University of Salford Manchester

Student Finance

No one should be put off studying for a degree because of the costs. There is funding available and no need to pay any money upfront.

How much does it cost to go to university?

The main outgoings that students usually need to pay for are tuition fees and living costs. There are three ways by which students can pay tuition fees:

  • By taking out a tuition fee loan
  • By paying themselves or arranging for someone else to pay them  
  • By sponsorship from an employer or other official agency  

Students who take out a tuition fee loan will have their fees paid to the University automatically by the Student Loans Company. Students don't have to pay this back until they have finished studying and are earning at least £21,000 a year.

What else will my son or daughter need to pay for at university?

Living costs can vary enormously when at university. These include accommodation, food, travel, study equipment, socialising and entertainment.

Many students apply to the Student Loans Company for a maintenance loan to cover these costs. Up to £8,200 is available is a student lives away from home or a maximum of £6,904 if they stay at home.

There's also extra support for those with specific circumstances, for example, students with a disability, including a mental-health condition or specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia or dyspraxia. 

Is it different for healthcare courses?

Yes, students on certain healthcare courses will have their tuition fees paid for by the NHS and will not need to take out a student loan to cover this. They may also qualify for a means-tested NHS bursary. 

How do we apply for student loans and assistance with living costs?

Your son or daughter will need to complete the an online application to student Finance England. You will need to provide evidence of your household income which will determine the financial support available to your son or daughter.

Students studying NHS funded courses and Social Work Studies will need to apply to the NHS Business Services Authority for funding.

Regardless of who the provider is, it is important to apply as early as possible to ensure funding is in place for the start of term.

Will my son or daughter have enough money to live on?

A calculator to estimate what your son or daughter may be eligible for is available online here.

At Salford we also offer a range of scholarships and bursaries which are free sums of cash to help students that don't have to be paid back.

Support is available to help your son or daughter learn to budget and manage their money, our money saving tips are available online here.

In addition, many students now supplement their income by working part time and our Careers and Employability Service can help students find a job both on and off campus.

No student should have to leave university because of financial hardship. The Salford Support Fund is provided by the University as is used, in line with national guidance, to assisit students who are experiencing financial difficulties.

Remember if your son or daughter chooses to study at Salford they will find that being based in the North, living costs are significantly cheaper than in some parts of the country.