Tissue Viability - Single module
Level 7 (30 credits)
School - School of Health and Society
Subject area - Nursing
Start Date(s): September; February
2019-20 fees will be displayed shortly.
Part-time - £1,260 per 30 credit module (Home/EU); £2,310 per 30 credit module (International)
- You will be able to critically review and apply relevant concepts and knowledge of care that underpins excellence in care delivery within the speciality of tissue viability
- You will be able to build upon your knowledge and skills to enable a critical overview of tissue viability practice and equip you to critically evaluate issues related to tissue viability
- You will be able to critically apply theory and practice in the management and care of patients in tissue viability
- Part-time study option
- International students can apply
Using key lectures, seminars and simulated skills sessions you will explore:
- Anatomy and physiology of the skin including stages and phases of wound healing, acute, and chronic wound healing.
- Holistic nursing assessment including wound bed preparation and evidence based frameworks, tools, and diagnostics investigations.
- History of wound healing and the impact it has had on current tissue viability practices.
- Principles of asepsis, wound cleansing techniques, wound infection diagnostics, and restoring wound bed bacterial balance.
- Wound assessment including wound aetiology, morphology, contamination, tissue type, etc.
- Interpretation of data in dressing choice and decision making processes.
- Exploration of the current evidence in pressure ulcer management in relation to pressure redistribution.
- Product selection – mattresses, beds, and chairs used in the 24 hour management of pressure ulcer prevention and management.
- Exploration of the political and social influences of wound care management.
- Evaluation of the professional, legal, and ethical issues of current wound care practice.
- The nurse’s role in the interdisciplinary wound management team, in providing holistic care for the patient requiring tissue viability management.
You can take this course as a single module for continuing professional development purposes or as part of a BSc or MSc.