Ward H1 Medical High Dependency Unit - SRFTP 11
|Placement Title||Ward H1 Medical High Dependency Unit - SRFTP 11|
|Your Placement Contact||Ruth Mangaoang and Giphtie Mainoo - Send Email|
|Placement Contact's Role|
|Placement Address||Level 2, Hope Building, Salford Royal Hospital, Stott Lane, Salford, M6 8HD|
|Placement Phone||0161 206 5792/5793|
|Your University Contact:||Sue Walker and Melanie Stephens - Send Email|
About this placement
What is organised for students on commencement of placement?
- Induction to area & staff
- Familiarisation to model of nursing & monitoring equipment
- Introduction to caring for critically ill patients
What are the arrangements for mentors/assessors?
Mentors allocated prior to commencement, open to negotiation
What shift patterns are students allocated for learning?
7.00am - 13.30pm
13.00pm - 19.30pm
19.00pm - 07.30am
Long Day: 07.00am - 19.30pm
What patient care situations are available in this placement?
Patients with severe single organ failure e.g.; chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, pulmonary oedema, type 1 & 2 respiratory failure, myocardial infarction, pneumonia, Gastro-intestinal bleeds, diabetic ketoacidosis, drug overdoses, and intensive care step down patients. Acute renal failure, chronic renal failure, post-renal biopsy.
What nursing model is used for planning care?
Adaptation of Roper, Logan & Tierney
What core clinical skills can be learnt?
- Assessment of the critically ill patient
- Multi-disciplinary working with critical patients.
What additional clinical skills can be learnt?
- Non-invasive ventilation including BIPAP/CPAP/Hi-flow O2 therapy
- Care of invasive lines (arterial/central venous lines)
- Care of patients with tracheostomy
- Fluid and electrolyte balance
- Care of peritoneal dialysis
- Haemodialysis care.
What resources are available to help students learning?
- Referenced material on the unit
- Ward Staff
- Patients with various medical conditions
- Medical Team from different specialities
- Allied health professionals.
What research and practice development activities are being undertaken?
Continuously working towards trust objectivies and targets. Looking into developing an outreach service.
Spoke placements include:
- Endoscopy Unit
- Cardiorespiratory Team
- Respiratory Nurses
- Heart Care Unit
- Ward H2 - respiratory ward.
- Ward H3 Renal Ward
Practice Eduction Facilitator - Elaine Carter - Pre-reg Practice Education Facilitator, Learning and Development, Mayo Building, SRFT