The Academic Standards and Quality Assurance Committee is responsible on behalf of Senate for policies, procedures, regulations and frameworks relating to:
- academic quality assurance and management
- academic standards and the design and management of the curriculum
- the admission of students
in relation to all taught programmes (undergraduate and postgraduate) leading to University awards or credit, including those involving collaboration with partner organisations, and pre-sessional English programmes.
Terms of Reference:
- To determine policy governing the admission of students, including general entry requirements and the recognition of prior learning and to oversee the approach to assuring the completeness, accuracy and reliability of information provided for applicants and students.
- To determine and keep under review the approach to the curriculum framework, the academic year and all associated academic regulations and procedures.
- To determine and oversee arrangements for the approval, amendment, review and withdrawal of taught provision, including programmes involving collaboration with partner organisations.
- To determine and oversee operation of effective arrangements for monitoring and assuring the quality and standards of all taught provision, including that involving partner organisations.
- To determine and oversee arrangements for the assessment of students, including Boards of Examiners, External Examining, invigilation and moderation.
- To guide and oversee preparations for relevant external reviews and engagements and to advise the Senate on the University’s response.
- To monitor the effectiveness of the processes for accreditation of programmes by PSRBs.
- To be responsible for the Academic Audit process.
- To consider and report to Senate on such matters as may be referred to the Committee.
- ASQAC will make recommendations to the Senate on the approval of any new award to be offered by the University, and;
- The approval of any major new policy in relation to academic standards and quality assurance
Ex officio (1)
Deputy Vice Chancellor (Chair) 1
Representatives from each School nominated by the Dean of School 2 per School
Student nominees of the Students’ Union Trustee Board 2
Staff elected by and from the academic staff 2
Members of staff co-opted by the Committee
Head of Quality and Enhancement 1
Deputy Director of Academic Business Development Office 1
International Partnerships Manager 1
Representative from Salford Languages 1
Serviced by the Quality and Enhancement Office
Frequency of Meetings:
At least three times per year.
Academic Audit Sub-Committee
Academic Regulations Sub-Committee (reporting also to REC for postgraduate research degree regulations)
Collaborative Provision and Partnerships Sub-Committee
Programme Approval and Review Panel
School Quality and Student Experience Committees (reporting also to SELTEC for student experience matters)
The Manchester College Accreditation Sub-Committee
Blackpool and the Fylde College Accreditation Sub-Committee