Terms and Conditions
A) The terms below relate to ticket/delegate bookings only. For sponsorship packages, please scroll down to Section B
1. In these terms and conditions the following expressions have the following meanings:
the course, programme or event/conference which you book as referred to in our booking confirmation under condition 2, being (a) an SPD Course; (b) an Individual Certificate Course; (c) the IoD Certificate Programme; (d) the IoD Diploma; or (e) the IoD Combined Programme;
the fee for the Course which you accept when booking and, if you transfer the Course, reference to the Course Fee after that transfer will mean the total amount which you pay under condition 5(c);
any course forming part of the IoD Certificate Programme;
the fees which are payable to us under these Terms;
the Institute of Directors;
“IoD Certificate Programme”
the programme of all Certificate Courses booked as a package leading to the award, subject to an examination pass, of a certificate by the IoD;
the course following on from the IoD Certificate Programme and leading to the award, subject to an examination pass, of a diploma by the IoD;
“IoD Combined Programme”
the IoD Certificate Programme and the IoD Diploma where booked as a package;
“Individual Certificate Course”
any Certificate Course which is booked separately and not as part of the IoD Certificate Programme;
in relation to a Certificate Course or the IoD Diploma, the part of the Course Fee applicable to that Certificate Course or the IoD Diploma as if it had been booked separately and not as part of the IoD Certificate Programme or IoD Combined Programme;
any course, programme, event or conference other than the IoD Certificate Programme, the IoD Diploma, the IoD Combined Programme or any Individual Certificate Course;
these terms and conditions;
the total amount which is payable under condition 5(c);
Salford Professional Development Ltd;
Monday to Friday excluding bank and public holidays in England.
2. Bookings for SPD Courses must be made online or by email or telephone. Bookings for the IoD Certificate Programme, the IoD Diploma, the IoD Combined Programme or any Individual Certificate Course must be made online or by telephone or by submission of a booking form by scanned email attachment or post. Where an organisation makes a booking for one or more employees, then: (a) our contract is with the organisation; (b) you must require each employee to observe and comply with these Terms; and (c) if any employee breaches these Terms then it will be treated as a breach by you. Each booking is subject to availability and is only binding if we send you confirmation by email or post that your booking is accepted.
Statutory right to cancel
3. Where you have booked the Course online or by email or telephone we must remind you of your statutory right to cancel the booking within 14 days starting on the day after we send you a booking confirmation (‘cancellation period’). To cancel you must send us a clear statement (e.g. by letter sent by post to Adelphi House, The Crescent, Salford, M3 6EN or by email to email@example.com) or you may use the cancellation form. We advise that you contact us to confirm receipt of your cancellation by calling 0161 295 3000. If the Course is scheduled to finish during the cancellation period, you must exercise your right to cancel before the Course finishes. We will refund any Course Fees you have paid within 14 days after the day on which we receive notice of your decision to cancel the Course. If you cancel before the Course starts we will give you a full refund. If you cancel during the Course, we will only refund the difference between the full Course Fee and the amount we calculate to reflect the proportion of the Course which has taken place.
Cancellation of all Courses
4. You may cancel the Course, and receive a full refund of the Course Fee, by giving us written notice if (a) we are in serious breach of any of our obligations to you and either (i) such breach is incapable of correction; or (ii) where such breach is capable of correction, we fail to correct it within 14 days of you requesting us in writing to do so; (b) we make any alteration to the Course which is materially adverse to you. If you fail to give us the correct notice for your statutory right to cancel, or you give us notice of cancellation in any other circumstances, then the table below sets out the percentage of the Course Fee which is payable or, if you have already paid 100% of the Course Fee before cancelling, shows if you are owed a refund and if so how that refund will be calculated. If you owe us less than 100% of the Course Fee on cancellation, then the percentage you owe will be deducted from the refund we give you. If you had transferred (without charge) to the Course you are cancelling then no refund will be payable.
