Lecturer in Social Work
- Allerton C511
- T: 0161 295 2051
- E: email@example.com
- SEEK: Research profile
I work 5 days per week, with teaching timetabled on most days. Hours cary between 7.40am and 6.30pm
- I have worked in many aspects of social care over the course of my career including residential child care, residential work with adults with learning disabilities as well as worked within statutory children and families teams in various London Boroughs. I was Principal Officer for adults with learning disabilities across Hertfordshire County Council and just prior to joining Salford university I was responsible for safeguarding in SCOPE. Currently on a voluntary basis I am an Independent Visitor for a young person in the care system and also support in a night shelter
- Personal interests – Dog walking and TV watching
- Achievements - Joint Winner of Vice Chancellor’s best team award 2016. Publication of A-Z in learning disabilities. 2017
I teach on all Post graduate and undergraduate Social work programs and some pre-registration nursing programs. My specialisms are learning disability focused and I am particularly interested in values and ethics...Part of my role within the university is service user and carer involvement, to this end I facilitate the involvement of service users and carers in being part of the interview, teaching and assessment process across all programmes.
The main focus of my teaching is with the BSc integrated practice in Learning disability nursing and social work, where I currently lead the following modules Foundations in Nursing and Social Work and Decision Making in Learning Disability.
I am also still involved with practice education and usually supervise a student in practice.
My research interests are currently around quality health service checks for services for people with learning disabilities as well as a piece of research looking at Independent Visitors for looked after children.
Qualifications and Memberships
- Academic Qualifications: BA Organization Behaviour
- Professional Qualifications: CQSW and MA in Social work and Policy , Practice Teaching Award
- HCPC registered
Olsen, A., Pepe, A & Redfearn, D. (2017) A-Z of Learning Disabilities. London: Palgrave
Pepe, A, & Redfearn, D. (2103) ‘Advocacy’, in A.Worsley, T. Mann, A. Olsen & E. Mason-Whitehead(eds) - , 'Key Concepts in Social Work Practice', Sage, London, UK.