Date published: February 01, 2017
Stay safe this semester
With many of you back in your accommodation and attending lectures again, we wanted to share a few safety tips with you – especially with many of you receiving Christmas presents over the festive period.
While we have reduced crime on our campus by 71% in the last four years, making it one of the safest in the country, we advise you to act as you would in any metropolitan area. Here are some tips on how you can do just that:
- Be aware of tailgating. If someone tries to follow you into your accommodation, check that they are a resident. It may seem strange, but you wouldn’t let someone into your family home without asking who they are.
- Do not leave windows open when you leave the accommodation. It’s surprising how easy it is for someone to reach their hand in and snatch your brand new laptop, with all your work on it!
- If you’re parking your bike on campus, ensure that you use a d-lock to secure it. There have been cycle thefts on campus, usually when another type of lock is used that doesn’t quite cut the mustard!
- Keep your valuables out of sight, both when you’re outside and in the house. Leaving a laptop in display in your bedroom window could be costly.
- If you choose to go home by Taxi then ONLY get into a proper licensed Hackney Carriage from a taxi rank, or into the private taxi you booked on the phone – this is the only way you can be sure of who you’re riding with.
- Try to travel with friends if possible – it will help keep you safe and help half the taxi fare. The last thing to do is to count your friends in and out of the taxi. You’re all safer as a group, and by sticking together you can make sure that you all get home safe.
- As well as the 24/7 security staff at Salford Student Village, who can be contacted via reception, the university has a security team in the Maxwell building who always welcome visits from yourselves and give out free personal safety packs. You can ask for the Security Team at Maxwell reception during office hours (Monday-Friday, 9.00am-5.00pm), or go via the intercom, which can be found in the Maxwell Well under the Maxwell building on the right-hand side, outside of normal hours. There is always someone to help you 24hrs/365. The safety packs are also available from the main askUS reception desks.
- The Sports Centre sell personal safety items on behalf of the security team at a fraction of the cost you’d usually pay. Visit the shop and you can get a gold standard cycle lock for just £15 and a hi-visibility jacket for £3.
- At Salford Student Village, you’re welcome to have up to two guests stay over but you must sign them in at reception. Also, make sure you trust your guests and that you let your roommate know they’re staying over – it’s only fair.
- If you’re an international student, we advise you to take out contents insurance. This ensures your valuable items, such as laptops and mobile phones, are ensured against theft.
Finally, have a fantastic second semester.