Leading Education for Health and Social Care Reform
School - School of Health and Society
Subject area - Nursing
Start Dates(s): September; February
Part-time - £1,230 per 30 credit module
UK - £7,380
International - £13,500
- Develop yourself within three areas: education; leadership; and service improvement, transformation and reform
- Support your career progression within the field of educational leadership (NMC Practice Teacher, Teacher and Stage 1 Practice Educator (The College of Social Work)
- Advance your personal growth as a leader of education so that you can deliver excellent health and social care now and in the future
- A part-time only course
What is becoming increasingly apparent is the correlation between the highly skilled health and social care workforce that has the right skills, behaviours and education, and the delivery of excellent health and social care and an ability to transform services. There is clear recognition of how the educated workforce can effectively contribute towards the transformation of services and support the implementation of health and social care reform.
This UK and internationally dynamic course is aimed at all professionals including allied health professionals, health care scientists, nurses, midwives, doctors, and social workers who want to develop the knowledge, skills, qualities and behaviours to be effective leaders of health and social care education. The course combines education, leadership and service improvement and reform.
By the end of the course you will be able to: horizon scan and undertake educational leadership roles within a changing and complex health and social care environment; base your education and leadership practices on sound research and evidence based practice; lead an education based project for the benefit of service user and or service improvements; and advance your personal growth and self- belief as a leader of health and social care education. You will learn the skills to empower yourself and others to deliver health and social care reform and transformation through the leadership of health and social care education. You will develop in confidence and have the ability to try new and creative approaches to the work place, deal with complex educational leadership situations and provide effective educational /service outcomes.
The strength of the course is that it can be attended on a full or part-time basis and there are options for you to use credits from any existing postgraduate educational studies (NMC Stage 3 Practice Teacher and Stage 4 Teacher Award) towards the masters programme.
This Masters course will provide you with real opportunities to develop your educational leadership skills and confidence for the benefit of practice; service; workforce development and themselves personally, professionally and academically. The strength of this course lies in its application to practice enabling you to apply new knowledge and skills to work. The range of knowledge, skills and attitudes required of an effective leader of health and social care education have been carefully developed into specialist modules.
You will be supported by an experienced leadership mentor who will help you analyse, reflect upon and develop as an educational leader. Your development will be targeted and evidenced against a recognised leadership quality framework and other educational frameworks such as NMC Practice Teacher (as applicable). We will also develop your skills of evidence based practice including searching for, appraising, implementing and evaluating the evidence. For added value, the course also offers master classes, giving you the opportunity to further explore and develop the knowledge, skills and qualities required to effectively lead within an education context.
If you want to implement education focused quality improvements that are locally led, patient-centred and clinically driven, this course will help you:
- Explore the challenges and opportunities to influence educational policy that impacts on patient and service outcomes
- Understand yourself as a leader of education and to enhance your knowledge, skills and qualities
- Develop the skills to manage an education focused change in complex and changing health care settings
- Develop project management skills and implement an education focused change management project
- Critically examine the theory, research base and impact of the drivers for health and social care reform on leading practice education
- Identify a clear theory and/or research base in the design of practice learning, teaching and assessment
- Critically apply the theoretical underpinning to leading classroom based or academic learning
- Lead and facilitate learning within a professional and inter-professional learning and working environment
- Enable change and service improvement through educational leadership
- Develop the skills to manage change in a complex and changing health and social care setting
- Develop project management skills for an individually defined educational project
- Construct a business case which effectively justifies the need for a specific project within the student’s organisation and supports long term capability of those that it effects