Skip to main content

Applied? Here’s what to do next

I have applied

The simplest way to monitor the progress of your application is via UCAS Track. This updates with any changes to your application status as soon as they occur. If you have any questions about your application, there are a number of ways for you to contact UCAS. You can also speak to our admissions team on or +44 (0)161 295 4545.

Our two vibrant campuses have undergone significant regeneration to offer the best possible learning spaces for our students.

Peel Park is our main campus. It’s home to many of our key teaching facilities, including our £22m Health and Social Care building and the New Adelphi, a brand new £55m home for the School of Arts and Media.

On Peek Park campus you’ll also find the Clifford Whitworth Library, the Students’ Union, the Sports Centre, and Peel Park Quarter student accommodation.

Our campus at MediaCityUK is the place to be if you’re studying a media-based degree. This digital and creative hub is home to over 80 organisations including the BBC and ITV. MediaCityUK is a free bus-ride away from Peel Park and is easily accessible – by bus, car or tram – from Manchester and Salford.

There’s no better way to find out what course and university is right for you than visiting in person. At the University of Salford we offer plenty of ways to do this, from joining us at an open day, attending one of our European or international fairs, or coming to an applicant visit day.

If you’re an international student, visiting one of our European or international fairs is a great way to find out more about us and your course of interest. Our representatives regularly travel overseas and are happy to meet you to discuss what it’s like to live and study at the University of Salford. See our list of international fairs for upcoming dates, times and locations.

You can also come to one of our open days. These are available to everyone and cover all of our undergraduate subject areas and specialisms. You’ll learn more about the courses we offer, get to view our specialist facilities, meet staff and students from your subject area of interest, go on a tour of our campuses, see what our student accommodation is like, and visit our library and sports centre. Click on the link to book your place on our next open day.  

If you receive an offer to study with us, we’ll send you an email inviting you to attend an applicant visit day. These are the next step on from our open days and give an invaluable insight into what it’s like to study, live and socialise at the University of Salford. Because these events are for offer-holders, most applicant visit days will take place between February and April of the year you intend to start your studies. When you book your place, you’ll get the chance to tailor your day according to your interests and circumstances. Once you’ve booked, we’ll send you more information about travel, transport and tips for making the most of your visit.

Nothing beats seeing our campus in person, but before you visit, you can also take a tour from the comfort of your own home. Through our virtual open day you can explore everything from student accommodation to our industry standard facilities. You can also hear from students who have studied the course you’re interested in, and find out what it’s like to live in Salford and Manchester.

There’s a lot more to student life than the course you are studying, and where you’re based can make a big difference to your university experience. With Manchester on our doorstep and MediaCityUK just a stone’s throw away, we can’t think of a better place to study than the University of Salford.

Manchester is one of the UK’s most cosmopolitan cities and boasts one of the largest student populations in Europe. Our Peel Park campus is situated less than 3km from Manchester city centre, so whether you’re into music or sport, shopping, art, entertainment or culture, you’re close to enjoying everything a world-class city has to offer.

Salford also has a host of great attractions. If you’re looking for culture, Salford Museum and Art Gallery is located on Peel Park campus. Islington Mill is just a short walk away and has alternative gigs, club nights, exhibitions and an annual music and arts festival.

Over at MediaCityUK, over 80 digital, creative and media organisations sit side-by-side with shopping, restaurants, bars, a cinema and the Lowry theatre. MediaCityUK is also home to our second University campus, and you can access all of this via a quick (and free) bus ride from Peel Park campus.

Salford has excellent transport links, making it easy to get to the University.

Salford Crescent train station sits at the heart of our Peel Park campus, providing a quick route into Manchester city centre or Manchester Airport.

Getting to the University - from Manchester: walk (20 mins); train (10 mins); drive (10 mins). From Manchester Airport: train or drive (both 30 mins). From London: train (2 hours); drive (4 hours) plane (1 hour).

Our university is also located on a major bus route, with regular services running to our Peel Park and MediaCityUK campuses.

