Skip to main content


When you come to university, it’s important to manage your money carefully. Our student support service, askUS, offers information and advice on all aspects of student finance, whether you’re a current or prospective student.  

You can find out more about student finance by contacting our course enquiries team on or +44 (0)161 295 4545.

All full-time undergraduate degree courses at the University of Salford are £9,250 per year for UK/EU students starting their course in September 2018 or January 2019 (with the possibility of slight increases for subsequent years of study). Courses with a foundation year as the first year of study may have a reduced tuition fee for the duration of the foundation year of study only – this information can be checked online which is always the most up to date source of information on fees and funding. Course fees are on our course finder pages and money advice and guidance is on our money matters pages.

Applications for student finance will open in the spring, usually towards the end of February. We’ll let you know when applications open. Tuition fee loans are provided by the Student Loans Company and applications are made to Student Finance England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland as appropriate. To guarantee that your funding is in place by the time you start your course, you should apply before the end of May 2018. If you’re a student from outside the UK you can find a handy guide to applying for student finance on the Student Room.

If you have any queries about your eligibility for student finance, you should check this with the relevant funding body as appropriate. We do not make decisions about eligibility for loans; the decision lies with the funding body directly.

If you’re not paying your tuition fees via loan, or for more detailed information on student finance, visit our askUS finance page here.

The other major cost at university is living costs – this includes accommodation, utilities, travel, food, stationery and any course materials. If there are costs associated with your particular course of study this will be outlined on our course finder pages.

To support with meeting these costs, you’re entitled to apply for a maintenance loan. This is a means-tested loan and will take a number of factors into consideration including:

  • Household income – this means the total gross income of the students’ parent(s), caregivers or spouse living in the household where the student lives;  
  • Living arrangements – students living away from home are entitled to a higher maintenance loan than those staying in the family home;
  • Students with a dependent child(ren) or spouse may also be entitled to extra funding to support them such as a Childcare Grant, Parents Learning Allowance or an Adult Dependants’ Grant.

There are other factors taken into account but these are the major ones. There is a handy calculator on the Student Finance website which you can use to check eligibility for student loans.

You apply for your maintenance loan at the same time as your tuition fee loan and it is paid directly into your bank account in three instalments. The first instalment will be paid once your attendance at University has been confirmed – we use the date you collected your ID card as the confirmation  of attendance and it can take three to five working days after this before the monies are released.

Some basic budgeting skills will be important for all students. You’ll find a wealth of information online to support with this and we’ve created a guide to living costs at Salford  too.

The Student Room is an excellent resource for applicants covering information on a wide range of topics. The Money Saving Expert website also has a dedicated page for students including budget planners, money saving tips, student bank accounts and discounts and deals for students.

If you have any further questions about finance at University, contact our course enquiries team on 0161 295 4545 or

All new UK and EU undergraduate students who are joining us from September 2018 into the first year of a degree/foundation year will be eligible to receive £150 to get you started on your studies. The money will be made available to registered students in October (exact date to be confirmed)* in the form of credit at an online store, and can be spent on items like text books, electronics or stationery. This scheme will run annually, meaning you’ll receive £150 of credits each year of your undergraduate degree if based here on campus.

For students from low-income backgrounds and living in areas where participation in higher education is low, there will also be the opportunity to receive an additional £350 of credits, bringing the total to £500 each year. This will be based on your personal circumstances and will be assessed at the point of registering as a student here in September.

Students do not need to apply for this award and further information on eligibility and full terms and conditions will be made available shortly.

*If you’re starting your studies in January we expect that you will receive the credits in February, again the exact date is to be confirmed.

We have introduced a new financial support scheme for undergraduate students joining us from September 2018; see the above section for more details. 

The following external scholarships and bursaries are available for undergraduate students starting programmes in 2018.

Architecture, civil engineering and construction

Construction insurance specialist CRL is offering 10 high-performing students of civil engineering, construction and architecture programmes the chance to win a £1,000 scholarship. For the full information on how to apply, visit CRL

Care Leavers’ Bursary  

Care leavers from the UK who are studying an undergraduate degree will be eligible for an annual bursary of £1,000 from September 2018. This  will be paid in two instalments of £500, the first in October and the second in April. To find out more, including full eligibility, please contact our askUS team on 0161 295 0023.