Science Communication and Future Media
School - School of Environment & Life Sciences
Subject area - Biomedical Science
Start Date(s): September; January
Three years part-time distance learning
2019-20 fees will be displayed shortly.
Distance Learning - £630 per 15 credit module £5,040 in total
- Enjoy excellent job prospects in the growing field of science communication
- This course is delivered in partnership with industry giving you the opportunity to tap into world-class professional networks
- Access to state of the art MediaCityUK facilities during the course residential
- A part-time only course
- Based at MediaCityUK
- International students can apply
A new generation of science communicators are in demand to work across and within the cultural, digital, health, environmental industries and higher education sector.
Science communication now embraces groundbreaking scientists, artists, games developers, creative technologists, curators, social entrepreneurs, environmental and health policymakers and citizen scientists.
This course bridges the creative science communication skills gap in an era where digital literacy, critical thinking and creative innovation make professionals stand out from the crowd.
Designed with this next generation of collaborative pioneers in mind, this course will kick start and accelerate your career, build your global network and support you as you develop your portfolio.
You will critique the ethical challenges that new communication systems pose whilst considering global challenges around health, wellbeing, equality and sustainability as intrinsic to your practice.
You will gain practical and transferable skills informed by theory, a creative portfolio and access to world-class networks to advance your career.
‘The course helps us to expand our abilities to communicate science online in more engaging ways. I’ve also been working collaboratively with scientists to develop creative ways of communicating science through immersive experiences. I now spent more time talking to scientists and I’m building my network and connecting with scicomm practitioners with different practices. I’m currently working on an immersive experience coming to MediaCity soon and the course has been useful in helping me think that through’.
Damon Reid, Creative Technologist, Media City
Take a look at our Scicomm community hereFollow us on twitter
The course is delivered through distance learning, collaborative tasks, a creative portfolio and a final project. The blended learning option includes two residentials.
Each trimester includes two, 15 credit modules, run sequentially, with one group task and one individual assignment per module.
Each 15 credit module comprises 21 hours of online learning materials, 10 hours of webinars and 109 hours of independent study.
- Course content reflects and connects your needs with industry trends
- Digital skills and emerging technologies focus
- Become part of a global learning community
- Connectivity and access to world-class facilities
- Co-delivery with industry practitioners
- Learn alongside cutting edge researcher-practitioners
- Secure a global competitive edge and excellent employment prospects
- Gain real world, practical and problem solving experience
- Create a portfolio to showcase and help secure future work
- Access to a national and international peer and industry network