Day Surgery Unit - SRFTP 5
|Placement Title||Day Surgery Unit - SRFTP 5|
|Your Placement Contact||Barbara Douglass, Lucy Hickinbottom - Send Email|
|Placement Contact's Role|
|Placement Address||Hope Hospital, Stott Lane, Salford, M6 8HD|
|Placement Phone||0161 206 5387|
|Your University Contact:||Mark Mitchell - Send Email|
About this placement
What is organised for students on commencement of placement?
- Induction to the area Introduction to mentor/mentor team
- Induction checklist to be completed.
What are the arrangements for mentors/assessors?
- Team mentoring undertaken and there are 3 Teams
- Students are allocated a mentor prior to their commencement date.
What shift patterns are students allocated for learning?
07.00 - 15.00
13.30 - 21.30
The Unit opens at 07.00 and closes at 21.30.
Staff do either a 3, 4 or 5 day shift pattern and will accomodate the students shifts around which shift they would like to work and what their mentor works.
There are no nights and we do not work weekends or Bank Holidays including Good Friday, Easter Monday Christmas Day, Boxing Day or New Year's Day.
What patient care situations are available in this placement?
- Emergency lists - Occasionally
- Trauma lists - Daily
- Elective lists - Daily
- Pre and Post Operative Care and Discharge Planning using Patient Group Directives (PGD) as this is a nurse led unit.
- Learning Disabilities, Mental Health, Paediatric and Adult
What nursing model is used for planning care?
Orems Model used
What core clinical skills can be learnt?
- Admission, Discharge Planning
- Pain Management/Post op nausea and vomiting management
- Early Warning Scores
- ANTT technique
- Importance of thorough Pre Op Assessment
- Communication and multidisciplinary team working
What additional clinical skills can be learnt?
Insight into PGD and Nurse-led Discharge
What resources are available to help students learning?
- Resource File
- Staff Knowledge and Link Nurses
- Access to Trust Library
- Learning Packages
- Text books
What research and practice development activities are being undertaken?
- Infection Control Audit
- Patient Feedback Survey
- Student Evaluation about placement
- Development of new teaching packs by the link role nurses to highlight how national and local policy and strategy affect ward based practice.
- Pre-operative Assessment
- Theatre and Anaesthetics
Student welcome packs are available by email. Please contact the ward providing an email address so that you can print a copy off and bring it with you on your first day.
As a student nurse you will remain supernumary whilst on placement.
Please contact the ward well in advance for your off duty and a pre-placement visit if you wish.
Listed here are a few housekeeping rules to consider prior to and whilst on placement:
Punctuality - please be punctual for the start time of your shift and always ask the nurse in charge before you leave once your shift ends.
Uniform - please adhere to the University uniform policy for students nurses, you will not be required to change once on the ward.
Break Facilities - Tea and coffee are available, however if you wish to bring your own in you may do so. There is also a microwave and a fridge available in the staff room if you want to bring your lunch/tea.
There is a WRVS and The Plazaand Stotts Bistro within close proximity of the ward if you want to go off the ward for your break.
Practice Education Facilitator - Andrea Surtees - Pre-Registration Practice Education Facilitator, Learning & Development Dept, 2nd Floor, Mayo Building, SRFT