We are located just 2km from Manchester city centre and consequently have great transport links, regardless of whether you’re travelling from across Greater Manchester, across the UK or from further afield.
Salford Crescent train station is located in the middle of our campus, between our Peel Park and Frederick Road sites, making us very easy to get to by rail. Trains from both Manchester Piccadilly and Manchester Victoria run through the station regularly, as well as from Manchester Airport, Blackpool, Southport, Wigan, Blackburn, Preston and Huddersfield. The station is fully accessible for wheelchairs, pushchairs and bicycles.
The Crescent/A6 runs alongside our campus and is a major bus route into and out of Manchester city centre. There are several stops for our campus, so to find the best journey for you, see Transport for Greater Manchester’s Route Explorer.
We have several large car parks right on campus. These are free for our Open Day visitors and you can view the campus map to see their locations. A bit closer to the day, we’ll let you know where you need to check in when you get here and suggest which car park is best for you to use.
If you feel like stretching your legs and want to get a feel for the area, we’re a pretty easy 15 minute walk from Manchester city centre. From the Arndale Centre, head across the River Irwell to Chapel Street and take a left…that will bring you past Salford Central train station (on your left), Salford Cathedral (a bit further up on your right) and, about half a mile later, right to our doorstep.
Manchester International Airport is 10 miles from the University. There are regular, direct train services to and from Salford Crescent station and Manchester Piccadilly. Buses also link the airport and Manchester city centre. To find the best journey for you, see Transport for Greater Manchester’s Route Explorer.
- Runs every six minutes in both directions between Manchester Piccadilly and MediaCityUK
- Only 15 minutes between MediaCityUK and Manchester Piccadilly by tram
- The CityConnect number 50, operated by Stagecoach, runs every 10-15 minutes from Manchester city centre via the University of Salford’s main Peel Park campus and Salford Shopping Centre, between 7am and 11pm, Monday to Friday, and between 8am and 6pm at the weekend. To find the best journey for you, see Transport for Greater Manchester’s Route Explorer.
- The X50 runs every 15 minutes from Manchester city centre to the Trafford Centre via Salford Quays. MediaCityUK is just a few minutes’ walk from the Imperial War Museum stop on Trafford Wharf Road, via footbridge over the Manchester Ship Canal. For timetable details visit operator Stagecoach’s website
- A new link road with the M602 motorway will give drivers the option to approach MediaCityUK from either end of Broadway. The M602 provides onward linkages to major routes leading in all directions.
- If you’d like to take advantage of our free on-campus parking for the Open Day, we are running a free shuttle between our main campus and MediaCityUK throughout the day. Use our Irwell Place car park and hop on the shuttle at Maxwell Hall for the 15 ride.
The University doesn’t have any parking at MediaCityUK, so, if you do chose to drive here, you will need to pay to park.
Getting around campus
We know being in a new place can be a bit overwhelming and we’ll do our best to point you in the right direction based on the primary course you’ve chosen when you booked onto the Open Day.
A couple of weeks before the event, we’ll provide you with information on which Check-in point to attend when you arrive to ensure you’re as close to your course session as possible.
If at any point you’re struggling to find your way around while you’re here, though, our Student Ambassadors will be in red tops all over campus and are happy to help you get your bearings.