The Salford MBA
School - Salford Business School
Subject area - Business and Management
Start Dates(s): September; January; June
MBA (one year full-time)
The Salford MBA can also be studied on a part-time basis as the Salford Executive MBA.
UK - £17,550
International - £17,550
- Fully accredited by the Association of MBAs (AMBA) – one of only 43 in UK and 2% of Universities world-wide
- Small cohort sizes provide a supportive and collaborative learning environment
- The course is block delivered and there are three entry points per year.
- International students can apply
The Salford MBA (Master of Business Administration) is our flagship programme, a fully AMBA accredited degree that concentrates on developing the wide ranging leadership and business management skills that you need to thrive at a senior level, whatever sector you work in. The AMBA accreditation is your guarantee of the quality of the programme, the teaching and the outcomes.
Studying on the Salford MBA programme means you are part of a small student cohort who work together in a supportive and collaborative environment where academics and students share their learning and build their knowledge.
The programme offers four pathways so you can follow your area of specialist interest: Strategic Leadership, Digital Business, Sports Business and Executive Education Leadership.
Taught in four modules plus a work-based project, the MBA is delivered in a blended format. You will study three core modules then follow the specialist module for the MBA pathway you have chosen. For each of the four modules, you will spend six blocks of two days at Salford Business School. In addition, there are out-of-the-classroom activities such as company visits and guest speakers with project work to be completed in your own time. International students should note that UKVI regulations may require additional attendance; please contact us (Julie Kelly, firstname.lastname@example.org) to check the latest information.
You’ll finish your year with a 3-month consultancy project based around an issue within either your own or another organisation.
You will draw on your previous management experience to join in discussion with tutors and fellow students, then use the scholarship and research to reflect your learning back into the workplace. Our broad range of modules and unique business partnerships make this programme an ideal option for ambitious executives who are seeking to improve their knowledge across a full range of advanced skill sets.
The Strategic Leadership Pathway is our generalist career development programme aimed at motivated professionals who wish to broaden their business knowledge and reach for a senior position.
The Digital Business Pathway addresses the increasing demand for digitally-savvy business executives who have the strategic skills that facilitate informed decision-making in the face of a rapidly changing technological and economic landscape.
The Sports Business Pathway has been developed by the University’s respected Centre for Sports Business. It is aimed at executives who aspire to work at the highest levels in the sports industry and takes advantage of the University’s position at the heart of the North West. The School has a number of exceptional partnerships with organisations who open sport beyond existing limits. In addition, BBC Sport is a neighbour of the University at MediaCityUK and two of the biggest brands in world football – Manchester United and Manchester City – are on our doorstep.
The Executive Education Leadership Pathway has been designed to equip experienced education managers with the knowledge and skills required to lead a modern academy or group of academies. Building on the Postgraduate Certificate in Executive Education Leadership, the programme will provide you with an understanding of operational and marketing issues that education managers face within the changing education environment.
"The Salford MBA has completely changed my way of thinking and attitude towards work. It has provided me with a new insight into how to view and run a business from top to bottom and to appreciate all aspects of it."Basil Mohammed, MBA, 2015
The course is block delivered and there are three entry points per year. You will study the first three modules below in a sequence depending on your start date then finish with the final Business Innovation Live Project when you will put what you've learned into practice .
- Evaluation of microeconomic theory and understanding of the macro-environment.
- Critical analysis of financial data and the impact of financial decision making on stakeholders.
- Evaluation of the principles and practice of financial management.
- Evaluation of existing ideas and themes in the broader field of marketing.
- The synergies between marketing and operations management in order to evaluate critically, the most contemporary frameworks for effective working.
- Analysis of the alternative methods and techniques for marketing and operations in manufacturing, service and international settings.
- Evaluation of theory, behaviour, people management and leadership within an organisational context.
- Critical appraisal of decision making and change management in diverse, complex and multicultural stakeholder contexts.
- Development of evidence-based critical thinking.
You will then choose one of the following modules dependent on the pathway you have chosen
This module covers:
- Evaluation of strategic choice framework for successful change.
- Review of leadership principles in a range of organisations and demonstration of leadership skills through reflective analysis.
- Identification and evaluation of the issues that impactstrategic decision making.
This module covers:
- Examination of current and future trends, including innovative and disruptive technologyies, and how these help to deliver competetive advantages in digital business.
- Analysis of the inter-relationships that exist between multiple stakeholders and digital communication approaches in national and international markets.
- Awareness of complex business situations and how to apply informed decision making.
This module covers:
- Development of management capabilities in the global sports business environment.
- Understanding and articulating key issues contributing to the effective operation of sports business organisations.
- Utilising sports business analytics as a tool for improved decision making.
You will finish your programme with the unique Business Innovation Live Project (BILP)
This module enables students to:
- Undertake a rigorous and critical business project either in the UK or overseas.
- Understand and apply theory and practice to business/organisational issues by using appropriate research and problem solving processes.
- Develop and demonstrate critical analysis, rigorous enquiry, clear expression, independent judgement and reflection using relevant theory.