Course Fee percentage payable
1. Cancellation of any Course (including Individual Certificate Courses and the IoD Diploma but excluding the IoD Certificate Programme and the IoD Combined Programme)
50% of the Course Fee for the Course where we receive your notice of cancellation more than 30 working days before the Course starts.
100% of the Course Fee where either (a) the Course has already taken place or started when we receive your notice of cancellation; or (b) we receive your notice of cancellation 30 or fewer working days before the Course starts; or (c) you fail to attend the Course.
2. Cancellation of the IoD Certificate Programme or the IoD Combined Programme more than 25 working days before it starts
20% of the Course Fee for the IoD Certificate Programme or the IoD Combined Programme where we receive your notice of cancellation 25 or more working days before the first Certificate Course starts.
3. Cancellation of the IoD Certificate Programme or the IoD Combined Programme after it starts or where you give fewer than 25 working days’ notice
A) IoD Certificate/Combined Programme has not started when you give notice but the notice you give is too short:
100% of the Course Fee for the IoD Certificate Programme or the IoD Combined Programme where we receive your notice of cancellation fewer than 25 working days before the start of the first Certificate Course within the IoD Certificate Programme or the IoD Combined Programme (as the case may be)
B) IoD Certificate/Combined Programme has started when you give notice:
i) 100% of the Individual Fee for each Certificate Course and/or the IoD Diploma which has already taken place or started when we receive your notice of cancellation; and
ii) 20% of the Individual Fee for each Certificate Course and/or the IoD Diploma which has not already taken place or started when we receive your notice of cancellation.
5. You may not transfer any Course if it has already taken place or started when we receive your request for a transfer, and the Course Fee you have paid for that Course will not be refunded. In other cases you may transfer only if the following conditions are satisfied: (a) you pay the Course Fee for the Course you are transferring from by the original due date for payment; (b) you give us notice of your request in writing (c) you pay us the additional amount (if applicable) set out in the table below (d) there is availability on the Course to which you wish to transfer; and (e) (if the transfer is of any Certificate Course, any Individual Certificate Course or the IoD Diploma), the transfer takes place within 2 years starting on the date the Certificate Course, the Individual Certificate Course or the IoD Diploma was originally scheduled to take place.
Transfer Fee - all Courses other than Certificate Courses and the IoD Diploma:
% of Course Fee
Number of working days before Course start date
30 or more
Transfer Fee - Certificate Courses and the IoD Diploma:
% of Course Fee
Number of working days before the start of the Certificate Course or IoD Diploma
16 or more
fewer than 16 but more than 5
fewer than 6
Once you have transferred, you cannot transfer again and you will not be refunded the cost of your booking if you fail to attend on the date/S to which your booking was transferred.
6. VAT is payable on Fees at the prevailing rate. You must pay each invoice we issue within 30 days starting on the date you receive it or, if earlier, 7 days before the Course starts*. Please note that if you book spaces on any Course within 30 days before the Course is due to start, then payment is due immediately. In the case of an invoice for a Transfer Fee, the start date of the Course you are transferring to will be used to calculate the 7-day period. We may charge interest at the rate of 4% above the then current base rate of Barclays Bank PLC on the whole or any part of any invoice which remains unpaid calculated from the due date for payment until the date on which payment is made (both before and after any judgment). Examinations fees for the IoD Certificate Programme, the IoD Diploma and the IoD Combined Programme are payable in addition to the Course Fees and must be paid directly to the Institute of Directors. (*If a Course will be delivered over more than one session/day, reference to the start of the Course is to the start of the first day/session).
7. We may withdraw you/your delegates from the Course if you fail to pay the Fees in whole or in part or you do anything unlawful, malicious or discriminatory or which causes nuisance, offence or annoyance to us, any delegate or any other person or which damages the reputation of SPD and/or the University of Salford. No refund of Fees is payable where you are withdrawn on such grounds.
8. We reserve the right, without incurring any liability to you, to alter any or all of the content, lecturers, timing and venue for the Course for any reason beyond our control.
