- Mary Seacole MS 276
- T: 0161 295 0719
- E: V.S.Howard-Jones@salford.ac.uk
- Twitter: @UofScounselling
Monday 9.00 – 12.30pm
Thursday 9.00am – 1.00pm
Friday 9.00pm – 5.00pm
I joined the University of Salford in 1999 as a Lecturer of Counselling and Psychotherapy.
I have 24 years experience in Training Education and Management and 18 years experience as a Counsellor and Psychotherapist.
I have set up and managed Occupational Health Counselling Services in the NHS and in the private sector.
I am Programme Leader for a new undergraduate Counselling and Psychotherapy professional qualifying programme. I am also Programme Leader for our existing undergraduate Counselling Studies programmes. I am Programme Leader and Admissions Tutor for the PG Certificate in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. I am an External Examiner for Leicester University. I teach across a range of counselling and psychotherapy programmes and cognitive behaviour therapy programmes. I am a Supervisor of Counsellors and Psychotherapists who are currently in professional practice. I currently have a small practice in an Occupational Health setting in an International Organisation
My academic interests are in the utilisation of imagery and metaphor in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and how expressive writing and reading can be used therapeutically to help clients.
My professional background is in Counselling and Psychotherapy practice. My research interests are in examining how patients cope with anxiety provoking procedures. I am also interested in how the use of bibliotherapies can aid clients in counseling. I am also currently exploring person centred therapist attitudes to CBT before and after training.
Qualifications and Memberships
Member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy 1994 - current
National Certificate in Workplace Mediation - Accredited Mediator (completed Jan 2010 - Distinction – TCM Total Conflict Management
MSc Counselling Studies July 2008 – University of Salford
Certificate in Training and Education – May 2001 – Leeds Metropolitan University
Certificate in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy – November 1999 – Manchester University and Prestwich Hospital
PG Certificate in the Supervision of Counselling and Therapy July 1999 – Manchester University
Certificate in Critical Incident Stress Debriefing – March 1998 Stress Management Centre – Blackheath
Certificate in Training and Development – August 1996 Institute of Personnel and Development (IPD)
HE Diploma in Counselling (British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists Accredited) – June 1996 – University of Salford
HE Certificate in Counselling – June 1994 – University of Salford
- October 2009 – dissemination of research results to Focus Group participants and Manchester Pituitary Group – paper in progress
- 2007 – Independent research Focus Groups of pituitary patients all who have had brain tumours and MRI scans – resulting in MSc Dissertation submission.
- BACP Research Conference 2006 – poster presentation – Abstract: Coping strategies utilised by patients when undergoing and waiting for MRI scan test results
- 1st Regional Pituitary Foundation Conference November 2006 – Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham – Workshop on Stress Management for Pituitary Patients
- 6th National Conference Pituitary Foundation – September 2005 – Poster Presentation inviting participants for research
- Healthcare, Counselling and Psychotherapy Journal (HCPJ) July 2008 “Topics in Training – CBT Training for counsellors
- Healthcare Counselling and Psychotherapy journal (HCPJ) “Topics in Training – CBT Introductory Training” April 2006
Counselling older people: a systematic scoping review
By Andrew Hill and Alison Brettle
November 2004 – (reviewer of papers for this review – cited in the document)
- Counselling and Psychotherapy Research Journal Volume 6 Issue 4 December 2006 – Coping Strategies utilised by patients when undergoing and waiting for MRI scan test results