Dr Michaela Rogers
Lecturer in Social Work
- Allerton C604
- T: 0161 295 6506
- E: email@example.com
- Linkedin: https://uk.linkedin.com/pub/dr-kayli-rogers/4/4b5/98b
- Twitter: @MichaelaMRogers
- SEEK: Research profile
Monday 9.00am - 11.00am
Wednesday 9.00am - 12.00pm
For the past twenty years I have worked across the social care and social work sectors. My areas of practice include domestic violence and abuse, child protection and, more latterly, foster care. I am a registered social worker and a member of the College of Social Work.
I currently teach on the Step Up to Social Work programme; an accelerated programme sponsored by the Department of Education. I also contribute to the Professional Doctorate programme as I am the lead for the first module: Doctoral Foundations. I am a Teaching Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
I have a number of research interests including:
- domestic abuse, gender violence and familial abuse
- gender, trans and gender non-conformity
- hidden and marginalised communities
- anti-oppressive and critical practice
- reflective practice and reflexivity
- power/empowerment and advocacy
- narrative and voice
- feminist theory/critical theory.
Qualifications and Memberships
- PGCap Academic Practice (University of Salford) 2015
- PhD Social Work (from University of Sheffield). 2010-2013.
- MA (with distinction) Social Work (from Manchester Metropolitan University). 2007-2009
- BA (Hons) Social Policy (from Manchester Metropolitan University). 1996-1998
- 2015 - present: Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- 2015 - present: Board Member, Cloverleaf Advocacy
- 2014 - present:Reviewer - International Journal of Social Research Methodology, Qualitative Social Work, Social Work Education
- 2014 - present: Social Research Association – member
- 2013 - present: National Organisation for Practice Teaching - member
- 2012 - present: British Sociological Association - member
- 2012 - present: Feminist and Women’s Studies Association - member
- 2012 - present: HCPC - registered social worker no. SW85402
- 2011 - present: College of Social Work - member no. M102715
- Peer-reviewed journals:
Rogers, M. (2015) ‘Breaking down barriers: the potential for social care practice with trans survivors of domestic abuse’. Health and Social Care in the Community. Available at: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/hsc.12193/abstract.
Rogers, M. (forthcoming) ‘Transphobic ‘honour’-based abuse: a conceptual tool’. Sociology.
- Book chapters:
Rogers, M. and Edmondson, D. ( 2013) ‘Using Supervision, Reflective Practice and Critical Thinking’ in D. Edmondson (ed) Social Work Practice Learning: A Student Guide. London: Sage Publications Ltd.
- Other publications:
Parkinson, K. and Rogers, M. (2015) Get families involved to protect children from domestic violence, the Guardian Social Care Online, 23 July 2015. Accessed at: http://www.theguardian.com/social-care-network/2015/jul/23/domestic-violence-family-group-conferences
Rogers, M. (2014) TV Chef Lorraine Pascal shows successful fostering is about more than race, the Conversation, 24 June 2014. Accessed at: http://theconversation.com/tv-chef-lorraine-pascale-shows-successful-fostering-is-about-more-than-race-28348