9. We may cancel, suspend or terminate the Course if any circumstances beyond our control prevent or delay its delivery (including but not limited to staff shortage) or if delegate numbers fall below a sustainable/viable level. Apart from the return of the Fees you have paid for the Course where we terminate the Course, we will not have any liability to you for any loss or damage you may suffer or incur as a result of the cancellation, suspension or termination of the Course, including but not limited to any increased costs or expenses or any loss of profit, business, or contracts, or any special, indirect or consequential loss or damage.
10. All intellectual property used or created by or for SPD in the design and delivery of the Course (including but not limited to methods, techniques and processes) and in Course materials are the property of SPD, and you undertake and warrant that you shall not copy or reproduce the whole or any part of it other than for your own study purposes, nor transfer the whole or any part of it to any person.
11. By booking on the Course, you are deemed to agree these Terms. These Terms constitute the whole agreement between you and SPD regarding the Course and all other terms are excluded. You have not been induced to make a booking by any statement which is not set out in the booking form, these Terms or elsewhere on our website. The booking will be governed by English law and all disputes relating to the booking will be referred exclusively to the English courts.
12. Notices from you under these Terms must be given in writing by email or post (contact details are accessible on our website). If any term is held to be invalid in whole or in part, then that will not affect the validity of the remaining part of such term or any of the other terms. No variation to these terms will be effective unless agreed in writing by SPD. In these Terms words in the plural include the singular and vice versa.
13. Views and opinions expressed by lecturers during the Course are the views and opinions of those lecturers and we will not be liable for any loss or damage arising out of such views and opinions.
14. If a delegate wishes to have their details removed from the delegate register that is distributed to sponsors and delegates please contact us to arrange.
B) Terms and Conditions of business for sponsorship & exhibitor sales
1.1 The event is organised and managed by Salford Professional Development Ltd, a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 08127329 and registered office at Legal Services, 6th Floor, Maxwell Building, The Crescent, Salford M5 4WT.
1.2 In these terms and conditions, “organisers” means “Salford Professional Development Ltd” “exhibitor” means any person, company or organisation, and the staff or agents of that company taking display space; “event” means the Salford Professional Development Event, “venue” means the place of which the event will take place which will vary according to the event type.All applications to register for the event, are made subject to these Terms & Conditions (which shall apply to the exclusion of any terms imposed by you).
1.3 You acknowledge and accept that we have the right to publicly announce our business relationship with you which shall include but not be limited to announcements on social media. Such announcements shall not be disparaging or otherwise adverse to your organisation.
2.1 You will enter into a contract with us when you advise us on email or by letter that you wish to purchase a sponsorship or exhibition package. When we receive this communication from you it is binding confirmation of your company’s commitment to take the space booked and of your acceptance of these booking terms and conditions including the cancellation policy.
2.2 Should the organisers agree to hold a provisional space booking, the organisers reserve the right to sell that space to another exhibitor should the first enquirer be unable to confirm their booking on request.
2.3 By submitting the exhibition space confirmation either by email or letter, the exhibitor accepts without reservation the following:
2.3.1 the terms of the exhibition space contract;
2.3.2 all regulations contained in these terms and conditions, the exhibitors’ information pack and any reasonable instructions subsequently issued by the organisers;
2.3.3 all regulations laid down by the local authority applicable to the event;
2.3.4 all regulations laid down by the venue including but not limited to security, health and safety, fire and traffic;
2.3.5 all current Health & Safety regulations.
3 Exhibition floorplan
3.1 The organisers reserve the right to alter the layout of the exhibition at any time and in any respect.
3.2 Display space will be allocated to exhibitors by the organisers. Requests for location will be taken into account where possible but cannot be guaranteed.
3.3 Exhibition displays must stay within the allocated floorspace at all times.
4 Health & Safety
4.1 It is the responsibility of the exhibitor to ensure that his staff and any supplier/contractor working on his behalf, are familiar with and abide by all current UK and European health and safety regulations. The exhibitor is responsible for the health and safety of his stand during installation, use and dismantling. This includes provision of Risk Assessments, Method Statements and copies of public liability insurance where applicable
4.2 In order to create and maintain a safe environment at all times, all exhibitors and contractors must abide by reasonable instructions from the organisers and/or the venue.
