Birch Ward - Acute Ward - GMWP 50
|Placement Title||Birch Ward - Acute Ward - GMWP 50|
|Your Placement Contact||Kelly Urion, Fiona Melding, Jill Buck - Send Email|
|Placement Address||Royal Bolton Hospital, Minerva Rd, Farnwoth, Bolton, BL4 0JR|
|Placement Phone||01204 390803|
|Your University Contact:||Emma Walker - Send Email|
About this placement
What is organised for students on commencement of placement?
- Induction via 'Ward Profile Induction Pack'
- Physical orientation to the ward environment
- Health & Safety to ensure safe working practices
- Information re working practice
- MDT etc
- Key nurse system
- Orientation to documentation allocation board etc.
- Their responsibilities and expectations discussed
What are the arrangements for mentors/assessors?
- Mentors/assessors identified prior to first shift
- Allocated on duty roster
- Negotiation between mentor and student re off duty arrangements and interviews
What shift patterns are students allocated for learning?
1.15pm - 9.15pm
7.30am - 3.00pm
1.30pm - 9.00pm
Night duty and weekends
What patient care situations are available in this placement?
- Mental Health Assessment
- Assistance with hygiene
- Activities of living
- Risk management
- Therapeutic activities - individual group
- OT assessments
- Physio assessments
What nursing model is used for planning care?
The Health Career Model
What core clinical skills can be learnt?
- Mental Health diagnosis
- 1:1 interview techniques
- Mental Health assessment
- Therapeutic activities incorporated into mental health assessment
- Admission/discharge procedures - incorporating care programme approach
- Mental Health Act
- Risk assessment management
- Violence and aggression management
- Hygiene issues - handwashing, infection control etc.
- Physical observations
- Admin of medication and injections
What additional clinical skills can be learnt?
Personality Disorder Therapy
What resources are available to help students learning?
- Internet (via identified qualified staff with passwords for access)
- Written information/documents
What research and practice development activities are being undertaken?
- Integrated Care Pathways