Skip to main content


Why was I not paid as soon as I submitted my expenses claim?

You may have just missed the deadline for receipt of claims, which is the 8th of the month. You will therefore receive it at the end of the following month.

Why have I not received payment for my fees?

We are waiting to receive the supporting documentation from the School that you are an External Examiner for. It will also depend on the date that the Finance Department receive the paperwork for processing.

Where can I get an F3 expenses claim form from?

You can print one from the website here.

Why have I only received XX number of pounds when I submitted a claim for expenses of XXXX number of pounds?

We do not reimburse for alcohol, newspapers etc. so this may have been deducted from the claim. There are also maximum amounts that can be claimed for items (e.g. hotel accommodation, meals etc). The maximum amounts payable are listed on the expenses claim form.

I usually stay with a friend and take him/her a gift for putting me up and this means that I am out of pocket - can I claim any kind of expenses?

No.  HMRC rules do not allow reimbursement for this type of expense.

My money has been paid into the wrong bank account. How has this happened?

We use the information taken from the latest bank authority form that you have submitted. If this has changed you need to let us know. Please email the details to us and we will ask Finance to look into it for you.

I have changed my bank account - what should I do?

You should complete a new Bank Authority Form and send it to us as soon as possible.

I have paid too much tax - what should I do?

You should contact the Salaries and Wages section of the Finance Department.

Can I be paid by cheque?

No, all payments must be made into a bank account.

I have my own company - can you pay into my company bank account?

Normally all payments must be made into your own bank account. However if you own your own company we may be able to set you up as a supplier of services to the University of Salford and pay you on production of an invoice which must show a University of Salford Purchase Order Number.

Why do you need my date of birth, nationality details etc on the bank authority form?

This is required by the Inland Revenue and our Finance Department in order to process your claim.

I have only received X number of pounds for fees but was expecting XXXXX number of pounds. Why is there a difference?

We calculate fees according to the information given to us by the School you are an external examiner for (i.e. credit-rating of a module and how many students are on a module). If you e-mail your query to, we can ask the School to double-check the information that they have given to us.

What paperwork do I need to submit to apply to be an external examiner?

You need to complete an External Examiner Application Form and send it to your School contact.  If you do not have a School contact, please send this to the School Operations Manager.

Why do I need to provide proof that I can work in the UK? 

Your appointment as an External Examiner is subject to the University receiving evidence of your right to work in the UK.  The UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) requires that all organisations obtain proof of the right to work in the UK for every individual who carries out work for them. Therefore we request that you provide this evidence to ensure compliance with legal requirements.