Professional Sound and Video Technology
School - School of Computing, Science & Engineering
Subject area - Acoustics, Audio and Video
UCAS Code: H649
Start Dates(s): September
Three years full-time
Four years full-time with placement
UK - £9250 per year
International - £14,400
- You will be based at MediaCityUK – the heart of media production in the north, next door to the BBC and ITV
- You will use excellent facilities including TV Studios and ProTools based multitrack sound recording studios
- Accredited by the Joint Audio Media Education Support
- Based at MediaCityUK
- Work/industrial placement opportunity
- International students can apply
BSc (Hons) Professional Sound and Video Technology teaches you the creative skills to generate and produce the best digital media content and the technical knowledge to deliver it to an audience. It includes production of television and animated content using our cameras, edit suites and TV studios, audio content using our ProTools based sound recording studios and web content.
The degree is based in our state of the art building at MediaCityUK, the hub of media production in the north. Big names here include BBC, who have three buildings and 2300 staff just next door, and ITV, who are in the floors above us. Coronation Street is now filmed at MediaCityUK. Smaller businesses and freelancers occupy the Pie Factory and the Greenhouse.
Being based at MediaCityUK allows you to build your portfolio both within the course and on extra-curricular activities. Outside the course, students take advantage of our location to gain work experience (BBC Blue Peter, Comic Relief, Children in Need, SIS), take part in client competitions (Hewlett Packard) and work on our own live QuaysTV show. Strong students gain paid freelance work whilst on the programme including working on live premership football with ADI TV and on big name shows including Britain’s Got Talent and X Factor.
BSc (Hons) Professional Sound and Video Technology is accredited by the Joint Audio Media Education Support.
BSc(Hons) Professional Sound and Video Technology is covers both digital media production and media technology. On the degree you will study the following strands:
- Audio and Music Technology – here you study both sound production and the supporting technologies. In one lesson you may be in our sound recording studios with a band, in the next you may be in a lecture learning the underlying principles of surround sound systems.
- Television and Animation – in this strand you learn how to make high quality films using our cameras and edit suites, and our high specification TV studios. You also learn how to produce 2D and 3D animations to make, for example, idents. We also cover the underlying technologies including, for example, video compression and computer networking
- Web Design – here you learn how to make high quality, interactive web sites.
In your final year, you pick an individual project.
Please note, exact modules may vary in order to keep content current. Your tutor will be able to advise you as to the modules you will study on or before the start of the programme.