Neonatal Unit - SCBU - PAOP 9
|Placement Title||Neonatal Unit - SCBU - PAOP 9|
|Your Placement Contact||Caroline Looby, Vikki Wheeler Lynn Bowe, Zoe Stephenson, Julie Hobson - Send Email|
|Placement Contact's Role||
Placement Educational Lead
|Placement Phone||0161 627 8151 / 0161-656-1078 for Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm - Royal Oldham Hospital, Rochdale Rd, Oldham, OL1 2JH|
|Placement Web Site||http://pat.nhs.uk/|
|Your University Contact:||Kath Holt - Send Email|
About this placement
What is organised for students on commencement of placement?
- Student Pack
- Orientation to the Unit
- Resource Folder
What are the arrangements for mentors/assessors?
- Team mentoring
- Allocated on off duty
What shift patterns are students allocated for learning?
- Early 7:30 to 15:30 (7:5hrs)
- Late 12:30 to 20:30 (7:5hrs)
- Short Early 7:30 to 13:30 (6hrs)
- Late Start 14:30 to 20:30 (6hrs)
- Long Day 7:30 to 20:30 (12hrs)
- Nights 20:00 to 08:00 (11hrs)
What patient care situations are available in this placement?
- Intensive Care on the Neonatal Department
- High Dependency on the Neonatal Department
- Special Care on the Neonatal Department
- Neonatal Community Care Outreach is used as a spoke.
What nursing model is used for planning care?
Adapted Activities of Daily Living.
What core clinical skills can be learnt?
- Passing nasogastric/orogstric tubes
- Blood glucose monitoring
- Hygiene, Skin and Eye Care
- Monitoring Vital Signs
What additional clinical skills can be learnt?
- Discharge Planning
- Management Skills
- Respiratory Support Management
What resources are available to help students learning?
- Internet Access
- Teaching Packs
- Poster Boards
- Resource File
- Theory Books
- Education Team
What research and practice development activities are being undertaken?
- Extubation Trail
- Feeding Research
- Nitric Oxide Therapy
- Therapeutic Hypothermia (TOBY)
- Community Outreach
- Childrens Ward
- Outpatients Work with ANNPs; CAMHS; Phoenix Sexual Health Unit; Maternity (some restrictions); Health Visitors Liaison; Physio (Paediatrics)
Please can students not travel to and from work in their uniforms or work shoes as it is an Intensive Care Environment.