Breast Unit - SRFTP 81
|Placement Title||Breast Unit - SRFTP 81|
|Your Placement Contact||Hayley Pover - Send Email|
|Placement Address||Salford Royal Hospital, Stott Lane, Salford, M6 8HD|
|Placement Phone||0161 206 1173|
|Your University Contact:||Karen Staniland - Send Email|
About this placement
What is organised for students on commencement of placement?
Students will be orientated to the Unit by the Mentor
Please email the Placement Education Lead - Hayley Pover - for a Student Welcome Pack
What are the arrangements for mentors/assessors?
All students are allocated a Mentor who will work with the student in order to meet their learning outcomes
What shift patterns are students allocated for learning?
Monday - Friday:- 08.00 - 16.00
Monday - Friday:- 3 days 08.00 - 18.00
1 day 08.00 - 16.00 and 1 day off
What patient care situations are available in this placement?
- Assessment of new patients with breast complaints, either benign or malignant
- Assessment of Holistic needs assessment
- Post-operative wound care
- Observations of different breast operations
- Emotional and psychological nursing support
What nursing model is used for planning care?
Holistic needs assessments
What core clinical skills can be learnt?
- Wound care
- Effective communication with patients and multidisciplinary team members
What additional clinical skills can be learnt?
- Additional skills can be learned on spoke placements eg: Inpatient Ward, Theatres
- Observations of different breast operations, Breast Tattooing
What resources are available to help students learning?
Learning packages, books, library, the internet and intranet
What research and practice development activities are being undertaken?
The Breast Unit is involved in recruiting patients for clinical studies B-Ahead 2 and FHO2
- Research Nurses
- Clinical Psychologist
- The Christie at Salford
- Chemotherapy Suite.Unit
Breast Unit Philosophy
It is our aim to inspire and enable students to learn and develop their skills in a safe environment.
We will identify appropriate learning opportunities but continue to respect the patient's wishes.
Practice Education Facilitator - Andrea Surtees - Practice Education Facilitator, Learning & Development Dept, 2nd Floor, Mayo Building, SRFT