CEO of a Sports Organisation
School - Salford Business School
Subject area - Business and Management
Start Date(s): September
MBA: two years part-time (Home/EU students only)
PgDip: two years part-time (International non-Tier 4 students only)
PgCert: one year part-time (International non-Tier 4 students only)
- Develop the essential skills and knowledge required for the role of CEO of a sports organisation
- Includes guest lectures from leading speakers from the worlds of business and sport
- Delivered in a blended format which allows you to fit your studies around your career. International students who require a visa should apply for a PgCert using a Short-term Study Visa.
- A part-time only course
- International students can apply
In the world of sport, the position of Chief Executive has never been as critical or as high-profile.
Managing huge financial growth, increasing corporate governance responsibilities and the demands of challenging stakeholders, chief executives need advanced skills and knowledge to succeed in this challenging but immensely exciting industry.
VSI Executive Education, the team behind the world’s first MSc in Sports Directorship, has responded to market demand and developed a programme that creates a professional role for CEOs across sport and provides leaders with the knowledge, understanding and skills to succeed in one of the most demanding positions in the sports industry.
At Salford Business School, we’re proud to work in collaboration with VSI Executive Education on this innovative programme. Studying for an MBA CEO of a Sports Organisation means that you will benefit from the specialist knowledge of our academics, the cutting edge research from our Centre for Sports Business and the relationships we maintain with our industry partners worldwide.
This is a closed programme. For all enquiries, please contact:
Call: 0345 45 99 765
Whether it’s in football, cricket, Formula One or athletics, the role of CEO entails being ultimately responsible for all day-to-day management decisions as well as the implementation of the organisation’s long and short-term plans.
Often, even the most talented and innovative athletes, coaches and managers lack the formal strategic and leadership skills to operate successfully in such a challenging environment. Whilst traditional business and management programmes are beneficial, the challenges faced by the Chief Executives of sporting organisations differ greatly from those faced by CEOs in other industries.
Covering leadership, strategic planning, operational management, commercialisation, marketing and communications, this programme not only accredits you with an MBA, it provides unrivalled preparation for the role of CEO of a sports organisation.
Delivered both remotely and on-campus at Salford, the MBA CEO of a Sports Organisation fits around your busy schedule, whilst allowing you to benefit from specialist tuition and a series of industry guests.
The need for innovative, highly educated and ambitious individuals has never been greater in the world of sport. Embark on the MBA CEO of a Sports Organisation and develop the skills and knowledge you need to excel.
This module will enable you to enhance and develop your knowledge and skills in relation to the critical appraisal of financial decisions and their impact upon various stakeholders of an organisation.Learning Outcomes
- Apply and evaluate microeconomic theory to show how individuals and firms make decisions and assess critically how they respond to changes in factors such as prices, income, uncertainty and government policy
- Identify the macro-environmental forces impacting on strategic decision-making across a range of organisations
- Explain and evaluate the purpose, nature and uses of accounting information and financial statements
- Identify the major classes of financial risks that businesses face and evaluate critically the practical significance of financial management practice
- Evaluate critically different stakeholders’ perceptions of sustainability and ethics and how these impact on business performance.
This module will give you a critical understanding of operations management and the role of operations manager. It will also enable you to critically evaluate and apply contemporary frameworks with regard to practical marketing within operational contexts.Learning Outcomes
- Understand and critique the latest ideas and themes in the field of marketing and operations theory and practice
- Effectively apply analytical frameworks in the field of marketing and operations that inform existing practices
- Assess and critically discuss the contrasting views that scholars and practitioners advocate for the management of marketing and the management of operations and its impact to organisational success
- Collect and analyse secondary data, draw conclusions from that data and present findings in the context of published research and within practitioner environments
- Critically assess definitions and concepts for measuring organisational performance through management frameworks and structures.
This module will enable you to critically evaluate creative leadership styles in diverse, complex and multicultural contexts. It will also enable you to evaluate critically the nature of power, governance, negotiation, and decision making in local and global circumstances, as well as appraise strategic people management practices.Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate how to organise and renew strategic purpose in complex, constantly changing local and global circumstances using personal autonomy
- Evidence the engagement of people, working in groups and project teams in order to implement strategic purpose using leadership skills
- Evaluate how to engage people in continuous learning in order to enable the capacity to adapt to change in the external market and to initiate change
- Effective communication of flexible configuration and reconfiguration of action practices
- Be able to develop creative and critical reflective practitioner capabilities relevant to leadership of an enterprise (institutional and executive leadership) and in an enterprise (operational and frontline leadership).
This module will enable you to develop an understanding of the social, economic and legal systems that govern a modern corporation in a sporting environment. It will also provide an understanding of the role of the board, the rights and responsibilities of shareholders in corporate decision making, whilst appreciating current ethical issues.Learning Outcomes
- Communicate effectively with the board and the Chair on all material matters and ensure the board is being provided with all information necessary to fulfil its legal duties and responsibilities
- Ensure the organisation has appropriate governance policies in place and that these are regularly reviewed by the board
- Understand the regulatory framework of international sport and the sources and structure of law within
- Put effective succession plans in place for the position of CEO and all senior managers
- Undertake bespoke units for different sports.
By working on a live business project, you will be able to draw on your previous management experience and add in the learning from this programme to:
- Undertake a rigorous and critical business project either in the UK or overseas
- Understand and apply theory and practice to business/organisational issues by using appropriate research and problem-solving processes
- Develop and demonstrate critical analysis, rigorous enquiry, clear expression, independent judgement and reflection using relevant theory.