Silverdale Ward - GMWP 55
|Placement Title||Silverdale Ward - GMWP 55|
|Your Placement Contact||Carl Simm - Send Email|
|Placement Contact's Role||
|Placement Address||Prestwich Hospital, Bury New Rd, Prestwich, M25 3BL|
|Placement Phone||0161 358 2070|
|Your University Contact:||Kate Doyle - Send Email|
About this placement
What is organised for students on commencement of placement?
- Service - Security induction
- Mentor - Link nurse allocation - Introduction
- Student handbook - Operational Policy - Clinical Placement Orientation
Students have supernumerary status, however are encouraged to participate in clinical activities under the direct supervision of the mentor or supervisor.
What are the arrangements for mentors/assessors?
- EMB 998
- Prep for mentorship
- Associate mentorship course and updated
- Student link nurseLink nurse co-ordinator
- University link
- Clinical/managerial supervision.
In order for students to gain maximum benefit from this clinical practice placement, all ward based nurses (including those who are not mentor trained) are encouraged to actively involve students in the delivery of patient care and treatment.
What shift patterns are students allocated for learning?
7.00 a.m. - 3.00 p.m.
1.00 pm - 9.00
8.45 p.m. - 7.15a.m.
Student off-duty rotas are to be planned and students are expected to work with their mentor for a minimum of 3 out of 5 shifts (RCN 202)
What patient care situations are available in this placement?
- Primary nursing/assessment/planning/implementation/reviewsCare
- Programme Approach/Mental Health ActComplex/challenging needs/personality disorder/therapeutic relationship
- NMC/confidentiality/holistic (bio-psycho-social) care
What nursing model is used for planning care?
Health Care Model (Hodge) bio/psycho/social/political
What core clinical skills can be learnt?
What additional clinical skills can be learnt?
- Communication (IT - written-verbal)
- Medication administration oral - depot
- Time management
- 1:1 sessionsGroup sessions
- MDT approach/Risk management
- Boundary setting
- De-escalation techniques
- Therapeutic risk taking
- Care planning implementation
- CPA reviews.
What resources are available to help students learning?
- Mentors/associate mentors
- Student resource room
- Onion model
- PBL trigger folders
- Desktop folders
- Assessment tools
- Psychosocial Intervention folders
- Practice nurse
- Evidence Based Practice
- Mental Health Act
- Notice boards
What research and practice development activities are being undertaken?
- Structured day
- Psychosocial interventions
- Motivational interviewing
- START-risk assessment
- Student development topics
- World model
- Reflection models
- Clinical - Managerial supervision.
- Wards include Borrowdale, Buttermere,Derwent, Grasmere, Hayswater, Rivington, Ullswater
- Occupational Therapy
- Duty manager
- Charles House
- HMP Manchester
- Clozaril Clinic
- Kenyon House.
If you are pregnant, please contact the University Placements Unit as soon as possible as you will not be accepted for a placement in this area.