Science Communication and Future Media
School - School of Environment & Life Sciences
Subject area - Biomedical Science
Start Dates(s): September
Three years part-time distance learning
Part-time - £3,690 per year- note there is no fee for the final 3rd year
- Enjoy excellent job prospects in the growing field of science communication
- This course is delivered in partnership with industry giving you the opportunity to tap into world-class professional networks
- Access to state of the art MediaCityUK facilities during the course residential
- Part-time study option
- Based at MediaCityUK
- International students can apply
Over the last 25 years, science communication has expanded from a field of public intellectuals, celebrity scientists, broadcast media professionals and event producers to include groundbreaking artists, games developers, disruptive creators, radical curators, social entrepreneurs and citizen scientists. Developed in partnership with industry, this part-time, distance learning course will provide you with the knowledge and skills required to take advantage of excellent job prospects in this growing field.
Studying this MSc will provide you with the opportunity to accelerate your career and become part of a global network pushing the boundaries of science communication through new and emerging technologies. You will gain practical and transferable skills informed by theory, a creative portfolio and access to world-class professional networks to progress your career in science communication. You will become mindful of the ethical challenges that new communication systems might pose to achieving sustainable development goals for health and wellbeing, gender equality and sustainable communities.
Through a selection of specifically designed modules, you will learn about the importance of involving the public in the co creation of scientific knowledge, explore the increasing trend of science festivals as well as the art and science of digital storytelling strategies for communicating science. Additionally, you will explore how science writing and journalism has changed in a digital era, and focus on contemporary matters of global concern in science communication.
Science communication is an expanding field, and as such there are many exciting career prospects working in science journalism, public engagement, events production, science publishing and within the media, to name a few. Our academics have strong networks in the field, and as the course is delivered in collaboration with industry experts and professional science communicators, you can be sure that the skills and knowledge you gain will ensure that you are best placed to forge a successful career in the field. This course aims to bridge the #scicomm digital skills gap in an era where digital literacy, critical thinking and creative innovation make professionals stand out from the crowd.
We have a great student and staff science communication community engaged in a range of events that we have run:
"I had the opportunity to collaborate with staff and other students on two fantastic science festival events – Amorance and Mushroom Hack – which got the public involved in doing science with us. I discovered how the communication of science can be part of daily life and incredibly creative and fun"
Third year undergraduate student
Take a look at our Scicomm community here
This science communication masters focuses on the areas of communication, media management, public engagement, emerging technologies, global challenges, digital literacy and creative practice.
- Course content reflects and connects your needs with industry trends
- Digital skills and emerging technologies focus
- Become part of a global learning community
- Connectivity and access to world-class facilities
- Co-delivery with industry practitioners
- Learn alongside cutting edge researcher-practitioners
- Secure a global competitive edge and excellent employment prospects
- Gain real world, practical and problem solving experience
- Create a portfolio to showcase and help secure future work
- Access to a national and international peer and industry network