Our MediaCityUK campus is easily accessible by bus and tram. There are also over 300 cycle bays located across the MediaCityUK site.

If you’re coming to the University of Salford from overseas, Manchester Airport is just a 30-minute drive away and offers a choice of more than 200 destinations worldwide. Additional overseas connections are available at the nearby Liverpool John Lennon Airport.

Click on the link to find out more about travelling to the University.

You’ll find everything you need for a great student experience on our two vibrant campuses.

Peel Park is home to the Clifford Whitworth Library, which is open 24 hours a day. At the Students’ Union you’ll find Atmosphere Bar and Kitchen as well as the student-run Shock Radio station, a host of societies and clubs, and our student advice hub, askUS.

Whether you are interested in swimming, going to the gym, playing sport for fun or being part of a competitive team, our very own Sports Centre offers a huge range of opportunities. 

Across our campuses you’ll also find our catering outlets, Salfood, where you can pick up anything from a light bite to a hearty lunch, a Costa coffee or Subway meal.

When somebody goes to university, those who are close to them often play a crucial part in helping make clear, informed decisions about where they will study.

We are committed to supporting everybody throughout this process, and have produced a parents’ guide to address your questions and concerns.

Although we refer to this as a ‘parents’ guide’, this isn’t just aimed at mums and dads. It’s for foster parents, guardians and carers – in fact anyone who is helping somebody to make decisions about higher education.

When you come to university, it’s important to manage your money carefully. Our student support service, askUS, offers information and advice on all aspects of student finance, whether you’re a current or prospective student.

One of the ways you can receive support with student finance is through our bursaries and scholarships scheme. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you can apply for one of four financial support packages to help with the costs of study.

You can find out more about student finance by contacting our course enquires team on or +44 (0)161 295 4545. You can also speak to someone in person at one of our open days or applicant visit days.

Paying your fees

At the University of Salford, the fee for all UK/EU students studying a full-time undergraduate degree is £9,000 a year. The fee for all UK/EU part-time students will vary depending on the number of credits taken each year.

If you are taking out a UK student loan for tuition fees from the Student Loans Company, payments are made by the Student Loans Company directly to the University for you.

If you are paying your tuition fees without a loan, you can pay your fees at any time during the application process. Find out how to pay the University by emailing

What if I’m being sponsored?

If you’re a UK or EU student, please email a copy of your sponsor letter to Alternatively, you can present your letter when you register at the University in person. We will only accept documentation from officially registered sponsors. When submitting your sponsor letter, please also provide your student ID number. Your student ID number is an eight-digit number starting with an @ sign. It is detailed in your offer letter and included in all our communications with you, once you have applied.

Bursaries and scholarships

One of the ways you can receive support with student finance is through our bursaries and scholarships scheme. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you can apply for one of our financial support packages to help with the costs of study.

Help from the Government

You might also qualify for extra financial help from the government. This is available to students on a low income, students with children or dependent adults, disabled students and those receiving NHS funding. Our askUS team can offer more information and advice about the help you might be eligible for. Click here to find out how you can contact them.

Repaying your student loan

You will only repay your student loan once you are earning over a certain amount. You don’t have to arrange repayments; this is done for you. Loan repayments are collected automatically from your pay, once your pay reaches the required amount. If you stop earning, your repayments will stop too. Click on the link to find out more about student loan repayments.

Living costs

While you’re at university, you’ll need to budget for your living costs. You can use our budget calculator to get a better idea of how much money you will need. If you want to boost your funds while studying – and gain some valuable work experience at the same time – our Careers and Employability service can help you find a part-time job.

Funding for EU students

EU students can apply for a tuition fee loan from the UK government. Some EU students can also apply for maintenance funding, depending on how long you or your parents have been working in the UK. If you think that you may be eligible for maintenance funding, please contact our student support team, askUS.

