEAP is a free programme for international students who want to improve their English language skills, and focuses on helping you write better assignments and theses. 

The International Society: As an international student at Salford, you will get free membership of The International Society. The International Society offers social activities and additional classes to international students from The University of Salford, the University of Manchester and Manchester Metropolitan University. 

The Students’ Union activity groups: The University of Salford Students’ Union runs over 80 sporting and activity groups open to all students to join. Whatever you’re interested in, you are likely to find a group of students with similar interests. During your induction week, the Students’ Union runs an activities fair where you can meet representatives of the various groups and sign up to become a member. 

On Peel Park campus, we have a multi-faith chaplaincy based in University House, which is open to students of all faiths. We have a Catholic chaplain, a Church of England chaplain and a Muslim chaplain on the multi-faith team. There is also a Muslim prayer facility based in Newton Annexe on Peel Park campus.

If you are coming to the UK for more than six months, you may be required to register with the police as part of your visa regulations. Find out the full details...