West Team (HV & SN) - HMRCP 14
|Placement Title||West Team (HV & SN) - HMRCP 14|
|Your Placement Contact||Caroline Ridley, Justine Kershaw - Send Email|
|Placement Contact's Role||
The best method of contacting this placement is via email because the phone system does not have an answer machine and rings engaged when the member of staff is out of the office.
|Placement Address||Ings Lane, Pheonix Street, Rochdale, OL12 7DW|
|Placement Phone||01706 676302|
|Your University Contact:||Michelle Howarth - Send Email|
About this placement
What is organised for students on commencement of placement?
This is negotiated with the students level of learning needs.
What are the arrangements for mentors/assessors?
Each member of the West Health Visiting Team rotate mentorship of students on allocation.
What shift patterns are students allocated for learning?
9am - 5pm
Hours negotiated with individual mentor.
What patient care situations are available in this placement?
Clinics Home Visits Group attendances
What nursing model is used for planning care?
The Rochdale Health Visiting Service Model.
What core clinical skills can be learnt?
- care of the child/families at home or in clinic
- primary visits - follow up visits and support
- baby clinics / weight & growth and the relevance to health
- breast feeding advice and support
- child health surveillance
- immunisation advice
- developmental reviews (SOGs)
- weaning advice
- parenting advice and support
- sleep and behaviour management
- care of children with special needs
- support for teenage mothers
- support for women with post natal depression
- insight into nurse prescribing
- baby massage
- dental health promotion
- care of the next infant
- insight into domestic violence within families and its impact on the child
- mother and toddler groups
- support for fathers
- family planning advice
- smoking cessation
- support to help cope with language and cultural changes
- multi - agency working
- advice in maintenance of healthy family dynamics
What additional clinical skills can be learnt?
- growth measurement
- centile recording
- injection techniques
- record keeping
What resources are available to help students learning?
- student learning file
- professional journals
- access to library
- attendance to relevant study day/sessions
What research and practice development activities are being undertaken?
- developing breastfeeding support
- baby friendly initiative
- school health service
- district nursing
- childrens and families centres
- speech therapy
- paediatric outreach team
- paediatric physiotherapy
- asylum team
- practice nurses
- drug and alcohol team
- child health department