If you are not eligible for maintenance funding, you are expected to have enough income to cover your living costs. In addition to tuition fees, we advise that you budget a minimum of £7,200 for accommodation, food, entertainment, transport, books, insurance and laundry. Depending on your lifestyle, you might require more or less than this. You can calculate your own living costs using the international student calculator

Tuition fees for international students

Tuition fees differ according to your course and fee status. When you apply for a course we will assess your fee status. For international students, fees range from £8,000 – £12,540 for undergraduate courses (including the International Foundation Year). Exact fees for each course can be found in the 'fees and funding' tab on our course pages.  

Cost of living

In addition to course fees, visa regulations now require international students to have a minimum income of £1,015 per month for 9 months or the duration of your course, whichever is shorter. You should have this amount in your bank account at least 28 days before you apply for your visa. Depending on your lifestyle, you might require more than this. You can calculate your own living costs using the international student calculator.

Paying your fees

If you are not a British citizen or a citizen of one the European Economic Area (EEA) countries, you may need an entry clearance certificate before you travel to the UK.

The entry clearance certificate, more commonly called a visa, is placed in your passport or travel document. More detailed information about visas can be found on askUS, our student services site.

It can be difficult to obtain visas from some countries due to high demand, as well as other factors. Because of this, we have introduced an advance fee deposit system for certain countries. This helps applicants from these countries to secure a visa. If you need to pay an advance fee deposit, we will let you know in your offer letter. We will also give you clear instructions on how to make this payment.  

All students are required to pay a deposit of £4,400. We offer students from the US a waiver on this requirement once they have been approved for a US loan. In addition, you will be required to set up a payment plan for five months, beginning the month after your course start date. You will need to have paid 100% of your course fees by month five of this plan. If you are able to pay all of your fees in advance, you’ll receive a prompt payment discount of 3% of the net fee.

What if I’m being sponsored?

Please email a copy of your sponsor letter to Alternatively, you can present your letter when you register in person. We will only accept documentation from officially registered sponsors. When submitting your sponsor letter, please also provide your student ID number.

Scholarships for international students

If you have an excellent academic record, you could qualify for one of our scholarships or bursaries for international students. These include the Vice Chancellor’s Excellence Scholarship and the International Student Bursary.

One of the most important decisions to make about your life as a student is where you are going to live. Whether you’re thinking of staying in University accredited accommodation, living off campus or commuting from home, it’s important to consider your options.

You have two options if you would like to stay in University accredited accommodation, both of which are managed by our accommodation partners, Campus Living Villages. You can choose Peel Park Quarter or John Lester and Eddie Colman Courts. Each of these options offers a wide variety of rooms and flat sizes and are located on, or within a short walk of Peel Park campus.

John Lester and Eddie Colman courts are ideally located if you are studying nursing, healthcare, or any courses based at MediaCityUK. Each self-contained flat includes a shared kitchen and bathroom, and is designed to accommodate two to four people. Facilities include: a games room with pool table; multiple social areas; a large courtyard with a half basketball court; a free on-site gym; a communal kitchen; a library; and a free gated car park. All-inclusive rates start from £88 per week for contracts starting from September 2017.

Peel Park Quarter is our newest on-campus accommodation hosting 1,367 private, en-suite bedrooms and offers luxury student living at an affordable cost. Flats vary in size, housing between four and ten people. Each flat includes a shared kitchen and lounge, and has a range of room sizes to choose from. Facilities include: a games room; multiple social areas; a cinema room; a communal kitchen; a study space; and a free on-site gym. Underground car parking is available at an additional cost. All-inclusive rates start from £121.50 per week for contracts starting from September 2017.

As a resident of John Lester and Eddie Colman Courts or Peel Park Quarter you will be able to take full advantage of Salford Student Village’s ‘village life’ event calendar as well as have the opportunity to travel the world with their ‘Go Explore’ programme – both of which are exclusive and free for all who live in either accommodation.

For more information, to book your room and to see the current all-inclusive rates please see the Salford Student Village website.

Our accommodation partner, Campus Living Villages (CLV), want to make moving into University accommodation as easy and comfortable for you as possible, so they have a higher allocation of flats for first year students. However, this does not guarantee you a room, so we suggest booking your accommodation early to avoid disappointment. If you do not achieve the grades you were hoping for, or cannot obtain a visa and can no longer attend the University of Salford, just let CLV know in writing within seven days of receiving your results or visa decision, and you will get a full refund of any payments you have made to secure a room.

