Date published: September 22, 2017
Settle Into Your Life at Salford
Now #WelcomeHome has finished, this is a good time to start thinking about how you can settle into your life at Salford.
Moving to University means that you automatically no longer have your home comforts, your usual support networks and friends, so settling in can seem hard at first.
It's completely normal to feel homesick, and although you're probably thinking that you're the only person feeling this way, that's not true - homesickness affects lots of people, even those who look like they're having the most awesome time.
The 'Wellbeing Team’ would like to give you their top tips on how to settle into your life at Salford. Read them below:
- Our main tip would be to not overwhelm yourself with worries about settling in, or worries about achieving perfectionism in your academic work - when the dust settles things actually become a lot more manageable. Your Course timetable can be found here.
- You should also try and make your room your own. While you won't be able to have all of your home comforts, it's still a good idea to have some pictures of your family or college friends dotted around your new room. This is your personal space, so make it yours.
- This one might sound obvious, but it is a good idea to get to know your new area. Whether that's the nearest shop, supermarket or a cafe, it will give you a boost if you know where to go.
- Join a one of many student led societies or sports group through the students union, it’s a good way to get involved and meet new people.
- Make sure you have a doctor while you are here, you can registered with our medical centre. It’s a very quick and easy process – all you need to do is visit the third floor of the Maxwell building and our staff will help you sign up.
The Wellbeing Team
If you’re finding it harder to settle in than you expected, there are services to help you. We are here to help you with any worries, and offer some more advice on how to settle into your life at Salford. To book an appointment with us please click on the following link to complete our self- referral form through advantage or please call 0161 295 7008 or email email@example.com.