Dr Elizabeth Collier
Lecturer in Mental Health
Elizabeth is employed as a lecturer in mental health. She has worked as a staff nurse (advanced dementia & assessment wards), a research nurse, a ward manager and lecturer practitioner. Her interests and projects relate broadly to contemporary recovery concepts, evidence based practice, mental health and ill health in later life, long term mental ill health, life course, age discrimination and dementia. Her PhD focused on people who lived with mental health problems from early life to older age and is entitled 'A biographical narrative study exploring mental ill health through the life course'.
Dementia Theme lead Pre Reg. Nursing programme
- Nursing across the lifespan (MA Pre Reg. nursing programme)
- Implementing and evaluating nursing practice (MA Pre Reg mental health nursing programme)
- Developing Dementia Awareness (MSc Dementia: care and the enabling environment programme)
- Developing and changing practice (associate nurse programme)
A current research project is a small unfunded project evaluating the effectiveness of an innovative teaching session focused on age and discrimination across the lifecourse. The project has included working with student mental health nurses as co researchers. Other projects include European funded development of masters level dementia modules, knowledge and transfer partnership relating to training for carers of people with dementia, evaluation of a local mental health recovery service, older people with mental illness public consultation project.
- ageing and older people
- mental ill health
- age discrimination
- life course
- teaching and learning
Qualifications and Memberships
- Registered Mental Nurse (RMN)
- Member of the Higher Education for Dementia Network
- Post Graduate certificate in Education (PGCE registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC))
- BSc Combined Sciences (Mathematics & Psychology)
- MSc Nursing
Bennett, M and Collier, EH 2016, 'Health risks of people with schizophrenia' Nursing Times, 7 , pp. 1-4
Morrissey, M and Collier, EH 2016, 'Literature review of post-traumatic stress disorder in the critical care population' , Journal of Clinical Nursing, 25 (11-12) , pp. 1501-1514
Curran, B and Collier, EH 2016, 'Growing older with post traumatic stress disorder' , Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 23 (3-4) , pp. 236-242
Adshead, S, Collier, EH and Kennedy, SE 2015, 'A literature review exploring the preparation of mental health nurses for working with people with learning disability and mental illness' , Nurse Education in Practice, 15 (2) , pp. 103-107.
Collier, EH and Foster, C 2014, 'Age and discrimination : a life course perspective' , Nurse Education in Practice, 14 (4) , pp. 333-337.
- Older people mental health
- Mental illness
- Life course & biography