National Centre for Deafness and Mental Health - John Denmark Unit - GMWP 136
|Placement Title||Nation Centre for Deafness and Mental Health - John Denmark Unit- GMWP 136|
|Your Placement Contact||Kahani Awasare, Lindsay Quar - Send Email|
|Placement Contact's Role|
|Placement Address||Bury New Rd, Prestwich, M25 3BL|
|Placement Phone||0161 3580576|
|Your University Contact:||Will Hough - Send Email|
About this placement
What is organised for students on commencement of placement?
Orientation Induction booklet
What are the arrangements for mentors/assessors?
- Mentors allocated prior to placement.
- Student and mentor arrange interview within first week.
- Students usually commence on 9-5 then arrange shifts to fit in with mentor.
What shift patterns are students allocated for learning?
07.00 - 15.00
13.00 - 21.00
19.00 - 07.15
Long Days:- 07.00 - 19.15
What patient care situations are available in this placement?
The unit covers the whole range of patient care needs.
What nursing model is used for planning care?
CPA (Care Plan Approach)
What core clinical skills can be learnt?
- Mental state assessments
- Physical obs
- 1-1 sessions
- Diverse mental health issues
What additional clinical skills can be learnt?
What resources are available to help students learning?
- Library on site
- Regular in house training
- Regular academic meetings
- Resource files
- Skilled staff
What research and practice development activities are being undertaken?
On going research and activities to improve patient care.
Community team, occupational Therapy, Social Work, Community based facilities for deaf people, clinics
Philosophy of Care
The nursing team on the John Denmark Unit will provide a form of care as follows:-
1. Is specific to the clients individual physical, psychological and social needs.
2. Clients have taken an active part in the planning and delivering of care.
3. Respect their religious and cultural beliefs.
4. Is to the best of our ability is in the language of their choice.
5. Fulfils the 'Patients Charter', identifying a suitably qualified (1st level) nurse which is responsible for the care.
6. Is confidential within the clinical team.
7. Is aimed at the client fulfilling their full potential.
8. Clients detained under the Mental Health Act 1983, will have their legal rights protected and will have their right of appeal thoroughly explained to them.
We as nurses will treat our clients in an open, honest and respectful manner. Endeavouring to be empathetic and non judgemental.
We wish to provide an environment in which deaf people are able to communicate in their chosen language and is conductive to their culture.
John Denmark Unit.