Applications for accommodation are now open! All bookings should be made online via CLV’s website. Once on the site, you will need to follow this easy step-by-step process:

  • Register
  • Pick the contract length that suits your course
  • Choose your room
  • Sign your license agreement
  • Make the required payments to secure your booking

The latest date you can apply for accommodation is 1 September 2017.

If you have any specific requirements for your accommodation (be they medical, religious or single sex preferences), all you need to do is let CLV know and they will do their best to cater to your needs.

If you have a disability or need specific access requirements at your accommodation site, you can choose accessible flats at both John Lester and Eddie Colman Courts, and Peel Park Quarter. If you contact CLV, they will give you more information about the best room for your needs.  

If selecting a suitable room presents additional costs to you, please contact your local council to find out what financial support may be available.

Greater Manchester has one of the largest student populations in Europe and offers a variety of accommodation at different price points. The housing market gets very busy in September and October so we recommend looking for somewhere to live and securing your accommodation early. We also advise that you don’t sign a contract or pay any money until you have visited the property.

If you’re only able to look for somewhere to live just before the academic year begins, try to allow some time before your course starts and book a hotel or hostel to stay in while you are viewing properties. You can access a list of nearby hotels and hostels, here.

An organisation called Manchester Student Homes can help you find safe, secure and legal student housing. All of the landlords listed with Manchester Student Homes are accredited, and the service can also help you with free, independent housing advice.

If you are thinking of commuting to university from home, our campus is easily accessible no matter how you are travelling. We are located a mile and a half away from Manchester city centre on a major bus route with services running every few minutes. Salford Crescent train station is situated at the heart of Peel Park campus, and we also have car-parking facilities.

Students based at MediaCityUK can catch the 50 bus for free from Peel Park campus. There is also a regular tram service running from Manchester Piccadilly to MediaCityUK.

If you’d like to get more information about student accommodation, you can speak to Campus Living Villages, who provide our onsite accommodation. You can contact them on Alternatively, you can call +44 (0)161 669 5750 if you’d like more information about John Lester and Eddie Colman Courts, and +44 (0)161 667 5010 for details about Peel Park Quarter.

Disabled students make up 15% of our student population and we’re proud to offer an accessible and inclusive support service. Click on the link to find out more about the support you could receive, or contact one of our helpful advisors on or +44 (0)161 295 9000.

Visas and CAS

If you need a Tier 4 visa to study a full-time course at the University of Salford, please read our FAQs about obtaining this visa. You should use the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number provided by our admissions team to apply for your visa as early as possible.

The CAS number can only be issued a maximum of four months before your course start date and you can only make your visa application a maximum of three months before your course start date. To find out what is needed for a CAS number, please take a look at our FAQs.

Funding and visa refusals

In order to apply successfully for a student visa/entry clearance, visa regulations now require international students to have a minimum income of £1015 per month for 9 months or the duration of your course, whichever is shorter. You should have this amount in your bank account at least 28 days before you apply for your visa.

UK Visas and Immigration have strict requirements about the evidence they will accept that shows this. In most cases of visas being refused, the applicant has not provided the right evidence to prove that they have sufficient funds. In order to avoid a visa refusal, please read the UK government’s advice on applying for a tier 4 visa.

You can also find helpful information on our immigration and visas webpage, and you can contact our international team on

To get the most out of your course at the University of Salford, you will need to have a good level of written and spoken English. If English is not your first language, you may need to demonstrate your language skills by taking a recognised English language test such as IELTS. For details of other English language tests and qualifications we accept, take a look at our English Language Requirements.

If you don’t yet have the level of English language required, our languages centre offers a number of British Council-accredited courses. Find out more on the Salford Languages website.

If you have met the language criteria for your course but would like improve your academic English, you can sign up to one of our English for Academic Purposes courses. These courses are free of charge and are open to all Salford students.