Endoscopy - PARP 40
|Placement Title||Endoscopy - PARP 40|
|Your Placement Contact||Margaret Cuffe - Send Email|
|Placement Contact's Role||
Staff Nurse, PEL, Mentor
|Placement Address||Rochdale Infirmary, Whitehall Street, Rochdale, OL12 0NB|
|Placement Phone||01706 517547|
About this placement
What is organised for students on commencement of placement?
- Tour of Unit
- Introduction to staff
- Assigned mentor
- Induction checklist
- Appropriate allocation to different areas of Unit
- Initial interview with mentor
Please download the Welcome Pack prior to attending placement
What are the arrangements for mentors/assessors?
Students are assigned a mentor for the duration of their placement. They will spend the majority of their time with them. They will also be assigned a support mentor who will assist the mentor.
What shift patterns are students allocated for learning?
As this is a day unit the working pattern is:- Mon - Thurs 08.30 - 17.45 (45 mins lunch break) Friday 08.30 - 14.00.
What patient care situations are available in this placement?
- Pre procedure assessment
- Patient care during procedure
- Care in recovery post procedure
- Discharge and health promotion issues
What nursing model is used for planning care?
What core clinical skills can be learnt?
- Communication with patients, nurses and MDT Infection control
- Patient observations
- Moving and handling Documentation
What additional clinical skills can be learnt?
- Knowledge of anatomy and physiology of the GI tract
- Blood glucose and INR checks IV therapy
- Endoscopy specific skills
- Administration of medicines
- Therapeutic procedures eg PEG insertion
What resources are available to help students learning?
- Books and journals
- Patient information leaflets
- Student information file
- Policy files and guidelines
What research and practice development activities are being undertaken?
Endoscopy related audits eg Barrett's oesophagus surveillance.
- Day surgery
- BCSP clinics
Students can asscess Endoscopy as either a four week hub placement or a one week spoke placement.