Newlands Nursing Home - SPCTP 46
|Placement Title||Newlands Nursing Home - SPCTP 46|
|Your Placement Contact||Joanne Hodson - Manager - Send Email|
|Placement Contact's Role||PEL|
|Placement Address||18 Tetlow Lane, Salford, M7 4BU|
|Placement Phone||0161 792 0993|
|Your University Contact:||Cath Savin - 295 2728 - Send Email|
About this placement
What is organised for students on commencement of placement?
- Orientation and induction
- Welcome Pack and information on Judaism
What are the arrangements for mentors/assessors?
- Allocated in advance
- Team mentorship in operation
What shift patterns are students allocated for learning?
08.00 - 14.00
08.00 - 24.00
24.00 - 08-00
What patient care situations are available in this placement?
Nursing care of elderly residents with complex needs including dementia.
What nursing model is used for planning care?
What core clinical skills can be learnt?
- Fundamentals of nursing care
- Personal care - washing and dressing
- Support with nutritional and fluid intake
- Principles of infection control
- End of life care
- Care of residents with dementia
- Care planning
What additional clinical skills can be learnt?
- Wound care
- Maintenance and use of NG (nasogastric) and PEG (percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy) feeding tubes
What resources are available to help students learning?
- Dedicated student noticeboard
- Student participation in nursing care under supervision of mentor and other staff
- Access to internet eg for literature & research
- Information on Judaism
- MDT input - visiting healthcare professionals
- Access to "Aged Care Channel" resource, promoting the sharing of good practice among care homes, through participation from residents and family and staff
- Access to policies and guidelines
What research and practice development activities are being undertaken?
Regular audits including:- care plan audits, medication audits, mental capacity audits, visits from external monitoring agencies.
New Placement March 2012
Practice Education Facilitator - Andrea Surtees - Pre-Registration Practice Education Facilitator, Learning & Development Dept, 2nd Floor, Mayo Building, SRFT firstname.lastname@example.org