Dean of School
Monday to Friday
Prior to being appointed the Dean of the school of Nursing, Midwifery, social work and Social sciences I was the Associate Dean for Business and Engagement at Northumbria University. Responsible for the strategic and Academic leadership for Business and Engagement in the Faculty of Health and Life Sciences and its contribution to the economic, social and Cultural developments in the Northern Region. The Faculty has seven departments, Healthcare, Public Health and wellbeing, Education and lifelong learning, Social work and communities, Applied Sciences, sport science and Rehabilitation and Psychology, consisting of 540 academic staff. I lead the developments of collaboration across the Faculty, University and externally with relevant organisations and stakeholders, to enhance the University reputation and generate new business, partnerships and income. Contribute to the overall effective and efficient management of the Faculty of Health and Life Sciences.
- Developing Business and Engagement Faculty Strategy and plan.
- Responsible for all Enterprise Income within the Faculty
- NHS Contract meeting for Education and Training
- Representing the University on a Regional, National and International stage
- Leading on widening participation, outreach and student employability across the Faculty.
- Responsible, for HIEF and KTP applications and Management within the Faculty.
- Faculty Lead for partnership working with the International Centre for Life and the British Science Festival.
- Faulty lead for reviewing Higher Apprenticeships
- Developing staff within Business and Engagement on Partnership working.
Previous Post: Associate Dean for Pre-registration Health.
Responsible for the leadership and management of the Pre-Registration Health programs; including Nursing, Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, and Midwifery and Operating Department Practitioners, consisting of 2,300 students. Leading, developing and effectively managing 110 Academic Staff. Specific responsibilities included strategic direction of Undergraduate Health Educational Provision working in partnership with clinical colleagues, NHS North East and Department of Health and Professional Statutory Regulatory Bodies.
Developed and lead Under-graduate Health Curriculum for Nursing, Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Midwifery and Operating Department Practitioners’. Developing and delivering the School’s Academic Development Plan.
- Responsible for a budget of £19,000,000
- International Business Development
- Leading the first undergraduate Health curriculum in the country, bringing all professional groups together for core modules, including working with Newcastle University to include medical students in Health Education.
- Work closely with professional regulators: Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC), Health Care Professions Council (HCPC), College of Occupational Therapists (COT), Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP) and College of Operation Department Practitioners (CODP)
- Responsible for Nation Student Survey (NSS) under graduate health action plan for the last 4 years. In the top 10 in the UK for student satisfaction within the Nursing and Midwifery program’s
- Developing and Managing Clinical Skill Centre • Recruitment, Selection and Induction of academic staff
- Develop academic staff capability through staff development planning
- Working with support services re Data Management, Marketing, Finance, IT, HR and Estates
- Lead on Environmental issues within the Faculty
- Development of Academic Development Plan
- Northumbria University Associate Dean- Business and Engagement
- Associate Dean- Pre Registration Health
- Head of Division of Primary and Social Care
- Head of Division of Children’s Nursing and Child Health
- Senior Lecturer – Children’s Nursing
- Senior Clinical Nurse Manager Children’s Services,
- Ward Manager children’s services
- Paediatric Staff Nurse,
- Post Registration Paediatric Student nurse RSCN
- Staff Nurse A&E and Orthopedics,
- Post Registration Orthopaedic Nursing student
- Staff Nurse A&E
- Registered General Student Nurse
- Leadership and Management
- Health and Social care
- NHS policy
Student Retention and Factors of attrition
Student wellbeing and resilience
Leadership in Health and Social care
Qualifications and Memberships
• Doctorate of Education Year of completion 2016
• Masters of Nursing Research
• Post Graduate Diploma in Education
• Post Graduate Diploma in Health and Social Research
• Master of Science in Health Science
• Registered General Nurse (RGN)
• Orthopaedic Nursing Certificate (ONC)
• Registered Sick Children’s Nurse (RSCN)
• NMC Revalidation Steering group
• NMC Quality Assurance Reference Group
• Council of Deans of Health UK
• Sigma Theta Tau. International Nursing Society
• Phi Mu Chapter
• RCN Education