- Mary Seacole MS 3.44
- T: 01612953863
- E: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter: @TomnlinsLucy
I have a 30-year history working as an RGN/RM within medicine, cardiology and management, prior to pursuing a career in education. I initially graduated with a BSc Psychology, followed by a PGCE and subsequently an MSc in Health & Social Care, more recently studying for an Educational Doctorate with a research interest in Emotional Intelligence.
Educational roles included Practice Trainer, APLF and senior lecturer/ Programme Leader for the MSc Advanced & Clinical Practice Programmes at Bolton University, and currently a lecturer at Salford. I am a regional RCN Board member and a committee member on the national AAPE committee.
I currently lecture on the NMP programme and on the MSc Advanced Practice in Health & Social Care programme. I am module lead for the NMP for Advanced Practice module. I also supervise PG dissertations and teach and facilitate on a variety of PG modules.
I was an external examiner at Suffolk University for 5 years and have been an external representative on 3 validation panels.
My research interests lie within Advanced Practice development, and EI in professional education.
- Foucauldian discourse analysis: dissertation BSc Psychology
- Widening participation and the professions: dissertation MSc Professional Development
- Suspended Educational Doctorate: thesis proposal Emotional Intelligence in Advanced Practice training – taught year one successfully completed
Qualifications and Memberships
- 2007 - 2010 - MSc Health and Social Care
- 2008 - City and Guilds Assessor
- 2004 - 2006 - Post Graduate Certificate in Education in further and adult education
- 1996 - 2003 - BSc Hons. Psychology 2:1
- 2006 – 2007 – ECDL
- 2006 – A1 NVQ Assessor’s Award
- 2006 - Nursing & Midwifery Council - Practice Educator/Teacher
- Feb 1990 – Sept 1991 - Bolton School of Midwifery - Registered Midwife (RM)
- Sept 1985 – Nov 1988 – Manchester Royal Infirmary School of Nursing – Registered Nurse (RGN)
- 1983 – 85 - 8xGCE “O” Levels + 1x GCE “A” Level
- Membership with: Nursing & Midwifery Council – Royal College of Nursing – University College Union
First, S., Tomlins, L. & Swinburn, A. (2012) From Trade to Profession – the Professionalisation of the Paramedic Workforce. Journal of Paramedic Practice. Vol 4, No. 7.
First, S. & Tomlins, L. (2015) Regulation, Governance and Professionalism, in D. Barton & Allan (Eds) Advanced Nursing Practice: Changing Healthcare in a Changing World; Macmillan Publishing Ltd: Basingstoke.
Gloster, A. & Tomlins, L. (2016) Contemporary approaches to creating fit for purpose Advanced Nurse Practitioners: Work-based learning and portfolio. Paper presented at ICN NP/APNN - Hong Kong 2016
- Advanced Practice
- Critical reflection
- Emotional Intelligence