Ward 83 - Transitional Care Unit - CMMCP 9
|Placement Title||Ward 83 - Transitional Care Unit - CMMCP 9|
|Your Placement Contact||Sarah Cesarion, Tracy Drew, Abubaker Suleman - Send Email|
|Placement Contact's Role|
|Placement Address||Royal Manchester Children's Hospital, Ward 83, Oxford Rd, Manchester, M13 9WL|
|Placement Phone||0161 701-8300|
|Your University Contact:||Michaela Barnard - 0161 295 3811 - Send Email|
About this placement
What is organised for students on commencement of placement?
- A welcome letter is sent to students when the change list is available
- Opportunity for student to give contact numbers and name of personal teacher
- Introduction to staff and environment
- Orientation booklet
- One week's off duty
- Date of intermediate interview
- Assessment booklet is signed appropriately
- Discussion about mutual expectations of placement
- Student feedback sheet
What are the arrangements for mentors/assessors?
A team approach is used.
What shift patterns are students allocated for learning?
07.30 - 15.30hrs
13.00 - 20.30hrs
20.00 - 08.00hrs
Some T.C.U. staff work 3 long shifts per week (37.5 hrs) (07.30 - 20.30 hrs).
What patient care situations are available in this placement?
Children with complex needs including:
- Neuromuscular conditions
- Spinal cord injury
- Congenital hypoventilation syndrome
- Children with acquired brain injury requiring intensive rehabilitation
What nursing model is used for planning care?
Roper, Logan and Tierney for assessment and Casey's partnership in care model for planning and implementing care.
What core clinical skills can be learnt?
- Hand washing, basic hygiene needs, oral hygiene, pressure area care
- Gastrostomy tube/button feeding, nasogastric feeding
- Basic life support
- Observations of temperature, pulse, respiration, blood pressure and weight
What additional clinical skills can be learnt?
- Tracheostomy care, suctioning, specimen collection
- Carrying out occupational/ physiotherapy/play plans
What resources are available to help students learning?
The Ward 83. staff together with Practitioner/teacher.
What research and practice development activities are being undertaken?
Opportunity to spend time with members of the multi disciplinary team including occupational therapist, physiotherapist, dietician, speech and language therapist.
Practice Educational Facilitator - Kirsty.Walsh@cmft.nhs.uk 0161 901 1854