5.1 Each exhibitor is responsible for the security and insurance of his own display and its contents.
6.1 No items may be removed or display breakdown commenced before the official closing time of the exhibition.
6.2 Any exhibitor failing to be vacate the venue of his stand and all other items by the prescribed times will be held liable to pay any penalties that may be imposed by the venue.
7 Staff identification
7.1 All exhibitor staff must wear the identification badges issued by the organiser at all times. Additional staff will be permitted upon payment of the relevant registration fees.
8 Stand fittings
8.1 All materials and stand fittings must be non-flammable or impregnated with fire-proofing solution in a way as to comply with all current safety requirements.
9.1 Exhibitors shall not cause any damage to the venue and shall make good any such damage at their own expense.
10 Payment terms
10.1 Payment is due 30 days from the date of the invoice. Any exhibitor not having made payment by the time of the exhibition will not be permitted to exhibit.
11 Cancellation by the exhibitor
11.1 All cancellations must be submitted in writing to the Organisers.
11.2 In the event that an exhibitor wishes to cancel the space booking, or fails to meet any of the payment obligations (whether as to the amount or dates of payments), then the organisers reserve the right to apply the following cancellation charge after 14 days and to re-sell the space. The cancellation if received outside of 14 day cooling off period - 100% of total stand cost to be applied. Where a booking is made within 30 days of the
event, the exhibitor will have the right to cancel but will not have the right to receive any refund. Cancellations made in writing within 14 days of the agreement will be exempt from cancellation charge.
11.3 Any payments already made to the organisers over and above the applicable cancellation charges will be refunded. Should monies not, at the time of cancellation, already have been paid to the organisers the cancellation fee will still apply.
12 Bankruptcy or liquidation
In the event of an exhibitor becoming bankrupt or insolvent or entering into liquidation or having a receiver, administrator, sequestrator or trustee appointed over any of its assets, the organisers shall be at liberty to terminate forthwith the contract with the exhibitor and the terms and conditions relating to cancellation of space set out in clause 11.2 shall apply.
13 Force majeure
13.1 If the event is abandoned, cancelled or suspended in whole or in part by reason of war,fire, national emergency, labour dispute, strike, lock-out, civil disturbance, inevitable accident, the non-availability of the venue or any other cause not within the control of the organisers, the organisers may at their entire discretion, repay the space rental paid by the exhibitor, or part thereof, but shall be under no obligation to do so. The organisers shall be under no liability to the exhibitor in respect of any actions, claims, losses (including consequential losses), costs or expenses whatsoever which may be brought against or suffered or incurred by the exhibitor, as the result of the happening of such an event.
13.2 It is recommended that exhibitors take out appropriate insurance against cancellation.
14.1 Each exhibitor shall be deemed to have full knowledge of the Terms and Conditions and is bound by them in all respects.
14.2 The organiser and exhibitor agree to the fullest extent permitted by law that the terms and conditions in the contract are in the place of any warranties, undertakings, obligations or conditions implied by the common law stature, trade usage, custom or otherwise as to the fitness for any particular purpose of the goods and services being supplied under this contract.
Salford Professional Development Complaints Policy & Procedure
Salford Professional Development(SPD) strives to achieve the highest standards in our services, but recognises that concerns and complaints may arise from time to time. We view complaints as an opportunity for services to improve.
- To provide a fair complaints procedure which is clear and easy to use;
- To publicise the existence of our complaints procedure so that customers know how to contact us to make a complaint;
- To make sure SPD staff know what to do if a complaint is received;
- To make sure all complaints are investigated fairly and in a timely manner;
- To make sure that complaints are, wherever possible, resolved;
- To gather information which helps us to improve our services.
To view our full complaints procedure please click here