Failsworth Health Centre - OPCTP 6
|Placement Title||Failsworth Health Centre - OPCTP 6|
|Your Placement Contact||Tracy Mines, Joanne Byrne, Debra Mangini, Tara McGuin, Lisa Molden, Nicola Hill - Send Email|
|Placement Contact's Role|
|Placement Address||The Keppel Building, Oldham Rd, Failsworth, M35 0AD|
|Placement Phone||0161 621 3435|
|Your University Contact:||Julie Wray 0161 295 7296 - Send Email|
About this placement
What is organised for students on commencement of placement?
Introduction to the health centre and staff, and the general role of district nursing.
- Care of patients in their own home or treatment clinics.
- Care of patients in residential care homes
- Care of leg ulcers, venous and arterial leg ulcers
- Care of patients with eye problems, post cataract, glaucoma, blindness
- Palliative and Terminal Care
- Shared care with other multidisciplinary teams
- Acute and non-acute medical and post-operative care
- Care of catheterised patients
- Bowel Care - Acute and Chronic Diabetic Care - Insulin and non-insulin dependant
- Continence assessments and treatments
What are the arrangements for mentors/assessors?
Students are allocated an assessor prior to arrival.
What shift patterns are students allocated for learning?
8.30am - 5.00pm Monday - Friday
What patient care situations are available in this placement?
Caring for patients with various conditions.
What nursing model is used for planning care?
Roper, Logan and Tierney's model.
What core clinical skills can be learnt?
- Wound care, various clinical investigations, catheterisation, venepuncture
- Ear syringing
- Male and Female urinary catheterisation
- Recording of blood pressure and blood sugars
- Injection - subcutaneous and intramuscular
What additional clinical skills can be learnt?
- Central Line Management
- Use and maintenance of the syringe driver
- Care of suprapubic catheter
What resources are available to help students learning?
A student handbook is available.
What research and practice development activities are being undertaken?
Developing Integrated Nursing Teams.