Beech Ward - GMWP 48
|Placement Title||Beech Ward - GMWP 48|
|Your Placement Contact||Jill Buck, Fiona Melding - Send Email|
|Placement Contact's Role||
|Placement Address||Royal Bolton Hospital, Minerva Rd, Farnwoth, Bolton, BL4 0JR|
|Placement Phone||01204 390750|
|Your University Contact:||Emma Walker - Send Email|
About this placement
What is organised for students on commencement of placement?
Students where possible will meet their mentor at the commencement of placement.
Local induction to ward area
What are the arrangements for mentors/assessors?
Wherever possible the named mentor will be there on commencement of placement. The named mentor or another appropriately qualified member of staff will carry out induction activities.
1.Introduction to the geography of the ward and unit
2.Introduction to the ward routine
3.Introduction to the ward philosophy
4.Introduction to policies and procedures.
A hand held induction package is available on the ward.
What shift patterns are students allocated for learning?
7.30am - 3.00pm
1.30pm - 9.00pm
8.45pm - 7.45am
Long days can be worked by students
What patient care situations are available in this placement?
22 (increasing to 26 where necessary)bedded male acute assessment
What nursing model is used for planning care?
The process of assessing needs, planning, implementing and evaluating care is carried out using a model of care based on the Health Career Model.
What core clinical skills can be learnt?
- Process of assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating care for patients with acute mental health problems
- Role of nurse within MDT setting
- Pharmacology and other treatment options
- Developing working relationships with patients and carers
- Role of named nurse
What additional clinical skills can be learnt?
Assessment of self-harm.
What resources are available to help students learning?
- A large number of teaching packages are available on the ward covering a range of different illnesses and treatments
- Up to date ward based staff providing formal and informal teaching
- MDT members
- Facility whilst on placement to spend time in the depot clinic.
- Spend a day in the ECT Suite, spend time in A&E, participate in therapy groups on the ward.
What research and practice development activities are being undertaken?
- Recent research into the uses of PRN medication utilised within the night shift
- Refocusing acute in-patient care initiative
- Developing in depth activity programmes on the ward
- Care planning audits.
Depot Clinic, RAID HBTT, ECT Clinic.CMHT
Philosophy of Care
We believe each patient is an individual with the right to skilled nursing care appropriate to meet his/her needs to freedom of choice in relation to accepting care offered, to independence, to personal dignity and to maintaining their sense of identity and individuality.
We aim to provide a high quality service to adults with mental health problems of a severity that requires in patient care.
We will assist the individual to achieve and maintain mental health enabling him/her to resume their normal lifestyle.